Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10.9.4 is out!

Options
  • 30-06-2014 6:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update is recommended for all Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update:

- Fixes an issue that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks
    - Improves the reliability of wake from sleep
    - Includes Safari 7.0.5

For detailed information about this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6281
    For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iOS 7.1.2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Damn it, just upgraded to 10.9.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Strangely it took me two goes to do this. The first download took over 30 minutes for 92MB!! and when I restarted my MBP rebooted to 10.9.3. Did it a second time and the download was really quick and it worked.

Just in time before I clone my HDD tonight and replace it with a spanking new 512 GB MX100 SSD!!:D

tallpaul wrote: »
    Strangely it took me two goes to do this. The first download took over 30 minutes for 92MB!! and when I restarted my MBP rebooted to 10.9.3. Did it a second time and the download was really quick and it worked.

Just in time before I clone my HDD tonight and replace it with a spanking new 512 GB MX100 SSD!!:D

Hi, I did the very same thing not so long ago, that ssd seems really good. Would be interested to hear how you cloned your drive, there are many and varied ways of doing it documented on the web. I was thinking of doing a video tutorial at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hi, I did the very same thing not so long ago, that ssd seems really good. Would be interested to hear how you cloned your drive, there are many and varied ways of doing it documented on the web. I was thinking of doing a video tutorial at some stage.

Swapped my old HDD for the new SSD and it went remarkably easily. I put the new drive into a USB 3.0 caddy and connected it via USB. Then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my old drive to the new one. I liked CCC as it also set up the Mavericks Recovery Partition automatically on the new SSD.

Copying the data, some 300GB, took about 2.5 hours. Rebooted the machine using the new drive to check that everything went well and then swapped out the old drive for the new. There is a good step-by-step on iFixit.com on how to change hard drives.

All of my passwords etc. for websites in Safari were retained. Time Machine continues to work as normal. The only two issues were to relogin to Dropbox and to re-insert the activation key for Office for Mac. Not great hardships!

My machine now boots in about nine seconds :D and applications, including iTunes, Office, iPhoto and Aperture open 1-2 seconds ;)

I put together the following Step-by-Step guide during my research on getting a SSD. It might help someone else:

Step-by-step Guide to SSD replacement.

1. Switch on MacBook Pro;
    2. Insert SSD into external USB case and connect to the computer.
    3. A pop-up will appear stating that it doesn’t recognise the connected drive.
    4. Alternatively, open Disk Utility.
    5. Click ‘Initialize’
    6. Click on the list under "Partition Layout."
    7. Select "1 Partition."
    8. A warning window will pop up and ask if you wish to continue with the partition
    process.
    9. Click "Partition" on the warning window that has popped up.
    10. Click "Apply."
    11. Format the disk (go to Erase Tab), rename the drive making sure that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a single GUID partition as the format type.
    12. Type in a name for the drive.
    13. Click Erase and confirm.
    14. If you are asked if you want to use the new drive to backup data with Time Machine,
    click "Don't Use" or "Cancel."
    15. After the drive has been partitioned and erased, quit Disk Utility.
    16. The new hard drive should now appear on your computer’s desktop and the SSD will appear in Finder.
    17. Run Carbon Copy Cloner and choose Trial.
    18. Select Macintosh HD as the source and SSD as the destination. Choose the option to copy the Recovery Partition to the SSD.
    19. Click Clone.
    20. Once the copy has finished, close CCC and disconnect the USB drive.
    21. Test the new drive by reconnecting the drive and restart the computer.
    22. During the boot process, hold down the Option key.
    23. Choose the SSD from the options available.
    24. Shutdown computer and leave for a while to cool down if necessary.
    25. Undo the screws and lift off back lid.
    26. Unhitch the battery connector.
    27. Unscrew the old drive and replace with the new one ensuring to remove the old position screws from the old drive to the new.
    28. Reconnect the battery and boot.
    29. Go to System Preferences>Startup Disk and verify that the new SSD is selected as the start-up drive.
    30. It is also recommended to use Trim Enabler to enable TRIM on the new SSD. Note that with every .1 upgrade to OS X you will have to enable TRIM once again.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I did it differently, thanks for this it's pretty amazing detail wowsers.

I put the new ssd straight into the MacBook and closed it all up. I then put the old one into an external enclosure and booted from that into recovery.

I then used disk utility to format the new drive and copy from the external enclosure drive.

Made sure I could boot from the new drive and made it the start up disk in settings.

Advertisement