Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing vs Boarding

Options
  • 21-03-2014 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

The age old question. Cant see a thread on here so feck it... Shoot me! lol

I started skiing but didnt like it then went boarding on my second hol and loved it.
    Have since done 4 more hols and now about intermediate id say. Comfortable riding switch, 180 degree jumps, waist deep pow off piste and almost ready to graduate to the bigger jumps in the park...

But its starting to annoy me: clipping in and out all the time, wet backside from sitting around, the long walks (esp one one side of the road in fecking Lech!!), not being able to go to some of the trails the skiiers can cause the can plough uphill

I think i might go back to being a beginner again and try the skiing.

The say its much harder to be a good skiier, whereas boarding is very hard at the start but easier to get good... Is this true?

Plus its like 90% skiiers on the hills theses days. All the youtube vids are of skiiers doing mad stuff like saloman freeski, not boarding.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

It a decision only you can make.
    100 different people will give you 100 different opinions.
    As a snowboarder, I find what you are saying quite incongruent. Clipping in and out all the time and wet backsides are beginner issues, If you are running round in waist deep off piste I'm wondering if you are riding beyond your abilities. I've never seen you ride, I'm just going based on your comment.
    If you are running around off piste then you should have the ability to judge uphill sections and carry enough speed to get you over uphill sections. I'm not having a go, that's just my experience.

If you want to ski because 90% of the people on the hills ski then knock yourself out. As for heavy video parts, I've seen people do amazing things on both boards and skis, but don't forget that those guys are pro, I've seen too many bad injuries on the hill because people do not know their limits.

At the end of the day getting up on the hill for me is about having fun. If you are thinking about skiing, then try it. I'm not sure if anyone on this forum will be able to influence you. For every person who does not like clipping in and out of a snowboard you'll find someone who hates ski boots.

Have fun and stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So you don't clip in and out at packed lifts? Or sit when you wait for friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I've no interest in skiing. A mate that goes boarding with me wants us to get ski lessons for a day for ****s and giggles. To me it simply doesn't look like fun except for the pros you see on youtube dropping off a mountain top who’ve been at it since infancy, have no fear and are as comfortable upside down on skis as I’d be sitting on a couch.

If it appeals to you give it another go. Who knows you could be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Whatever makes you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

When you say 90% are skiers, what resort are you talking about? It's very much resort dependent... Have you been to Mayrhofen?

Have you tried Flow bindings or similar fast release system? I have Flows, they're great for around the piste and no sitting on your arse. The only one thing I don't like about Flows is clipping out if you fall in powder. It can be hard to clear enough area to release the binding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Dr Nic wrote: »
    So you don't clip in and out at packed lifts? Or sit when you wait for friends?

As Stevire suggested, try Flow bindings, and get a pair of proper waterproof pants.

There will be certain inconveniences you'll have to allow for 2000m up a snow-covered mountain, in winter, regardless of the sport you choose - if you pick skiing you'll have to deal with the hard shell boots and carrying around poles and skis.

I've been boarding about 15 years now and I've no idea about these long walks you're referring to, maybe it's the resort you've picked, but I'd say I have to step off the board about twice per holiday, on flat terrain, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

This is what you want. http://bonhiver.com/

Haven't seen first hand and unsure how it would perform v's a traditional binding but it is an interest product.

Youtube link too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-hfxYyMNTQ

Advertisement