Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

App to restrict access to mobile data for given app - should be wifi only

• 04-07-2013 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across an Android app that will allow me to make sure that a particular network-hungry app only runs across wifi, and not across mobile data?

It's cost me €30 per month for the last couple of months, so I want to make sure it doesn't keep happening. There aren't any useful settings in the app itself.

Comments

Settings - data usage - choose app - tick "Restrict background data"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

delete the app?

I'm sure there is hundreds that do the same thing and wont cost you as much in data charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Settings - data usage - choose app - tick "Restrict background data"?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have that option in settings. I'm running Gingerbread, if that makes any difference. When I go into settings, I have 'wireless and network' and them 'mobile network settings' but I don't see anything there about 'data usage' or 'restrict background data'.

I've also check the 'manage applications' for this app, but I don't see anything there about restricting data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What is the app? If it's costing that much it's surely not worth having. You could also disable the mobile network when you don't need it.

The app is Tumblr, and it provides some really good material. It's just too greedy on bandwidth.

I don't want to disable the mobile network. I want to keep the mobile network for other apps, and stop Tumblr from being so greedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

This app might do the trick.

This app might do the trick.

Brilliant - seems to be working well now, giving me useful information on network usage, as well as blocking unwanted apps. THanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's cost me €30 per month for the last couple of months.

What the absolute f*ck?! Surely there is something happening here.... not normally experienced by the apps average user? That has to be not normal. Surely......

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What the absolute f*ck?! Surely there is something happening here.... not normally experienced by the apps average user? That has to be not normal. Surely......

I dunno, you tell me, is it really that unusual?

I'm on a 150 mb per month package, and Tumbler was running at about 50 mb per day, so I ended up with large extra data charges from O2. Am I the only one to fall for this?

I'm thinking about switching to Meteor's 1.1 GB per month for €22.

Advertisement