Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd level choices. NEED HELP!!

Options
  • 20-04-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a current leaving cert student and am stuck for what I can do it college. I have a massive interest in Biology and want to one day get a PhD in it, only problem is i wont be getting the points for the majority of courses (I will probably get around 420). When I found out that NUIM have a biology course I was ecstatic, only to shortly realise you need irish, and there is my downfall, i do Foundation Irish, yes I am that bad at it, and so my options are limited, I want to go on to do the Evolutionary Biology masters in UCD but as I said, I'm extremely limited in terms of courses I can do that will allow me to do that masters... And so beautiful people of Boards i come to you to seek your advice, recommendations and suggestions as to what I should do to achieve my ambition of doing the masters in Evolutionary Biology and getting a PhD in Biology.

Also I should note; i amn't dyslexic and nor was I born outside of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Surely the obvious solution is have a crack at ordinary level Irish? What have you got to lose?

I mean, seriously, you think Leaving Cert Irish is too tough, but you want to go on and do a PhD?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

^^^ That

Or a plc or something along those lines with access to some biology course. Although if you were to do a plc, undergrad, masters and phd you could be in education for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

djpbarry wrote: »
    Surely the obvious solution is have a crack at ordinary level Irish? What have you got to lose?

I mean, seriously, you think Leaving Cert Irish is too tough, but you want to go on and do a PhD?!?

I've already done my Oral for foundation level, so backtracking isnt an option, I have considered something along those lines though in repeating the leaving just for the Irish.

I've also looked into maybe a level 7 course to hopefully work up that way, but I'm not getting to far in terms of possibilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Tables wrote: »
    I've already done my Oral for foundation level, so backtracking isnt an option, I have considered something along those lines though in repeating the leaving just for the Irish.

I've also looked into maybe a level 7 course to hopefully work up that way, but I'm not getting to far in terms of possibilities...

maybe taking a year out, and doing a level 5 plc course in your area, or getting a part time job would suit you best, while doing OL Irish. you'd get the course you want, you'll be looking forward to college even more, and you could save up a bit of money and not be a broke student for all of 1st year

It looks like that's your best option - as far as I'm aware, passing the core LC is the minimal requirement for pretty much all third-level courses in Ireland.

At the end of the day, one year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. See if you can get yourself a job some way related to science for the year, or even just a few months - it would look great on your CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Have you applied for any courses on the UCAS?

A degree in the UK won't require Irish - it'll probably require a language though.

djpbarry wrote: »
    It looks like that's your best option - as far as I'm aware, passing the core LC is the minimal requirement for pretty much all third-level courses in Ireland.

At the end of the day, one year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. See if you can get yourself a job some way related to science for the year, or even just a few months - it would look great on your CV.

To be honest im thinking the exact same thing, is there anyway I could do Biology through an arts degree maybe?

Have you applied for any courses on the UCAS?

A degree in the UK won't require Irish - it'll probably require a language though.

Yeah I was set to go to St Marys Twickenham to do Sports Rehabilitation and try to become a physio but my interests have waned significantly.

To be honest im thinking the exact same thing, is there anyway I could do Biology through an arts degree maybe?
    Why would you do an arts degree if you want to get into science?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

Surely the requirement was Irish or English. My son got 415 points with an A in Honours Biology and skimmed a pass in Foundation Irish - NO WAY could he do it. He loves Biology and is also good at engineering and he is doing engineering. He did consider bioscience at LYIT. Know this thread is old but out of curiosity what is happening with you?

• Advertisement

Surely the requirement was Irish or English. My son got 415 points with an A in Honours Biology and skimmed a pass in Foundation Irish - NO WAY could he do it. He loves Biology and is also good at engineering and he is doing engineering. He did consider bioscience at LYIT. Know this thread is old but out of curiosity what is happening with you?

I'm repeating in the end, I got what I thought I would, was offered Industrial Biochemistry in University of Limerick and decided to repeat. I'm doing oridinary Irish and I'm looking to get Science in either UCD, Trinity or DCU. In order of preference. (Sorry this is so ridiculously late!)

I'm repeating in the end, I got what I thought I would, was offered Industrial Biochemistry in University of Limerick and decided to repeat. I'm doing oridinary Irish and I'm looking to get Science in either UCD, Trinity or DCU. In order of preference. (Sorry this is so ridiculously late!)

How's the Irish going? Really feel for those who are obviously bright but believe that some people just cannot do Irish. (Youngest son starting secondary in Sept and absolutely dreading the Irish and doesn't want to attempt Spanish because if it. Did you do a third language by the way and how did it compare with your ability in Irish?

How's the Irish going? Really feel for those who are obviously bright but believe that some people just cannot do Irish. (Youngest son starting secondary in Sept and absolutely dreading the Irish and doesn't want to attempt Spanish because if it. Did you do a third language by the way and how did it compare with your ability in Irish?

Advertisement