Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell computer

Options
  • 15-07-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My dad got a computer they were throwing out of shop and office which has closed down. My brother wants to use it for his sims games with extensions. It is a Dell Optiplex 745 with windows 7. He can boot it but it still has a password. He looked up Google and tried launching in safemode with command prompt but it still asks for login password. Is there some way to reset the hard drive without a password?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows 7 generally has an admin password setup during installation, You can reset the password using this tool,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clara11

We try try this one and let you know how it goes! Get back to you later and thank you for the quick reply! Clara

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aesplin

You try something like AppGeeker. Download and create a iso cd/usb that you can boot from, then run it on the laptop.

Hi again, we are trying the downloaded program on usb and CD and we can get into boot device menu using F12, onboard or USB or CD ROM Drive is not available. We end up in Dell Sys 745 Set Up Utility and get to SyS Info etc. Drives, Security / Unlock Set Up /Admin Password .............. we are not getting anywhere with it. We don't know about computers but we think the cd drive and USB port are working otherwise.......? What are we messing up here, we can't seem to get the USB/CD ROM to start the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Lol, this doesn't sound dogdy at all!

Easiest option, remove the internal HDD, format it and install your own OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 FJFreelance

clara11 wrote: »
    My dad got a computer they were throwing out of shop and office which has closed down. My brother wants to use it for his sims games with extensions. It is a Dell Optiplex 745 with windows 7. He can boot it but it still has a password. He looked up Google and tried launching in safemode with command prompt but it still asks for login password. Is there some way to reset the hard drive without a password?

Use Ophcrack, If the password is not strong then it can crack it in minutes. Might be just better to format and reinstall windows.

Thanks for your replies it is probably the easiest thing just to reinstall windows!

Advertisement