Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally it's back

• 14-01-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭

10cm in the village 30+ up too and still snowing Zero visibility but snow forecast all night and clearer weather tomorrow!! Better charge the go pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Where's that Fattes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The 3 valley's webcams are starting to look a bit better as well. Roll on the 25th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭prunudo

Badly needed in some parts, going by the Austrian cams it's still lacking though. Looks like my gamble to go to Sauze D'oulx (with its supposed bad snow record!) this year is going to pay off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Where's that Fattes?

It's a secret ;) ha ha PM sent

Badly needed everywhere to be honest especially below 1,400 meters. It's knee deep down to the village here and still snowing. Had to come off the hill as viz is about 1/2 an inch but tomorrow is meant to be clear and fresh snow every night this week

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Where's that Fattes?

It's a secret ;) ha ha PM sent

Badly needed everywhere to be honest especially below 1,400 meters. It's knee deep down to the village here and still snowing. Had to come off the hill as viz is about 1/2 an inch but tomorrow is meant to be clear and fresh snow every night this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fattes wrote: »
    It's a secret ;)

Soll obv; )

Looks like I mis-timed my trip by a week - enjoy fattes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

The 3 valley's webcams are starting to look a bit better as well. Roll on the 25th!

Too much snow in val thorens in my opinion, turned a 2 hr bus journey into a 7 hour slog :(

It's waist deep in places, we were getting face shots every 3/4 th run! And still 2 hours charging to go.

It's Engelberg Switzerland for those of you interested

The grin on everyone's face is resort is huge

Too much snow in val thorens in my opinion, turned a 2 hr bus journey into a 7 hour slog :(

It will be well worth it when you hit the slopes with some fresh snow.

What is it like today? The OH is going to Meribel (from Lyon) this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It will be well worth it when you hit the slopes with some fresh snow.

What is it like today? The OH is going to Meribel (from Lyon) this afternoon.

Was there for new years so back a few days. There's no shortage of snow that's for sure. It's one of the highest resorts in Europe. Meribel and courchival are similar.

• Advertisement

You absolute bastard fattes. One resort i've always wanted to go to and one you really need powder to justify a visit.

You absolute bastard fattes. One resort i've always wanted to go to and one you really need powder to justify a visit.

a148pro; So i shouldn't post the Go pro footage later???? The atmosphere here today was incredible!!! People fist bumping strangers, High Fiving each other and generally cheering people on form the lift! it was waist deep all day! The sun was out and there were face shots on offer at times!

I am siting here with a huge **** eating grin on my face!

I am also here for the season so if you want to visit last minute plenty of room on my floor with sleeping bag provided and a 4 minute walk to the lift!!!!

Well an ok day then

I am also here for the season so if you want to visit last minute plenty of room on my floor with sleeping bag provided and a 4 minute walk to the lift!!!!

Dude i've a real job (not your powder searching life of Riley) and an 18 month year old, plus my one ski pass of the year has now expired!

Anyway I'm slightly suspicious of your fist bumping strangers; )

Enjoy dude, be careful please

Well thankfully not having a nipper is a big bonus :) But the offer stands if you want to get out here. In the mean time I promise, that I will charge hard and jump off everything in sight! All in your honor! I might even manage some BN Lines.

Well thankfully not having a nipper is a big bonus :) But the offer stands if you want to get out here. In the mean time I promise, that I will charge hard and jump off everything in sight! All in your honor! I might even manage some BN Lines.

BN?

By the way how many days piste skiing you reckon is in Engelberg as I reckoned from looking at map previously we might only have two days worth, hence why I was going to wait until last minute dump to go. I read online they've crazy long off piste descents there?

By the way nice powder conservation in those vids if I was there I'd be skiing the full length of slope out of control. There'd be a scandi lynch mob out for me. Never really learned how to do off piste right. Yet.

A But Naked (GNAR the Movie)

For me less than a day on the Titlist side! But that said, they are deceptive in the sense that they are long, even the slopes have altitude drops of 1,000 meters! and some of them are a lot of fun. There is probably another day on the Bruni side too.

Off piste descents there is a big 5 each of about 2,000 -2,200 meter vertical and if you are quick you can get all 5 in a day! Then there is countless other options. Did the Laub myself today and it was glorious!

Hardly powder farming, I am a big believer in First up best dressed!!! :) Screw you if you are late ;) But in this case it was terrain, I & others was avoiding a few convex terrain traps, and some large glacial crevassas. I was not so polite on other slopes there were large GS turns! I don't think you have any fear of lynch mobs here, the atmosphere was incredible on the hill today locals happy to dole out advice on lines and what every else you needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm going to 3V too. Reckon we'll be on the same flight. Dublin to Geneva 12:00 Sat 25th?

cormee wrote: »
    I'm going to 3V too. Reckon we'll be on the same flight. Dublin to Geneva 12:00 Sat 25th?

I'm not 100%, but I think we are into Chambery. What part are you going to? We are Courchevel 1650. I'm hoping we can make it the full way across to VT and back to get a run or two on Cime Caron!

• Advertisement

My tracks this morning for those of you heading out in Feb it's looking up colder temps and snow for most resorts

I'm not 100%, but I think we are into Chambery. What part are you going to? We are Courchevel 1650. I'm hoping we can make it the full way across to VT and back to get a run or two on Cime Caron!

We're going to St. Martin De Belleville (fun fact: it's where the Marquis de Sade set his book "120 days of Sodom"), which is in the same valley as Val Thorens, just way lower.

Cime Caron is pretty amazing, do it earlier on in your day when you have your full strength about you. Bloody amazing feat of engineering too (the lift), considering the altitude and temperatures it must get to up there.

We're going to St. Martin De Belleville (fun fact: it's where the Marquis de Sade set his book "120 days of Sodom"), which is in the same valley as Val Thorens, just way lower.

Cime Caron is pretty amazing, do it earlier on in your day when you have your full strength about you. Bloody amazing feat of engineering too (the lift), considering the altitude and temperatures it must get to up there.

It's my favourite run in the 3v! Everyone always goes on about Jerusalem, but I much prefer Cime Caron (apart from the queue for the gondola!)

Everyone always goes on about Jerusalem, but I much prefer Cime Caron

There's something quite nice about the Jerusalem run, I wasn't aware of its reputation/popularity when I happened upon it, but it does stick out in my mind as one of the memorable pistes of last year. For such a popular piste it seems pretty dead most of the time, I can see why people would like it though - if you like speed it would seem ideal, wide, nice slope and no surprises along the way, and there are also plenty of opportunities to nip off piste and do a few jumps on these little naturally-occurring ramps that seem to be on the edge of it. I recorded some very trippy GoPro footage on that slope, it's usually the first thing I put on the TV when I come home after a few pints on a Friday night!

Cime Caron is a whole different manner of beast, no humming contentedly to yourself on the way down that mountain, it's 100% concentration on those slopes! :D

Well it's certainly back the Swiss army are digging out the slope at Wengen to ensure races go ahead!

Most webcams showing snow falling it seems to be moving west to East and Southern Alpine resorts getting the best of it

Cortina Italy today

Cortina Italy today

Looks quite sleety, or is that just down to the shutter speed?

Looks quite sleety, or is that just down to the shutter speed?

Women's DH training cancelled according to some of the stuff I have seen its light fluffy pow!! Might be the flood lights!

Men's super combined live now from Wengen looks powder filled too

Women's DH training cancelled according to some of the stuff I have seen its light fluffy pow!! Might be the flood lights!

Men's super combined live now from Wengen looks powder filled too

Great. With 8 days to go I say, let it snow, let it snow! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Hey Fattes
    Not sure if you have ever been this far south; http://www3.lastampa.it/fileadmin/riserva-bianca/
    Limone Piemonte (french/Italian) border..
    Serious dump of snow last night!!
    Heading there for our annual trip on 2nd Feb, cant wait!

Keep up the great work on tips etc for us mere mortals!

Happy skiing everyone

Advertisement