Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engelberg in March

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Yeah the season here runs from November to May they close up when they get to about 50km of piste. Conditions have been the worst in 25 years here and yet well the pics say enough I guess :)

This is what I do for a living I am heavily involved in the ski industry so it's like going to work except fun and in the mountains and skiing. I wake up every morning with a smile and count my lucky stars.

Will be heading back home next week for a few months to re group, hit the gym and try and replace some of the muscle mass lost over a season and get working on promotions and testing for next years kit & equipment

Pretty cool video of some ski friends of mine shot here last week it's part of a promo for their business but no advertising or details in it so hope it is ok here

http://vimeo.com/92564514

And this belter from the warm patch in March!

http://vimeo.com/92346542

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Fattes wrote: »
    Conditions have been the worst in 25 years here and yet well the pics say enough I guess

This kind of thing worries me, vis a vis global warming

Can I ask how long the powder holds up at this time of year Fattes, I've generally found (over Paddy's day) that it gets very heavy very quick, so even if it dumps you either get one day of it or have to go super high and shaded to make it worth while

a148pro wrote: »
    Can I ask how long the powder holds up at this time of year Fattes, I've generally found (over Paddy's day) that it gets very heavy very quick, so even if it dumps you either get one day of it or have to go super high and shaded to make it worth while

It depends the dump we had at the end of March around the 20th lasted for at least 6-7 days as the weather stayed colder right down to 1,000M , the dump we got last week lasted 2 days as the temps went up, last season was one of the best on record here with waist deep pow into April and early May! Here is the thing about here though, its All North facing, and goes form 1,000 meters to 3,010 meters so bad conditions are rare. On piste is still incredible here down to about 1,800 meters.

On the other side Northern Italy had its bets snow season in history this year too, some places had to close they had so much snow! Although I loved Bode Millers take on it, "In my ski career I have never seen a season so effected by weather as this Global warming is here and affecting us"

• Advertisement

And so the season officially ends!

That said it is actually snowing up top today, lifts are open for another month but the temps and wet snow this week have not been kind

http://youtu.be/jyC4gyh5Crc

Cold so very cold! Two of the local kids did it on ski jump skis!! And one of them got all the way to the final!

Advertisement