Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Maths

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I failed the pre's in Ordinary Level by 20%. I am terrible at maths but I'm surely not the only one this bad at maths? is there anything I can do to bring my mark up to a pass by the time the exams comer round? there's no one really doing grinds near my area and no matter how much I try to do questions with the book for help it just doesn't click for me! :( seriously panicking now, I need to pass Maths to do a PLC next year, I don't want to repeat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Can you get into your course with foundation maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Kyro wrote: »
    Can you get into your course with foundation maths?

No I don't think so, it says five passes in Ordinary level and it says that should include Maths, I'll probably have to email them and see if there's exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

I failed too. :( bought the new book less stress more success project maths ordinary level paper 1 for 9.99, I think it is good so far since it is precise and focused on how to tackle exam style questions! so maybe give it a shot? you can look at sample pages on moresuccess.ie before buying!

3raser10 wrote: »
    I failed too. :( bought the new book less stress more success project maths ordinary level paper 1 for 9.99, I think it is good so far since it is precise and focused on how to tackle exam style questions! so maybe give it a shot? you can look at sample pages on moresuccess.ie before buying!

Does it give detailed notes on some of the questions? I find it a lot easier to understand when its written in English, wish I was naturally good at maths! :( thanks I'll look it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

for every step in a new question there is an explanation in brackets beside it (in words) :) What I think is really cool is that there are some challenging questions given & explained how to do them which is helpful for exam! While I was preparing for mocks I could do questions in my textbook on topics such as pattern & sequences but in my mock I think I failed that question :/ so if we are not preparing exam style questions then we are just fooling ourselves IMO! for the rest of the days left, I'm gonna check if I can do questions in that book, then do exam paper questions & then if I have some time left I'll do questions in my textbook! Best of luck :) oh & more thing might sound a bit cheesy but try to change your attitude towards maths & believe in yourself, I've just realized it makes a difference :D

• Advertisement

3raser10 wrote: »
    for every step in a new question there is an explanation in brackets beside it (in words) :) What I think is really cool is that ther;0e are some challenging questions given & explained how to do them which is helpful for exam! While I was preparing for mocks I could do questions in my textbook on topics such as pattern & sequences but in my mock I think I failed that question :/ so if we are not preparing exam style questions then we are just fooling ourselves IMO! for the rest of the days left, I'm gonna check if I can do questions in that book, then do exam paper questions & then if I have some time left I'll do questions in my textbook! Best of luck :) oh & more thing might sound a bit cheesy but try to change your attitude towards maths & believe in yourself, I've just realized it makes a difference :D

I'll definitely get that book! :) I' 'm really stuck in school on the questions about getting the height of something from the length of its shadow using degrees and that sorta thing, feel like an idiot when everyone around me is passing. :o It's just maths that's giving me problems really, I've everything else sorted more or less just learning things off now :) thanks you too! let's just look forward to finishing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

You might need a tutor, it could help... I'm so bad at math, I failed it in the Leaving Cert (O.L), I went on to do accounting in college though - you can still do a course you like if you stay positive.

Don't get too stressed about it - The LC isn't there to close doors on you.

If you maybe get someone to tutor you or go through a few things with you and keep practising your sample questions you will feel more confident.

You can bring your grade up with some focus and determination. Don't let it take over though, stay in control of it, take a deep breath and take each question one by one.

Best of Luck.

Sadderday wrote: »
    You might need a tutor, it could help... I'm so bad at math, I failed it in the Leaving Cert (O.L), I went on to do accounting in college though - you can still do a course you like if you stay positive.

Don't get too stressed about it - The LC isn't there to close doors on you.

If you maybe get someone to tutor you or go through a few things with you and keep practising your sample questions you will feel more confident.

You can bring your grade up with some focus and determination. Don't let it take over though, stay in control of it, take a deep breath and take each question one by one.

Best of Luck.

Did you do a PLC to get there? was it tough? I am curious as to how you handled it - just in case it happens to me. :o I've been searching for someone to show me the maths other than my teacher, think I need a fresh voice to really drive it home for me. thanks I'm really nervous about it, don't wanna disappoint anyone :o

Saxo wrote: »
    Did you do a PLC to get there? was it tough? I am curious as to how you handled it - just in case it happens to me. :o I've been searching for someone to show me the maths other than my teacher, think I need a fresh voice to really drive it home for me. thanks I'm really nervous about it, don't wanna disappoint anyone :o

Hi again, No I didn't do a PLC. I got a job in a shoe shop and went to college at night. I ended up in DIT. It cost two grand to do it, so basically if you can pass maths in the leaving cert it would probably make life a bit easier for you but don't stress about it, it is still possible and it will work out for you in the end. You seem determined and level headed so I'm sure you will be fine. Don't worry about dissappointing anyone else. It's your future and if things don't go your way in the leaving cert there are plenty of other options out there. Its not the be all and end all. My two brothers didnt do their leaving certs and both own successful businesses.

I just want you to know that while the maths exam is important now and it would be great for you to get your confidence up and pass it.... don't stress about not passing. Life has a funny way of working out, stay positive and relax. Maths is one of those things that you need to 'get'.

you could look at samples all day and still be unsure... but once it clicks and you get it, your golden. One question at a time.

Put ads up looking for a tutor on the net or near your home. I know they can be pricey but to be honest - worth it. I wish now that I had tried harder to pass... would have saved me a right few bob in college fees!

someone in your class thats good at maths might meet you to go over some things?

The main thing is not to get too worried. This is an exam you take when your 16/17/18 - you have to remember that this doesn't have to determine how your life turns out. Scary I know but trust me, you will be ok.

Hi again, No I didn't do a PLC. I got a job in a shoe shop and went to college at night. I ended up in DIT. It cost two grand to do it, so basically if you can pass maths in the leaving cert it would probably make life a bit easier for you but don't stress about it, it is still possible and it will work out for you in the end. You seem determined and level headed so I'm sure you will be fine. Don't worry about dissappointing anyone else. It's your future and if things don't go your way in the leaving cert there are plenty of other options out there. Its not the be all and end all. My two brothers didnt do their leaving certs and both own successful businesses.

I just want you to know that while the maths exam is important now and it would be great for you to get your confidence up and pass it.... don't stress about not passing. Life has a funny way of working out, stay positive and relax. Maths is one of those things that you need to 'get'.

you could look at samples all day and still be unsure... but once it clicks and you get it, your golden. One question at a time.

Put ads up looking for a tutor on the net or near your home. I know they can be pricey but to be honest - worth it. I wish now that I had tried harder to pass... would have saved me a right few bob in college fees!

someone in your class thats good at maths might meet you to go over some things?

The main thing is not to get too worried. This is an exam you take when your 16/17/18 - you have to remember that this doesn't have to determine how your life turns out. Scary I know but trust me, you will be ok.

Thanks so much for your reply! You've really reassured me! :) I keep thinking that if these exams don't go right for me that I'll never be able to do anything, I know that's not the case but it still creeps into my mind often. I was thinking about going to Tutorial on Saturdays for Maths grinds, its cheap and I can get the train in :) thanks again!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your reply! You've really reassured me! :) I keep thinking that if these exams don't go right for me that I'll never be able to do anything, I know that's not the case but it still creeps into my mind often. I was thinking about going to Tutorial on Saturdays for Maths grinds, its cheap and I can get the train in :) thanks again!

Yeah do go to a couple of those grinds if you can. I know its the last thing you want to do on a nice day but theres not long left and you will be able to enjoy your summer!

Stick the head down and see what happens, you will either pass or you won't just like everyone else that day.... everyone will be nervous.
    now your getting prepared you should feel more confident when the time comes and hopefully it will go well for you.

Try not spend the summer thinking about the results - when it's done it's done you forget about it because there is no more that you can do except wait and see.

I only did the L.C in 2007 and I know it can feel like a lot of pressure.

Like I said, I didn't pass maths and I therefore didnt get in anywhere on the CAO (except the expensive private colleges that I never could afford)
    so I got a job, used my wages to pay for night classes and got a proper job in the end but it wasn't easy. You could avoid this by applying a bit of focus now and giving it your best shot.

There is life after the leaving regardless of your results you will have to work hard to get what you want out of life.
    Whatever happens - happens and what's meant to be will be... but you have the control right now so you can make this situation what you want it to be with a bit of hard work and practice.

I 'wing'ed it to be honest and I wish I was as focused then as you are now.

Do let us know how you get on, best of luck!

Yeah do go to a couple of those grinds if you can. I know its the last thing you want to do on a nice day but theres not long left and you will be able to enjoy your summer!

Stick the head down and see what happens, you will either pass or you won't just like everyone else that day.... everyone will be nervous.
    now your getting prepared you should feel more confident when the time comes and hopefully it will go well for you.

Try not spend the summer thinking about the results - when it's done it's done you forget about it because there is no more that you can do except wait and see.

I only did the L.C in 2007 and I know it can feel like a lot of pressure.

Like I said, I didn't pass maths and I therefore didnt get in anywhere on the CAO (except the expensive private colleges that I never could afford)
    so I got a job, used my wages to pay for night classes and got a proper job in the end but it wasn't easy. You could avoid this by applying a bit of focus now and giving it your best shot.

There is life after the leaving regardless of your results you will have to work hard to get what you want out of life.
    Whatever happens - happens and what's meant to be will be... but you have the control right now so you can make this situation what you want it to be with a bit of hard work and practice.

I 'wing'ed it to be honest and I wish I was as focused then as you are now.

Do let us know how you get on, best of luck!

Currently planning to do an all nighter tonight to get this stupid Construction Studies portfolio finished and out of the way, they're suppose to be handed in next week but I'd rather that time be for study. :) I'll be honest I have winged the majority of the year! It's only when I got my pre results that I started formulating plans for study :o hopefully I haven't left it late enough that it wont make a difference!

Currently planning to do an all nighter tonight to get this stupid Construction Studies portfolio finished and out of the way, they're suppose to be handed in next week but I'd rather that time be for study. :) I'll be honest I have winged the majority of the year! It's only when I got my pre results that I started formulating plans for study :o hopefully I haven't left it late enough that it wont make a difference!

Nah, you can only do your best ! Them mock results do tend to kick everybody up the a'ss a bit so don't worry.

I feel sorry for ya to be honest but your nearly there so keep going with it!

Hard aul time it is !

I know you want to get everything done and studied but you need to have a little rest here and there, go to the cinema with your mates or something - you don't want to burn out too soon with all the hard work.

Ya have to balance it out a bit, nothing sinks in when your feeling tired or stressed.

Nah, you can only do your best ! Them mock results do tend to kick everybody up the a'ss a bit so don't worry.

I feel sorry for ya to be honest but your nearly there so keep going with it!

Hard aul time it is !

I know you want to get everything done and studied but you need to have a little rest here and there, go to the cinema with your mates or something - you don't want to burn out too soon with all the hard work.

Ya have to balance it out a bit, nothing sinks in when your feeling tired or stressed.

Initially thought I had done a lot better tbh! was feeling confident coming outta the exams but that wasn't the case, Biology gave me a big shock I normally fly through that but it was marked ridiculously hard :/
    Just looking forward to getting May done and out of the way now and hopefully have a load of study done :) Summer holidays won't be spent dossin around either i'll be keeping on top of things and getting courses sorted for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LauraM47

I failed the pre's in Ordinary Level by 20%. I am terrible at maths but I'm surely not the only one this bad at maths? is there anything I can do to bring my mark up to a pass by the time the exams comer round? there's no one really doing grinds near my area and no matter how much I try to do questions with the book for help it just doesn't click for me! :( seriously panicking now, I need to pass Maths to do a PLC next year, I don't want to repeat.

Where us your area? I'm available for ordinary maths grinds in rathfarnham area.

LauraM47 wrote: »
    Where us your area? I'm available for ordinary maths grinds in rathfarnham area.

Hi sorry you're too far away from me, it'd be a good 2 hour drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Anyone know how to do Question 2 on the Edco Sample E Paper, it's financial maths!

Advertisement