Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Android to internet via Access Point

• 13-09-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭

Situation:
    I have a UPC wireless router at the front of my house but the wireless signal is weak at the back of the house.

Proposed solution:
    I bought a NetGear wireless access point configured (I believe) correctly.

Attached to this access point I currently have 3 android devices, one printer & one laptop.

All 5 of the above are visible in the webpages of the access point & the router (in the front room) but only the laptop & the printer can connect to the internet. The Androids can't but they will if connected to the wireless router in the front room.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Can you access the router config page from the androids when they are connected to the access point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Can you access the router config page from the androids when they are connected to the access point?

Thanks for the reply.

No - that's the weird thing.
    When I go to the routers webpage (on a PC) I can see the android listed in the connected devices but I downloaded a ping app and the android can't ping the router so obviously can't connect to the internet.

Should probably say now that I couldn't get a dynamic IP address from the access point (Google - Android "obtaining IP address" - for an idea of the problems other have had with this) so the Androids are all connecting with a static IP address.

I downloaded an ipconfig app too and the only difference between the connections to the two wireless routers is that one has a DCHP address of 192.168.1.1 while the other says 0.0.0.0.
    IP, Subnet, DNS, etc are all the same.

EDIT - think this might be the problem http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=10315

What's your main router ip? 192.168.1.1?
    What's the access point IP?
    Do you have DHCP on the router and AP? (Should be off on AP)

PrzemoF wrote: »
    What's your main router ip? 192.168.1.1?
    What's the access point IP?
    Do you have DHCP on the router and AP? (Should be off on AP)

Main router = 192.168.1.1
    AP = 192.168.1.100 (this address is reserved on the main router)
    Both are on 255.255.255.0
    DCHP running on main router
    No DCHP running on AP.

I'm 99.99% certain my network setup is ok as I have a laptop & a printer that both connect to the internet via the AP.

Problem is only with the Android devices.

Same Android devices work fine when out & about connecting to hotspots.

That bug link I sent mentions problems connecting to APs that have a "classless static route" (:confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

this is more of a tech section question than an android one.. either way its ip settings are the issue i reckon. maybe its down to how android goes about getting ip settings.

default route and other thing should be set to 192.168.1.1 on access point also i assume?

can you check your ip on your laptop? im not sure how on android... i guess maybe theres an app for it? :D

you might need to manually configure your laptop to connect to the access point. try setting ip to 192.168.1.55
    subnet as u said,
    default route to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

this goes for the last setting also. i cant remember what they are called..

as its a laptop and you said you use it elsewhere also im guessing this isnt ideal, but considering its in the network im guessing its just how its routing traffic is the issue.. or how something is..

• Advertisement

I did think about putting this in the wireless section so if the mods want to move it there then I'm happy enough.

I put it in Android as it's only my 3 Android devices that have the problem (laptop & printer connect to internet fine through AP)

Have a look through the link I posted above (if you have time / are bothered).
    It does seem to be an Android bug so just wondering if anyone here has come across it.

i have a repeater also in my home setup and connect my galaxy s3 to it with no issues...
    also when running ubuntu (both based off linux i believe, though cud be totally wrong) theres no issues either so im kinda confused...
    im still guessing its the ip settings of the android devices

from your link above the answer is in the second post and this link..
    http://rudd-o.com/en/archives/wifi-dhcp-network-not-working-with-your-android-phone

kenyard wrote: »
    im still guessing its the ip settings of the android devices

Not sure what to do then.
    I can't use DHCP to connect to the AP as I get stuck in an "Obtaining IP Address" loop but have tried all the suggestions I can find & can't get the Android to use a dynamic IP address.

So I set it to manually
    IP address=192.168.1.130 (reserved on router to avoid clashes)
    Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (main router)
    Network prefix length = 24 (equates to 255.255.255.0 which is the subnet for other working devices)
    DNS1 =89.101.160.5
    DNS2 = 89.101.160.4 (both UPC)

When I connect to the AP then this IP address displays on the routers config page (as well as the AP's) yet the Android can't ping 192.168.1.1 (& therefore can't connect to the internet).

if these are the settings you are using on your laptop, your domain name server isnt the upc one, but rather the routes you connect to which is the routers ip i.e 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100
    (probably the 1.100 one since thats what is routing your laptops traffic.

default gateway might also have to be set to 1.100... i dunno.. these are usually settings i tinker with until it works :P

seems its the static route issue anyway you mentioned is causing it...
    i dont have a reserved ip for my setup at home, i just have an ip set on the range extender which i know wont conflict with other devices (192.168.1.222)

kenyard wrote: »
    if these are the settings you are using on your laptop, your domain name server isnt the upc one, but rather the routes you connect to which is the routers ip i.e 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100
    (probably the 1.100 one since thats what is routing your laptops traffic.

default gateway might also have to be set to 1.100... i dunno.. these are usually settings i tinker with until it works :P

seems its the static route issue anyway you mentioned is causing it...
    i dont have a reserved ip for my setup at home, i just have an ip set on the range extender which i know wont conflict with other devices (192.168.1.222)

the laptop uses a static IP address and connect fine

I only have a problem with the Androids

I think I tried the 192.168 combinations for the DNS settings already but will give them a go again over the weekend.

• Advertisement

if you are using static on the others already then u know what you are doing and its just down to android. your link above and the second post in that provide an answer it seems anyway which seems you need an app to fix it which alters settings or something. goodluck :)

besides that update android if possible :D

OP, does static IP work for the androids?

I had a problem with an LG phone (other laptops & samsung s2 were OK) and I found out that I have n mode set on router and the LG phone supports only g mode.

You can also try "Network Discovery" app.

http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=network&fdid=info.lamatricexiste.network&fdpage=1

Thanks for the reply.

No static not working either.
    Will display as 'Connected' on the router but can't get to internet.

I've flashed one of them to Jelly Bean this morning to see if that fixes it.
    If it doesn't then I'll try the app you suggested.
    If that doesn't work then I'm off to the 'Wireless' forum to ask how to disable that classless routing I've been reading about.

Advertisement