Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I breaking any law ? advice please

• 29-01-2005 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I am in the UK (england) and have an Irish sky sub, organised via family so sky have an address which is based in Ireland, I pay with my credit card each month.
    I have seen various sites advertising sky cards stating that it is not illegal to use the card in another country (eg Spain) and mentioned something about EU law. I suppose its similar to using FTV card in Ireland. Anyway my question is can anybody clarify this or better still have a link to the relevent web page that backs this up, or is it a grey area ???

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It may not be against the law, but it is breaking the terms and conditions of your $ky contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And when Rupert turns up the party is gona begin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Who cares?

You paid for it! Why should it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

Say goodbye to your wife and kids . Give your self up man it's not worth it . Come out with your hands up . Move slowly or we will shoot !

<The Sky police>
    confidential no. 08702404040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Show me someone who claims never to break the law and I'll show you a deluded liar :D

• Advertisement

Its a grey area.
    Yes you are breaking your terms and conditions and you do that at your own risk.
    You are not breaking the law though in my view as you are not stealing the product you are paying for it-you are just not making either sky or the rights owners aware that you are not paying the correct rate.
    Breaking Skys terms and conditions is not in itself an illegal act.
    All they can do if they find out is enforce the terms and conditions and switch off the card.

They can of course sue you for damages(as rights owners may request extra monies from them for the service you are getting but not supposed to be getting) but thats an entirely different matter and at their discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Think of all the people breaking the law over here by having a uk card.

some are honest, others not so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

have to agree it's a grey area and none of us have pockets deep enough to take it to court and even if ya won on the EU rights, they would only change the Terms in the morning. SKY are monopolistic.

As for breaking the law, 98% of Irish Drivers broke the 30mph limit, most computer literate people have probably used dodgy software even if some were unaware of the illegality of casual copying / moving OEM's. So it wouldn't be the first time major sections of the population were criminalised by something a contract that may not be legal or moral or enforcable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I can't see how they could find out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It isn't breaking the law.

On the fine print, Sky's UK T&C only apply in the UK.

The only "broken" thing is Sky's agreement to not (knowingly??) allow out of area viewing for those Providers (usually USA or Sport) who selll geographically.

If anyone ever had enough money to test in Court the USA contracts with Sky might not be legal :-)

Sky's contract with its suppliers is to take all *reasonable* precautions to limit viewing.

EU law says that if you pay for the viewing in EU it is up to you where in EU you view, and that if you view services without the legitmate card for those services then that is illegal.

1) A UK FTV card you pay for issue of card, which remains property of Sky/NDS. Your liability is limited to returning the card if asked. Even in UK, Sky has right to unconditionally disable the card (like when they do new ones).

2) A UK or Irish Sub card you pay for viewing of susbscription TV, The Cardch remains property of Sky/NDS. Your liability is limited to returning the card if asked. Even in original viewing area, Sky has right to unconditionally disable the card (like when they do new ones). Under EU law, where you use the card is your business. You have paid for a service legitimately.

Even a Retail or Mail Order can legally limit its sale to a Geographic area in EU, they can't pick and choose which citizens nor which EU country you take the good or service to after.

The Swiss are NOT EU, so they can sell their TV card to ONLY Swiss nationals. They do not care where you live. You can order it in Itally or Ireland, assuming you can prove you are Swiss. Odly they are said not to check..

The Dutch have a FTV like card. You need not be Dutch. But to purchase it you need a Dutch address, the proof is a Dutch Social Security number, which any resident / worker, even not Dutch would have. Once bought it works for a year and can be used anyplace in EU...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

On the piece of paper that the card is stuck to it say something along the lines 'may only be used in the UK, Isle of Man and Ireland'

Advertisement