Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I be stopped from seeing my Son?

Options
  • 17-03-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello,

Sadly my ex girlfriend & I broke up while she was pregnant with our son. A month ago out of the blue she stopped me from seeing him. She has threatened me with the Gardai and told me if I go near her house she will call them.

We are due to go to court soon to finalise some details but I am wondering if there are ways she can stop me seeing him? I am petrified thinking about it and miss him so much. He really is what I am living for right now and given he is only a few months old I feel like I am missing out on so much. It's heartbreaking really, just wondering if anyone can shed light on things.

Moderators, apologies if anything above is out of order or if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks,

P.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Pay your maintenance dont be a junkie and dont be violent or threatening. Keep a cool head you will get access.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need legal advice here, if you are named on the birth cert as the father it makes a difference.

Have you guardianship?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pilph

jane82 wrote: »
    Pay your maintenance dont be a junkie and dont be violent or threatening. Keep a cool head you will get access.

Thanks Jane.

No problem with any of the above, maintenance in order and I have asked very politely if I can see him. The violence in the relationship was on the other side, I was on the receiving end of it a few times.

Cool head is good advice, all I want to do is see him. I don't want any nastiness or anything he will be number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pilph

Stheno wrote: »
    You need legal advice here, if you are named on the birth cert as the father it makes a difference.

Have you guardianship?

She has told my solicitor that guardianship will not be a problem and as far as I know my name was on the registration documentation. I signed it but was not present when it was submitted.

There are things I could mention in court but I am scared to death of my ex. I've never seen anyone to go to such lengths to get revenge on people once she feels she has been crossed. I don't know what I could be accused of. I'm just petrified that she will lie and the judge will stop me seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kieron Wood

Download the guardianship form here and both parents sign it.

http://irishbarrister.com/guardian.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭HotHHead

Stheno wrote: »

Have you guardianship?
    Name on the birth cert is irrelevant, makes no differece.

Access is not dependat on mainteance been paid as they are treated as two seperate issues but any decent father will have this well in order before court. NEVER pay cash, always banks transfer, something that has a paper trail. No father should need a court order to tell him he has to pay maintenance.

If she is violent etc as you said, record her on your phone, even if its just recording sound, tell her your recording her once she starts etc.

The majority of fathers are awarded guardianship unless your a junkie, murderer etc! some judges will send you away and tell you to come back in three months to see if you will take up regular access, pay your maintenance before they award it to you.

She has told your solicitor she has no issue with guardianship but yet she has stoppd access for no reason, you obviously can't trust this woman so thread carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

HotHHead wrote: »
    Name on the birth cert is irrelevant, makes no differece.

Access is not dependat on mainteance been paid as they are treated as two seperate issues but any decent father will have this well in order before court. NEVER pay cash, always banks transfer, something that has a paper trail. No father should need a court order to tell him he has to pay maintenance.

If she is violent etc as you said, record her on your phone, even if its just recording sound, tell her your recording her once she starts etc.

The majority of fathers are awarded guardianship unless your a junkie, murderer etc! some judges will send you away and tell you to come back in three months to see if you will take up regular access, pay your maintenance before they award it to you.

She has told your solicitor she has no issue with guardianship but yet she has stoppd access for no reason, you obviously can't trust this woman so thread carefully

How is a recording on the phone going to prove she is violent?

ALso it is illegal to record someone without their consent, so unless she explicitely states on the recording, yes you have my consent and states her name etc,.

If she is violent its up to you to prove it with some kind of paper trail. Have you reported it to the police? Gone to counselling? What kind of violence are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

This makes my blood boil why should the woman always call the shots..You keep doing what your doing and you will be fine. But dont lose the head it will play right into her hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i was in the exact same situation. Ill pm you now op

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

mr170 - posting the same thing repeatedly and generalising is against our charter, please don't do it again, I have removed all of your repeat posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭HotHHead

If you read what I posted, you'd see I told the op to tell her he was recording her once she starts, it can then be used.
    Paper trail is nothing if she constantly comes back and says it happened the other way around.. or its his word against hers.. records her, even if shes verbally abusing you.
    Also maybe consider a protection/safety order..

Advertisement