Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android phone for under 100 euros?

Options
  • 02-09-2012 9:29am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think I asked this same question about a year ago and ended up going up to 200 for a phone for a gift (LG Optimus Black, which was a good buy for the price at the time).

This time, I really just want the most basic Android phone, for myself. In fact, the only reason I want to change from my current non-Android is that my last two phones have cost me a fortune in calling and sending random texts while in my pocket and I need a more reliable lock screen.

New or second hand in good condition is fine, I really just need for it to support a 32GB memory card and last a few days between charges. I don't intend to do anything apart from one or two calls/texts a week and listening to music on the way to/from work (an hour a day).

I'm thinking about a Galaxy Ace or LG Optimus L3 or similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's called a Samsung C 3300 player mini here. I'm not sure if it has another name but it's a very basic touchscreen device with Bada OS. I'm with a budget French network called PrixTel which doesn't really do handsets.
    They're basically pay as you use with no minutes or text bundles or any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Push the extra 10/20 for the Huawai G300. Well worth it

(I really think that should be a forum announcement at this stage :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Where's the best place to buy them? My dad is thinking of getting a smartphone and I'm trying to push him slightly higher than a Galaxy Mini on Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Cossax wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy them? My dad is thinking of getting a smartphone and I'm trying to push him slightly higher than a Galaxy Mini on Three.

Vodafone. Love the G300.

• Advertisement

I would, in fairness, but they don't sell it in France and when I tried to get one in Ireland they wouldn't sell me one without a contract and even then it was 175 euros in a Vodafone shop. Where/how can you get one for 120?

€149.99 on Vodafone though there is a discount if you join their network but considering their woeful value for money, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cossax wrote: »
    €149.99 on Vodafone though there is a discount if you join their network but considering their woeful value for money, not worth it.

Get free SIM from a different network, switch that over, get unlock code for under €5

Get free SIM from a different network, switch that over, get unlock code for under €5

I'll have another look later (only had a quick one there) but only saw it on Vodafone?

• Advertisement

So... any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

HTC Explorer, LG Optimus L3 and Galaxy Y are available but only the latter two are under 100. There's an Ace for 70 on eBay listed as brand new which looks like the best deal I'm going to get.

There's an Sony Xperia Tipo for €99 on meteor. Looks like a decent phone!

Looks decent, but is 150 euros minimum over here.

Looks decent, but is 150 euros minimum over here.

Ah. ****, your in France. Sorry man! Well, if you can get the G300, go for it. :)

Galaxy Ace is no longer possible it seems.

Anyone ever used an Xperia X8 or Xperia X10?

How about an Acer Liquid Metal? I see one for 99 euros on ebay but it's hard to get reliable feedback on it. Seems like a fairly unpopular device.

Or a Huawei Blaze?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

How about an Acer Liquid Metal? I see one for 99 euros on ebay but it's hard to get reliable feedback on it. Seems like a fairly unpopular device.
    Don't do it...my OH had one and it was awful....tiny amount of on board memory so it kept complaining about low memory...couldn't install apps etc...

fletch wrote: »
    Don't do it...my OH had one and it was awful....tiny amount of on board memory so it kept complaining about low memory...couldn't install apps etc...

Good to know. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

In all seriousness. I'll send you my old Galaxy Ace for nothing. It's only going to sit in a drawer before a charity comes looking for it.

I don't know if you want a brand new phone or not but the offers there.

Locked to meteor though so I don't know if that's a problem.

Agh, ten minutes too late, I just bought one on ebay!
    Thanks for the offer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lads, just gonna hijack the thread, friend has €180 to play with, what am I looking for?

is it SIM free?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

No, but you can get an unlock code on ebay for about €7.

thanks. have you used eBay for unlock codes before?

• Advertisement

Advertisement