Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a NAS QNAP or Synology

Options
  • 25-11-2015 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys,

Need to upgrade my NAS and I've been doing some research and the QNAP TS-251 seems to be the one for me. (bit cheaper on the German amazon) The other one that seems to have decent reviews is the Synology DS215+.
    The QNAP has better specs compared to the Synology but is about 80€ cheaper. Is there something I am missing?

For reference the NAS will mainly be used to store all my files, sync with computers and some video streaming. I have a DNS 320 at the moment but it is incredibly slow (file transfers and web interface)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a Synology fan, so I'm biassed but would go for them over QNAP any day.

BTW if it's important, the DS215+ doesn't do hardware assisted transcoding, the closest in the Synology range would be the DS216play (or the older, but still available DS214play).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm a fan of Synology. One thing I really like is TimeBackup which keeps many versions, meaning can go back X days to restore a particular file.

I'm not sure if there's similar available with the QNAP, but one I was playing about with the other day didn't.

Advertisement