Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colaiste Pobail Setanta

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of the above school? I suppose I'm mainly concerned with overall academic achievements / number who progress to third level, followed by sports, debating, drama and music etc.

I realise it's a very new school so all opinions and experiences whether direct or indirect welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I had the principal back when she was vice principal of CCC. An absolutely amazing woman, she was really firm but really caring. I know for a couple of years they shared facilities with CCC for woodwork and home ec, I'm not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Any insights into the above school?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The one thing I know is that demand for places is through the roof. We know of at least 3 families that applied last year and didn't get places for their children & had to go with a second & in one case a third option.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    The one thing I know is that demand for places is through the roof. We know of at least 3 families that applied last year and didn't get places for their children & had to go with a second & in one case a third option.

Yes we are aware of the huge demand and the fact that there are 3 feeder primary schools for this school and that places are offered (outside of siblings) on a lottery basis.

We have plan B and C in place but Setanta is our number one choice, so was just looking for some feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@ Mum

If the number one choice is Setanta,then go for.

The best school for my child is the one around the corner,mixing with all cultures and having his best mates with him,in the new adventure.

Understood is a new principal that seems is managing to turn around the school and teachers,therefore improving the school's image.
    There is no good school and/or bad school ...i can say that is a variation of rather parents unreal expectations and/or student's effort and willingness to work or to cheat.

I have had 3 children "touched" by Setanta experience and i can say that despite still being my children ...they are not doing bad in real world,working real jobs,interacting with real people around their level of possibilities.Nothing posh,golden circle or out of common sense.

Good luck for you and best wishes for your child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

rolion wrote: »
    and/or student's effort and willingness to work or to cheat.

Is "cheating" a feature of education in Ireland? What do you classify as cheating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    Is "cheating" a feature of education in Ireland? What do you classify as cheating?

"cheating" in education ...thats all what flashed your eyes of my text !?

i consider being the same thing like monday mornings mini chats with your work colleagues talking during work hours about lovely and dirty events over the weekend ... or spending good minutes at office desk sending emails around "Where do we go for lunch today" ... or ... finishing on the clock even if the clients problems hasn't been fully resolved as you are not paid after 5pm...or using the company car and/or mobile phone for personal advantages hoping the financial dept will not catch the calls or difference in mileage... or... coverign one other in event of senior management requests something off you...or droping back talking about a near-by promotion about your colleague(s) ... do you know where im heading with the "cheating" my typing?!

I consider that any school that does the Department Curriculum and has a decent base as in physical building and staff will be ok for any child... From that point forward,it will be visible the success or failure of the individual child based on the motivation,involvement and desire to succed of that particular individual... Seen cases in public schools and cases in private schools...most of the time depends on the individual profile and capabilities.

Regards

rolion wrote: »
    @ Mum

If the number one choice is Setanta,then go for.

The best school for my child is the one around the corner,mixing with all cultures and having his best mates with him,in the new adventure.

Understood is a new principal that seems is managing to turn around the school and teachers,therefore improving the school's image.
    There is no good school and/or bad school ...i can say that is a variation of rather parents unreal expectations and/or student's effort and willingness to work or to cheat.

I have had 3 children "touched" by Setanta experience and i can say that despite still being my children ...they are not doing bad in real world,working real jobs,interacting with real people around their level of possibilities.Nothing posh,golden circle or out of common sense.

Good luck for you and best wishes for your child.

Setanta is our closest school so on that basis is our number 1. Don't feel the need to put children on a bus when we're fortunate enough to have plenty in the area. Numbers 2 and 3 are also within walking distance so don't see the point in looking further afield. I totally agree it's important to have school friends living locally and also know the children (and indeed their families) that our teenagers will be hanging around with.

Advertisement