Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehearsal Studios Dublin - How's Loop?

Options
  • 11-02-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Looking to hire a rehearsal studio for next weekend. The band's first practice session. Had a look at the Loop Studio website and it looked good value, but I saw an 8 year old thread on here that was fairly scathing in its appraisal. Talk of the available drumkit and amps being of very poor unusable quality. Someone from the studio posted a few times to defend the studio saying that they were doing their best, but the rent is too damn high or similar. They said that they were spending money to improve the equipment.

Has anyone been there more recently? How is the basic equipment in the rehearsal rooms? For a tenner an hour, we're not expecting incredible quality just something that won't leave us completely frustrated. Where do you recommend if not Loop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I much prefer "Badland's" rehearsal studios in Harolds Cross. Equipmint is good, the rooms are neat and clean, and the owner, Pat, is a gent ! :)

http://www.badlands-studios.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I highly recommend Troubadour near Drumcondra. The studio and equipment is much better quality than Loop however, being in the centre of the city Loop trumps Troubadour in terms of location, unless you're coming from the Northside.

There was one occasion in Loop where I had a session booked with a band and had to return to my house to get felts and wingnuts for cymbals because they weren't supplied by the studio. Left a bad taste in my mouth. They're fine for a temp session but I'd much rather go the extra mile out to Troubadour.

honru wrote: »
    Loop trumps Troubadour in terms of location

..but because of Loop's location, finding parking can be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

And dangerous for your car windows....

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Brian and the lads in Troubador are hard to beat. I'm from the Southside but dont mind travelling over as the facilities are worth it. Price of hiring the room is reasonable, they are always neat and tidy, equipment is good and works reliably, I prefer it to Loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Rigsby wrote: »
    ..but because of Loop's location, finding parking can be a nightmare.

True, I don't drive so I rarely consider the parking situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'd also recommend Troubadour. Loop is a shíte hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Muppetini

Total ****hole - do not go near!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I got electric-shocked in Loop years ago. Needless to say, I never returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harpo12

If you are not living on the southside Troubadour is hard to beat - good equipment,clean rooms,parking and friendly staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Cheers for the advice lads. Went with Troubadour in the end on the back of the recommendations here. All I need now is some sort of musical ability and I'm set

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Yillan wrote: »
    All I need now is some sort of musical ability and I'm set

You can borrow this if you want :pac:

Talent%2BSimulator.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

We used Loop for the first 4-5 months, I found it to be grand. The amps are alright, but not great, the PA is similar and the drummer complained about the kit, but the location is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

I always use Loop, mainly just for convenience, staff are friendly there, but equipment is poor. Especially amps, best advice is to bring your own amp..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

I have pretty much rehearsed everywhere in Dublin and id have to say Loop could very well be the worst..aswell as being pretty expensive the equipment in terrible and the rooms themselves are just not very good ,they have two rooms seperated by a window and curtain so there is no sound proofing and you find yourself playing as loud as possible to try and drown out the metal 2cm of glass away from you..Troubadour is decent I have to say really clean and friendly staff but the PA'S are not great and it is a bit out from the city...So for me I would have to say Applerock on foley street is the best city centre studio at the moment in terms of accessability,price and equipment ..the staff are bang on too so that is my suggestion for any new band looking to set up camp

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭doh777

+1 Badlands, Harold's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mccubeical

Used it a few times. Equipment poor. Staff friendly and laid back. Hard to get free parking and loading gear can be an issue. Sound in some rooms is excellent.

We used it before playing Academy a few times and is a great way to chill before a gig. Literally 30 seconds from the Academy back entrance.

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

apple rock is used by my band. id recommend it. central and good gear. the guys that run it are very helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So for me I would have to say Applerock on foley street is the best city centre studio at the moment in terms of accessability,price and equipment ..the staff are bang on too so that is my suggestion for any new band looking to set up camp
    eoin1981 wrote: »
    apple rock is used by my band. id recommend it. central and good gear. the guys that run it are very helpful too.

+1. Secure, free, off-street parking too (though only room for about six cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jiveartist

Troubadour is where my and rehearse its comfortable, clean free tea and coffee facilities limited parking though, pa is average but adequate. Some of the drum kits are weathered but studio 2 as a cracking Mapex kit I have to say. Usually bring my own.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Having tried pretty much every place in Dublin at one point, the only one I'd recommend to a serious band is Dedsound.

It's completely class in every way.

MilanPan!c wrote: »

It's completely class in every way.

Such as...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

If you can travel a bit out from the city then I'd recommend http://www.camelotstudios.ie/ , Lance is a gent. Troubadour has good gear and the lads are great in there but the sound is head wrecking in the rooms, standing waves.

Dedsound, the guy treated us like idiots and the room sound wasn't great either.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Rigsby wrote: »
    Such as...?

He's picky about the bands he let's in, to a degree, so all the gear and rooms aren't trashed. He's absolutely great about giving the odd lend of gear, once he knows you.

He's honest, and easy to work with and on multiple occasions opened up the entire place to let us rehearse all day.

He, Ted the owner, is one of those guys that wants to help you succeed, and it's not an act. One of the good ones.

The only reason we left was we need a full time lock up arrangement, and he doesn't do that.

Otherwise, we'd still be there.

Just so you know, we don't really believe in using the guitar amps that come with these rooms and always bring our own gear, so I can't vouch for the quality of his guitar amps... but on a few occasions, when I did want one, he supplied with a nice fender combo and a nice AC30. The room sounded very nice, as long as you weren't playing overly loud (rooms are very soundproofed though).

If anyone wants to PM me I can give you a personal reference for Ted, as can anyone in my band. Always a paradigm of professionalism with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If ye get a chance check out Muzzle in Chapelizod, as a drummer I always felt the kits were good quality, the rooms we're decent sized and the lads who run the place are sound.

http://www.muzzlemusic.ie/home/

I have used Loop a lot of the time, and I know the guys, they are great, but the equipment is just terrible.. Went there last night, and hooked my JCM 2000 to a Laney Cab, it wasn't working.. Had to revert to using the LANEY cab, which isn't that loud, especially when you have thumpind drums!

I only use it for convenience, but I think I'l go elsewhere, possibly Troubadour!!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    If ye get a chance check out Muzzle in Chapelizod, as a drummer I always felt the kits were good quality, the rooms we're decent sized and the lads who run the place are sound.

http://www.muzzlemusic.ie/home/

Yeah its ok, the rooms are a good size..

Advertisement