Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art 2014

Options
  • 19-04-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I just made this to discuss the art exam. Mine is on the 8th and 9th of May. I'm doing the poster for my craft option, the theme is Vintage Emporium but I'm really lacking ideas right now. What are other people doing? I really need an A1 for this exam!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

My only option is to do the modelling, but the themes are just horrible. Really struggling for ideas... What are you doing for the still life?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Don't worry, coming up with the idea is the hardest part. I'm also doing the vintage emporium and its pretty tricky. If you're lacking ideas check out deviant art, its brilliant for finding art images. Or even just type into google "vintage posters".You can literally draw anything as the definition of "Vintage" is-the time that something of quality was built and "Emporium"- a large retail store selling a wide variety of goods.The examiners are pretty lenient when it comes to what you draw on the poster after all they are looking for the ART. The most important thing is to incorporate the lettering into the image don't just slap a few images and lettering onto the page the examiners want to see some thought behind the poster....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Don't worry, coming up with the idea is the hardest part. I'm also doing the vintage emporium and its pretty tricky. If you're lacking ideas check out deviant art, its brilliant for finding art images. Or even just type into google "vintage posters".You can literally draw anything as the definition of "Vintage" is-the time that something of quality was built and "Emporium"- a large retail store selling a wide variety of goods.The examiners are pretty lenient when it comes to what you draw on the poster after all they are looking for the ART. The most important thing is to incorporate the lettering into the image don't just slap a few images and lettering onto the page the examiners want to see some thought behind the poster....

I have a couple of ideas, shant go in to much deyail on here, but one is more 1920s/French themed and the other is more 60s. I managed an A1 for my poster in the mocks but now I'm totally stressed out because it's real!! What kind of lettering do you recommend? I used a really simple one for the mocks because it was effective.

Jones82 wrote: »
    My only option is to do the modelling, but the themes are just horrible. Really struggling for ideas... What are you doing for the still life?

I think I will do passage C and colour it using Derwent watercolour pencils because they are easy and look like paint. How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SuperRobotWars

Honestly stress is good, I know that's weird to say but I would be worried if you said you weren't stressed at all :). 1920s or 60s theme is what I would say a lot of people are doing as its the first thing you should think of when you hear "vintage". I suggest checking out different styles of calligraphy just do a quick google search but as you said you did plain lettering and got an A1 so "if it ain't broke don't fix it" as they say. What I mean is if it fits the poster then by all means use it but don't make it complicated and intricate just for the sake of it! You only have 5 hours in the exam and the examiner know this so focus on the main images in your poster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The only Design that I think I can do is a CD cover for "Dreamer's Garden" in Adv Design.

But I have no idea where to start!

Honestly stress is good, I know that's weird to say but I would be worried if you said you weren't stressed at all :). 1920s or 60s theme is what I would say a lot of people are doing as its the first thing you should think of when you hear "vintage". I suggest checking out different styles of calligraphy just do a quick google search but as you said you did plain lettering and got an A1 so "if it ain't broke don't fix it" as they say. What I mean is if it fits the poster then by all means use it but don't make it complicated and intricate just for the sake of it! You only have 5 hours in the exam and the examiner know this so focus on the main images in your poster.

Tbh I usually just go on Microsoft word and print out lettering from that, I like Bauhaus 93 and I have done a few of these 'gatsby-like' fonts before I know people usually think of the 20s and 60s but I'm thinking of going down a more bric-a-brac route rather than fashion.

Oh yes, you know the sheet one brings into the exam with them(can't remember what it's called) for example, if I'm including an item in my finished poster, can I glue a photograph of it to the sheet I bring in with me? Or do I have to modify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Are most people doing poster? Not enjoying this prep sheet!! :confused:

oncex wrote: »
    Are most people doing poster? Not enjoying this prep sheet!! :confused:

I don't think so, because in my school 2 of us are doing a poster and the rest are either doing fabric printing or pottery. And I am not enjoying the prep sheet one bit either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SaoirseDuggan

Hey, a REALLY great website for fonts is "dafont.com" you just download the font onto your laptop, all the different fonts are categorised its so helpful! I got my font from here and I'm doing vintage emporium! :)

• Advertisement

I don't think so, because in my school 2 of us are doing a poster and the rest are either doing fabric printing or pottery. And I am not enjoying the prep sheet one bit either!

I'm not either i'm doing pottery also. Strange themes. Does anyone have any idea where I can find sample prep sheets? There are some on google but they seem relatively ordinary/JC level. I know they're not technically worth anything but its nice to make a good impression.

Hey, a REALLY great website for fonts is "dafont.com" you just download the font onto your laptop, all the different fonts are categorised its so helpful! I got my font from here and I'm doing vintage emporium! :)

I just checked it out, it looks great!! I will have a proper look tonight. Thankss

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Im the only one in my year doing a poster so I guess not? Idk :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    Im the only one in my year doing a poster so I guess not? Idk :pac:

Everyone I know is... and I mean everyone. Which title are you picking peekachoo? Tattoo one is a dream!!

also the chief examiners report is here...
    http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/Chief_Examiners_Report_Art_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andreww96

no idea what to do for the poster?

Everyone I know is... and I mean everyone. Which title are you picking peekachoo? Tattoo one is a dream!!

also the chief examiners report is here...
    http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/Chief_Examiners_Report_Art_2013.pdf

Yeah I'm doing the tattoo one.
    I was worried about it being such a widespread theme and craft but I think I have an edge being the only one in my school doing a poster (they're corrected in the school aren't they?)
    I'm actually delighted with it, I have my prep sheet done and my teacher and an external teacher have seen my mock poster and love it so fingers crossed it at least goes better than last year :D how about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EeEn

I'm doing The Vintage Emporium as a poster and have lots of ideas but finding it hard to convert into a good poster. Tried thinking of things like vintage shops being a door to the past, looking back in time (clocks, mirrors..) etc but the best image i can come up with is an old fashioned shop front.. Is this too basic for HL?!

EeEn wrote: »
    I'm doing The Vintage Emporium as a poster and have lots of ideas but finding it hard to convert into a good poster. Tried thinking of things like vintage shops being a door to the past, looking back in time (clocks, mirrors..) etc but the best image i can come up with is an old fashioned shop front.. Is this too basic for HL?!

I don't think anything is too basic as long as it is creative and technically good, and that it is effective, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LC_artist

Anyone doing puppetry??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LeeSilver

Hi, im doing puppetry and I was wondering how much of the body can you make before the exam? Im doing "a creature of the night" btw

• Advertisement

Hey guys, what are you putting on your prep sheets? What is the photograph to your own artwork ratio? I know it isn't marked but I want to be sure.

LeeSilver wrote: »
    Hi, im doing puppetry and I was wondering how much of the body can you make before the exam? Im doing "a creature of the night" btw

You make the whole puppet, and the clothes. In the exam you paint the puppet or whatever, and you dress it

Hey guys, what are you putting on your prep sheets? What is the photograph to your own artwork ratio? I know it isn't marked but I want to be sure.

Anything that can inspire you thats related to the theme!

Second question, my teacher says 5 of your own to 5 photos.
    the teacher in the other school says 90% is your own work.
    I have no idea :P
    my prep sheet has 6 paintings I did, 2 photos and 3 different samples of text I did out (poster)
    If that helps :pac:

Anything that can inspire you thats related to the theme!

Second question, my teacher says 5 of your own to 5 photos.
    the teacher in the other school says 90% is your own work.
    I have no idea :P
    my prep sheet has 6 paintings I did, 2 photos and 3 different samples of text I did out (poster)
    If that helps :pac:

question.. are these images printed from the internet or magazines or what?

question.. are these images printed from the internet or magazines or what?

As far as I know they can be from anywhere?

As far as I know they can be from anywhere?

Ya im undecided as to if internet ones look lazy? I dunno :confused:

Ya im undecided as to if internet ones look lazy? I dunno :confused:

Nah mine are from the internet! :)

Had my craft exam today. Did the "chaos" option.. and tbh thats the way it ended up. Not sure if I was happy with it or not. i suppose we'll see for sure once i paint it.

when you bring your lettering into the exam with you, does it have to be the entire alphabet or can it just be 'The Vintage Emporium' typed out? or is there no rule relating to this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Wait, I thought the prep sheet was supposed to be completely your work :eek: My teacher said I can only put down my sketches..

Is anyone here doing Still Life? If yes, are you drawing anything other than food? Almost every object I found in the passages is food..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement