Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if i go to doctor

Options
  • 23-04-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think I may be depressed. I'v been feeling sad and don't want to do anything like college or work. I'v been like this for years and struggle to get intrested or passionate about anything, everything is an effort.

I was wondering if I went to the doctor and I was diagnosed with depression would that go down on some kind of record? as in effect me in the future ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Well it will go on the GPs record, which is private.

When it comes to jobs: sometimes they ask you to sign a form allowing them to contact your GP. I asked my GP and he has a policy of refusing all those requests so I was happy enough and it has never been an issue over the last 14 or so years in any job. Speak to your GP and tell them your concerns on this, no doubt others have expressed the same concern numerous times before!

An empoloyer can ask for the details, but they do not have to be disclosed. You could go to a different GP about this and refer an employer to your 'usual' one who won't have this on their record. There's no central database that someone can just look up and find out all about you.

Let me put it this way: not going to the GP could have FAR worse rammifications. Go!

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If you go to a doctor then he or she has a duty to maintain patients' records in confidence, with the exception of some fairly extreme circumstances. So it's not like a future employer or similar can call up and get a medical history on you, if this is what you are asking.

I'd imagine that leaving your depression untreated would have a far, far greater effect on you than any worries you have right now about people finding out. Making the decision that you have to seek help is a good one - I hope that you follow through on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Matthew 5.11

go and have a chat with your doctor,your health is more important than worrying about future employers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I wouldn't worry about it going on record. Depression is very common. If you are looking for life insurance or mortgage protection in the future you will need to make them aware of the condition but its not a reason to avoid seeing the doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Time Now Please

Honestly, all information is 100% confidential between your GP and you, nobody and I mean nobody can access those files without your permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Your GP will no more care about anything apart from making you happy again. Honestly.

Think about it. I know a lot of people say 'oh doctors just want money'. ~Ahem no. Doctors actually want to make people better.

Go in - have a chat - they'll ask you a few questions.

They can't treat you for feeling pissed off, if you go in and tell them you've a pain in your hole!

They're experts though at knowing what questions you're comfortable with and which ones you're not. They will never make you uncomfortable.

I was given good advice though. Don't expect a doctor to treat you for what is wrong with you if you lie to them. xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

<content removed by mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Doublelime wrote: »
    <content removed by mod>

Op - I would ignore this post.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Doublelime - this is the second post in the space of ten minutes that I have had to instruct you to read the forum charter. Honestly I can think of no other reason for you to post something like that other than you are trolling these forums, and we have zero tolerance for that kind of muppetry.

Red card issued, and the next post from you that finds you on our radar again will result in an instant ban.

Regards,
    Mike

Advertisement