Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a new home for a PowerMac 8600/200

Options
  • 23-06-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Does anyone want to adopt a PowerMac 8600/200? I need to find a new home for my trusty old workhorse this week. This really is for the enthusiasts among you (and you were keen when I offloaded a IIgs, don't let me down!).

You would want to be a bit keen:
    - It is big.
    - It is lacking a SCSI drive and a fuse. It will work with those installed.
    - It runs up to Mac OS 9.1 and can manage 10.1 with a bit of work.

It does have:
    - The beautiful 8600 industrial design, with zip, CD-ROM and floppy drives.
    - Cables and possibly a VGA adapter (if not, they're easy to source).
    - Optionally, an OS disc.
    - A staggering 48 Mb of RAM.
    - Onboard video (in and out).
    - An 3DFX card (only really useful with Mac OS 8/9).

I haven't tried to replace the fuse and unfortunately I don't have the time to try it, so I've pulled the drives (2 Gb and 4 Gb, so you're not missing much). Drives are ridiculously easy to install, as long as they are SCSI (so you need to know about the foibles of SCSI). However, considering its age it's no slouch, and runs old Mac OS perfectly well.

FYI: If I had bought Apple shares instead of this thing, when I bought this thing, I'd be able to buy Google now or something. Just sayin'.

I'm not looking for money, by the way, just someone who actually wants one to take it and get the use out of it. If you're in Dublin and stuck for transport I may even bring it to you. We can discuss it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Still available?

Yes! I didn't get to go to the recycling centre yet. Lucky you. I dug out all the parts.

Kevin

ps: I did manage to dig out the keyboard, mouse, cables and video adaptor. So, all you need is a SCSI drive, a fuse for the power unit and this: http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/pm8600.9600.ws9650.pdf - although you probably know what to do anyway. The PowerMac 8600 isn't rocket science inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

That sounds great. I'll drop you a PM.

Advertisement