Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proven Bulls

• 23-04-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Ideally I want to use bulls that are both daughter proven (most importantly) & Genomic testes bulls. I notice from the HerdPlus bull search that how a bull is proven is not stated. How can I search/filter for daughter proven bulls?

eg O-Man
    http://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/229599768
    Note: Genotyped

What does this "Genotyped" mean in lay man terms?

eg HMY
    http://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/393048350
    Note: The genetic evaluation data for this animal includes a Genomic component.

Any other tips for searching for bulls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

dungfly wrote: »
    .... I notice from the HerdPlus bull search that how a bull is proven is not stated...
    "Proven" is defined by ICBF as follows;

A bull can only realistically be called proven on any trait once he goes above 90% reliability on that trait
    http://www.icbf.com/?p=1332

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

genptyped means that ICBF have a genetic sample of the bull and is in the system.

a bull might have first crop daughters milking but A) not enough of them to rely on it completly for the proof or B) the fertility proof is still genomic because not enough cow have calved a second time to have a reliable fertility proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If your using genomic sires use a minimum of 5 as a team, this is supposd to counter the lack of reliabilty, and perhaps pick two or three proven bulls to improve specific traits on certain cows with which you need a better chance of sucess

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

How do you search via proven bulls vrs genomic bulls on HerdPlus?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

"Proven" is defined by ICBF as follows;

A bull can only realistically be called proven on any trait once he goes above 90% reliability on that trait
    http://www.icbf.com/?p=1332

Does this mean that if a bull has an overall EBI of 240 with a reliability of 95%, then he is daughter proven? How do I know if there is a genomic weighing to the reliability and its impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

But if you use only daughter proven sires then you are missing out on the best new bulls.

Use proven easy calving on your heifers & use the best new bulls on your cows, otherwise it'll take you longer to get where you want to be, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

dungfly wrote: »
    How do you search via proven bulls vrs genomic bulls on HerdPlus?
    You see 'Proof Source' after you run the Trait Selector? click on that to arrange them either GS(genomic) or DP-Int/DP-Ire(daughter proof international or Irish). Play around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

what bulls are lads using/thinking of using in their autumn calvers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

farmer lad wrote: »
    what bulls are lads using/thinking of using in their autumn calvers?

Got a bull bred by a fellow boardsie here today

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

stanflt wrote: »

What kind of breeding behind him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Ahh fair play to charliebull:D

probably the easiest way to check if they have a daughter proof is to click on "milk" (just under where is says genotyped) and that will tell you haw many milk recorded daughters he has.

To me though proven bulls arepast their prime at this stage. I dont get why lads are still afraid of genomics at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭limo_100

probably the easiest way to check if they have a daughter proof is to click on "milk" (just under where is says genotyped) and that will tell you haw many milk recorded daughters he has.

To me though proven bulls arepast their prime at this stage. I dont get why lads are still afraid of genomics at this stage

HOW IS GkA bogman i have a second calver calving to him at the end of the month??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Using
    Yad
    PHC
    PCZ
    IGG
    NPY

limo_100 wrote: »
    HOW IS GkA bogman i have a second calver calving to him at the end of the month??

He's grand. how's yerself?biggrin.png

First few calves seem to be nice. Nice toplines on them.

Using
    Yad
    PHC
    PCZ
    IGG
    NPY

What happened to the lic straws you were going to order!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

6 cows signed up with pg this am to test their bull calves if they have them.in calf to ksk,jfk abo and hzb.fingers crossed one of them makes the cut ,although I'd happily take heifer calves

What happened to the lic straws you were going to order!!!

Next yr going to re do ai course and see ifI can get a tank

mahoney_j wrote: »
    6 cows signed up with pg this am to test their bull calves if they have them.in calf to ksk,jfk abo and hzb.fingers crossed one of them makes the cut ,although I'd happily take heifer calves

Fair play could get a nice wallet full if they make the cut

Fair play could get a nice wallet full if they make the cut

13 tested last spring none made the cut including one 358 ebi bull and 3 others over 300.real long shot to get a bull into an Ai station

• Advertisement

I thought that you'd have more or is the milk sub index too low

Had 2 pages dropped in yesterday for signature but not expecting anything

I thought that you'd have more or is the milk sub index too low

Had 2 pages dropped in yesterday for signature but not expecting anything

Yep milk sub index too low,when picking Bulls this year I did it on a cow by cow basis rather than just using sure advice.average milk kg of bulls used was +168 kg and 32 kg solids so am expecting much better things from this years calves.average milk kg for herd has dropped from 138 2 years ago to 124.i need to get this somewhere between 150 and 180 kg as well as maintaining solids and fertility.some interesting Bulls in new pg catalagoue,like the look of hzb,yad,PCz,zfg,gxc

Yep milk sub index too low,when picking Bulls this year I did it on a cow by cow basis rather than just using sure advice.average milk kg of bulls used was +168 kg and 32 kg solids so am expecting much better things from this years calves.average milk kg for herd has dropped from 138 2 years ago to 124.i need to get this somewhere between 150 and 180 kg as well as maintaining solids and fertility.some interesting Bulls in new pg catalagoue,like the look of hzb,yad,PCz,zfg,gxc
    Im choosing purly on solids and high fert. Get my fert right and 6 wk cakving and ill be on thr pigs back

Im choosing purly on solids and high fert. Get my fert right and 6 wk cakving and ill be on thr pigs back

That's the beauty of ebi ,Bulls there for everyone.dont ignore milk though gg,your fertility is fairly good as it is I reckon ,your problems I reckon are more mineral related and your winter diet probably needs improvement.you should still I reckon be aiming for Bulls that are + 100 kg for milk as well as fertility and solids.theres loads of them there.hol and x bred

That's the beauty of ebi ,Bulls there for everyone.dont ignore milk though gg,your fertility is fairly good as it is I reckon ,your problems I reckon are more mineral related and your winter diet probably needs improvement.you should still I reckon be aiming for Bulls that are + 100 kg for milk as well as fertility and solids.theres loads of them there.hol and x bred
    Loads of milk in the herd now heading more for 6000l av compared to the 5500l we were. 520kgs sold per cow last yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭limo_100

He's grand. how's yerself?biggrin.png

First few calves seem to be nice. Nice toplines on them.

O thats nice hopefully he'll come and visit his offspring. Whats he like for calving, hes the best looking bull in the book anyway. Would the calves be more like cf85 or lgl

Advertisement