Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late season in Chamonix

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Just back yesterday.

Conditions were grand. Very bright and sunny, warm, no need for a vest or gloves (though my hands are f*cked with scrapes now).

The snow in the morning was OK, very icy, due I suppose to the previous day's melt. And, in the afternoon, things got really slushy - it's very disconcerting going along a slope, 40 or 50kph, then hitting a puddle of slush and decelerating rather quickly, I nearly came a cropper a few times. Especially on tree-lined pistes where it changes from ice to slush every few hundred metres.

Slushy moguls were great fun on the board, I had great fun launching myself off them and the 'splash' of slush they'd make when landing. They're far more forgiving (on a board) than they are in normal conditions - weaving around them is much easier as you don't get thrown when you clip one.

Slushy reds and blacks were a laugh too, once you get a bit of speed up it's alomost like powder, that same floating feeling.

All in all a great few days, and a nice end to a pretty OK season. :D

Damn you summer, damn you to hell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Ah brilliant!! Delighted you enjoyed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ah brilliant!! Delighted you enjoyed :-)

Yeah, it was great thanks, Fanny. I think I still prefer the Three Valleys though.
    Last time I was in Chamonix I didn't particularly like Brevent, this time was the same. The other ski areas are a fairly long bus journey away, followed by a 10 minute gondola ride, so you're losing well over an hour a day just getting to and from the snow, and, at the end of a long day on the slopes the last thing I want is a long steamy journey in a hot bus, wearing wet gear. I think the town itself, its proximity to Geneva airport, and the night-life are its main selling points. Having said that, all of the above makes it ideal for a weekend visit.

Ah come to Soll for a weekend, it has all of that AND Fannymagee ;-) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    Ah come to Soll for a weekend, it has all of that AND Fannymagee ;-) ;-)

Maybe next year, my annual budget for 2013/2014 is long since spent! :D

cormee wrote: »
    Maybe next year, my annual budget for 2013/2014 is long since spent! :D

Ah yeah, sure the lifts are closed now anyway so no point (unless you fancy skinning!). BUT, I guarantee you come October you'll have resurrected that budget- probably twice over! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement