Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Activities Near UCC?

• 28-02-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

As i will be starting work in UCC shortly, just wondering about a good gym. I know that the Mardyke is vg and there's a staff discount. Brookfield would also be very convenient for me (Probably more convenient from what I can work out. It would also be nearer where my son will probably be attending school and to UCC creche).
    Does anybody have experience of the two health clubs/swimming pools/gyms and are there waiting list at the moment?? Your advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

no waiting list for either. Kingsley is a third one in the same area to consider. I'm a member at the Mardyke. I'm a runner and triathlete so the pool and track were the biggest considerations for me. THe gym is very good in the Mardyke though. My main complaint about it is that they run too many swim classes and OAP sessions and there is no lane discipline enforced in the pool. As a result, it is very difficult to do any serious swimming in the Mardyke. If this is not what you need, then I wouldn't hesitate to recomemnd them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

As a student you're automatically given Mardyke membership as you pay for it in your capitation fee (or whatever it's called) so there's no extra membership charge like there would be somewhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

If you do go to the mardyke go earlier in the day...otherwise you're inundated with people just hanging around...I'm not a strong enough swimmer to go in any of the lanes yet so I find myself waiting around a lot for people to stop standing in the middle of the pool chatting :rolleyes:

Early mornings make a huge difference!

keane2097 wrote: »
    As a student you're automatically given Mardyke membership as you pay for it in your capitation fee (or whatever it's called) so there's no extra membership charge like there would be somewhere else...
    but OP is not a student.:rolleyes:
    Mary70 wrote:
    ...starting work ...staff ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

there is also a fine selection of pubs around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There's a staff discount in the Jury's Gym too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've used the Mardyke and the Brookfield gyms and it's fair to say that the Mardyke gym is lightyears ahead of Brookfield regarding facilities. If you live near Brookfield you can walk to the mardyke easily - just cut through the Bons Hospital and it'll only take roughly 8/10 mins to walk there.

The downside to joining the Mardyke is time of use, early morning or late at night are the only suitable times to go there, sometimes it can be quiet during lunch but from about 4/5pm until 9/9:30pm the mardyke is manic busy!

The pool could do with improving but if the current referendum in the UCC elections is passed, students will be paying €75 extra in capitation fees next year and this will be spent developing the mardykes facilities.

Overall the Mardyke is by and far the better choice.

PaulieC wrote: »
    The pool could do with improving but if the current referendum in the UCC elections is passed, students will be paying €75 extra in capitation fees next year and this will be spent developing the mardykes facilities.

I can't see that mattereing unless there is a shift in policy from the management. Their focus appears to be 1. get as many kids in for swimming lessons and 2. get as many OAP's in for the energise your life. Neither group know how to behave themselves in gyms and I spend my time tripping over people. I realise that sounds harsh but if you say compare the pool in Mardyke to that in Silversprings where proper swim discipline is enforced, it is a much better place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

PaulieC wrote: »
    if the current referendum in the UCC elections is passed,

it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

Thanks so much to everyone. Looks like it will be The Mardyke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

Sorry deranged. You mentioned Jurys Gym. Wondering how this compares in price and facilities with Mardyke. I'm sure it's probably smaller but that wouldn't bother me.

Advertisement