Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lack of decent broadband, devalue property ?

Options
  • 01-12-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

would anyone agree that a property that is unable to get any kind of decent broadband is therefore devalued somewhat when trying to sell ?

I certainly wouldn't buy a house anywhere ever again unless I had line of sight to fibre broadband and LTE with good signal...

It's come down to me having to seriously consider selling up and getting out of here. My village is NEVER going to get decent speeds and I'm sick of it.

but - how will I sell my house to anyone with an ounce of sense ?

I'd see internet access as important as electricity and water, my job depends on it and therefore my income and quality of life. I'd therefore propose that the government has a duty to deploy good broadband the same as good roads and good water supplies, otherwise my house becomes worthless and unsaleable...

thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

sibergoth wrote: »
    would anyone agree that a property that is unable to get any kind of decent broadband is therefore devalued somewhat when trying to sell ?

I certainly wouldn't buy a house anywhere ever again unless I had line of sight to fibre broadband and LTE with good signal...

It's come down to me having to seriously consider selling up and getting out of here. My village is NEVER going to get decent speeds and I'm sick of it.

but - how will I sell my house to anyone with an ounce of sense ?

I'd see internet access as important as electricity and water, my job depends on it and therefore my income and quality of life. I'd therefore propose that the government has a duty to deploy good broadband the same as good roads and good water supplies, otherwise my house becomes worthless and unsaleable...

thoughts ?

House, by the way you were talking in the other thread I thought you were a business struggling on 2.5mbit. Plenty of people are much worse off, doomed to 3G and satellite by the shortcomings of successive Govenrments. Things will not change until a Government with balls take a grasp of the situation and makes it worthwhile for these private enterprises to get to each and every remote house in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭clohamon

Its pretty clear that rural dispersion makes provision of public utilities quite expensive, though its not clear if its a bad thing overall.

Rather than have an honest debate about it and then (assuming we were all agreed) do something about it, the government, in the form of senior civil servants, have decided to effect demographic change by starving the most rural areas of a basic public utility - broadband. The slow migration that sibergoth foretells, achieves the goal of reversing dispersion without requiring either a debate, or compensation to rural residents for the loss of value of their homes.

Lowering the voltage on rural electricity supply or increasing the fecal coliforms in rural water would achieve the same result but it might look a bit obvious.

So calm down, I’m sure we’ll realise, once we’ve all settled inside the M50 ring and closed over the gate, that the grey men from the department were right all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

smee again wrote: »
    House, by the way you were talking in the other thread I thought you were a business struggling on 2.5mbit. Plenty of people are much worse off, doomed to 3G and satellite by the shortcomings of successive Govenrments. Things will not change until a Government with balls take a grasp of the situation and makes it worthwhile for these private enterprises to get to each and every remote house in the country.

I work from home, if i don't have very good broadband i'm forced to drive 100 miles a day to the office.. i simply can't afford the fuel anymore. therefore my livelihood depends on good broadband AT HOME...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

clohamon wrote: »
    Its pretty clear that rural dispersion makes provision of public utilities quite expensive, though its not clear if its a bad thing overall.

Rather than have an honest debate about it and then (assuming we were all agreed) do something about it, the government, in the form of senior civil servants, have decided to effect demographic change by starving the most rural areas of a basic public utility - broadband. The slow migration that sibergoth foretells, achieves the goal of reversing dispersion without requiring either a debate, or compensation to rural residents for the loss of value of their homes.

Lowering the voltage on rural electricity supply or increasing the fecal coliforms in rural water would achieve the same result but it might look a bit obvious.

So calm down, I’m sure we’ll realise, once we’ve all settled inside the M50 ring and closed over the gate, that the grey men from the department were right all along.

LOL!

indeed. sure, nothing exists outside Dublin anyway does it ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if i was going to rent or buy a house/apartment I would not even consider it unless there was some sort of fibre broadband/upc with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement