Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Mac Minis?

• 18-07-2014 2:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had an old version of the Mac Mini (a 2007 model) and found it a grand machine but perhaps showing its age (plus some issues with Xcode). According to a quick check on google news there are rumours for a Mac Mini 2014 (with a Haswell processor)to be released soonish.
    My question for the Mac community is how likely is a new version due this quarter, thanks?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Manach wrote: »
    I've had an old version of the Mac Mini (a 2007 model) and found it a grand machine but perhaps showing its age (plus some issues with Xcode). According to a quick check on google news there are rumours for a Mac Mini 2014 (with a Haswell processor)to be released soonish.
    My question for the Mac community is how likely is a new version due this quarter, thanks?

FWIW: Macrumors buying guide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

September/October is generally the time for Mac updates. But the Mini's irregular release cycle is difficult to predict. The current Mini will be 2 years old in October. If it is updated then I expect a major update, like a redesign. If not I’d say it will be discontinued next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Could be that they're waiting on the new Broadwell tech to be available. That's what the new Macbook Air's etc. will supposedly to have, however it looks like there's been delays in getting the new Broadwell chips, with release dates being pushed possible in 2015.

As there was no mention of any new mini's during the developers conference, perhaps they're waiting until next year to launch any new mini's? Really hope it's not a product line that's dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Banta wrote: »
    Could be that they're waiting on the new Broadwell tech to be available. That's what the new Macbook Air's etc. will supposedly to have, however it looks like there's been delays in getting the new Broadwell chips, with release dates being pushed possible in 2015.

As there was no mention of any new mini's during the developers conference, perhaps they're waiting until next year to launch any new mini's? Really hope it's not a product line that's dropped.
    maybe because it's usually a software conference with a rare occasion where hardware is reveiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Yeah, true. They never announce hardware at the WWDC.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ujvZJxn4mvo - Mac Pro unveiled in 2013
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rqiYJWGMCxA - Macbook Air updates in 2013

Macbook Air and Pro updates in 2012 as well as announcing Macbook Pro with Retina Display... 2010 was the iPhone4 announcement....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an update: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/29/apple-references-unannounced-mid-2014-mac-mini-in-support-pages-document
    "In an update to a support document regarding Boot Camp compatibility on Monday, Apple added reference to an as-yet-unannounced "mid-2014" Mac mini, suggesting the company is — or was — planning a long overdue refresh of its smallest desktop offering."

However in context - other commentators have stated his was likely a typo on the updater's behalf.

Advertisement