Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL pro life society ???

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Jester252 wrote: »
    UL Life whould have been involved in the C&S ball, so there couldn't have been alienation

You asked for why the clubs were separate and asked whether this alienated some people, thats all I'm responding to mate. I'm really not looking to get into the pros/cons of what happened, I wasn't at the meeting so cant really give an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

UL Life whould have been involved in the C&S ball, so there couldn't have been alienation

Is that confirmed?

As Freyners said, you asked about alienation in clubs, you got your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

freyners wrote: »
    You asked for why the clubs were separate and asked whether this alienated some people, thats all I'm responding to mate. I'm really not looking to get into the pros/cons of what happened, I wasn't at the meeting so cant really give an opinion.
    Reiver wrote: »
    Is that confirmed?

As Freyners said, you asked about alienation in clubs, you got your answer.

Did UL Life alienated anybody? If C&S are worried about alienation than why did they alienated a group of students

Also both team are involved in leagues under Student Sport Ireland.

I well aware what they are under now, in the past however they were not. SSI is brand new after taking over from CUSAI.

Im not getting into this mate, my views on what went down are quite clear earlier in the thread, i was just responding as to why rugby was formed as two gender specific clubs

I well aware what they are under now, in the past however they were not. SSI is brand new after taking over from CUSAI.

Im not getting into this mate, my views on what went down are quite clear earlier in the thread, i was just responding as to why rugby was formed as two gender specific clubs

Should there not be a move to merge the two club than, C&S doesn't want alienation. Gender specific club are alienating to member of the opposite sex.

• Advertisement

Should there not be a move to merge the two club than, C&S doesn't want alienation. Gender specific club are alienating to member of the opposite sex.

No, for a couple of reasons.

SSI is in its first year over the rugby and before that there was CUSAI, and god knows before that(think munster colleges or the irfu colleges, cannot remember the organisation). The organisations have shifted around a lot in the past few years and until that settles down it shouldn't.

That's in addition to the organisational cluster**** trying to merge two clubs would create. In rugby's case both have separate sponsorships, budgets (which a merge would cut) and coaching.

Finally your trying to read alienation where there is none. Having a look at both constitutions they both have an open membership per the C&S common constitution. That means (unless im mistaken) that mens can join the ladies club and visa versa. They cannot play for the opposite team for numerous reasons, health and safety being the main one, but they can join if they so wish (no club is going to turn down a membership fee)

No, for a couple of reasons.

SSI is in its first year over the rugby and before that there was CUSAI, and god knows before that(think munster colleges or the irfu colleges, cannot remember the organisation). The organisations have shifted around a lot in the past few years and until that settles down it shouldn't.

That's in addition to the organisational cluster**** trying to merge two clubs would create. In rugby's case both have separate sponsorships, budgets (which a merge would cut) and coaching.

Finally your trying to read alienation where there is none. Having a look at both constitutions they both have an open membership per the C&S common constitution. That means (unless im mistaken) that mens can join the ladies club and visa versa. They cannot play for the opposite team for numerous reasons, health and safety being the main one, but they can join if they so wish (no club is going to turn down a membership fee)

UL Life is open to all student yet people claim they are alienating people, so surely a club where you might not be able to take part in their major activity is alienating people.

UL Life is open to all student yet people claim they are alienating people, so surely a club where you might not be able to take part in their major activity is alienating people.
    If there was no other avenue for them to take part in that activity then yes it would be, fortunately that's not the case. Your trying to work in something that ain't there

I haven't been making that claim btw. They should have got their trial. I think the idea to organise it like the referendum is worth exploring however as an alternative

If there was no other avenue for them to take part in that activity then yes it would be, fortunately that's not the case. Your trying to work in something that ain't there

A bit like the people claiming how UL life will be alienating people are trying to work in an excuses, or is it one rule for ye and another for them?
    I haven't been making that claim btw. They should have got their trial. I think the idea to organise it like the referendum is worth exploring however as an alternative
    Never said you did but a lot of poster here have.

Jester252 wrote:
    A bit like the people claiming how UL life will be alienating people are trying to work in an excuses, or is it one rule for ye and another for them?

I dont particularly care, all i know is it isnt there for rugby

• Advertisement

I dont particularly care, all i know is it isnt there for rugby

So I guess you where annoyed about people making baseless claims about rugby?

So I guess you where annoyed about people making baseless claims about rugby?

Not particularly, the reason I came in is its asked quite frequently why the clubs are separate so I thought I would put it on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 manuelkuhs

Some big shots discussed UL Life Soc being denied going on trial status on Newstalk:

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/12/9114/13th_April_2014_-_The_Marc_Coleman_Show_Part_2

look from 23.40 and 28.40 for 15 minutes or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrAndyCapp

manuelkuhs wrote: »
    Some big shots discussed UL Life Soc being denied going on trial status on Newstalk:

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/12/9114/13th_April_2014_-_The_Marc_Coleman_Show_Part_2

look from 23.40 and 28.40 for 15 minutes or more.

15 minutes ??

For those of you who won't listen...

2-3 minutes: UL Life Soc
    5 minutes: Chuck Feeney
    5 minutes: Shouting from all 3 participants simultaneously which makes for really hard listening.

The only reason I kept listening was the fact I'm on Co-Op and have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 manuelkuhs

MrAndyCapp wrote: »
    15 minutes ??

5 minutes: Shouting from all 3 participants simultaneously which makes for really hard listening.

The only reason I kept listening was the fact I'm on Co-Op and have nothing better to do.

It was pretty hilarious and all over the place. But you're right, UL Life Soc was only really "discussed" for 2-3 minutes, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

MrAndyCapp wrote: »
    15 minutes ??

Busy at work MrAndyCapp!!

Advertisement