Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics on Motorhome industry in Ireland

Options
  • 13-04-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a college assignment on the motorhome industry in Ireland - picked it as its something I'm a bit more familiar with. I'm trying to track down statistics such as:
    Number of motorhomes in Ireland
    Number of motorhomes hired in Ireland each year
    Number of motorhomes that visit Ireland from other countries each year.

Regarding the number of motorhomes in Ireland, I've phone DOE, motor tax office and nobody can give me figures for the overall number

Do any of you guys know where I could get figures like this? They're figures I need to be able to reference

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

I think a lot of us here would like these figures.
    I got some figures from Failte Ireland in the past but not very useful.
    The number of campers / motorhomes is around 11,000.
    The number of motorhomes hired each year is ..... not enough :-)

Not much help but if you get some definite figures plese let me know.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Have you tried the CSO? I know there website has a few databases available to the public and I think I saw one around number of visitors to Ireland, with a bit of luck they might categorize by tourist type. I'd give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Chat to the ferry companies......they would probably know the number of vans they are transporting each year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try asking Dolmen insurance and Stuarts between the two you would cover 80=% of campers on the island N & S

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Check with the different clubs and associations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Below are a couple of websites which contain documents with a lot of info on motorhome users and their demographic profile. Unfortunately Ireland does not feature in the stats which show the number of motorhomes per country. This is probably because the sector is underdeveloped as a result of failure to develop the necessary infrastructure to facilitate year round use of motorhomes and the VRT impact on the cost of motorhomes here.
    Foreign tourist numbers are likely to be affected negatively, particularly those from The UK, by the cost of ferries and the lack of overnight parking facilities which are commonly found on mainland Europe.

http://www.autocaravaning.eu/p/documents.html

http://www.dgt.es/was6/portal/contenidos/documentos/seguridad_vial/estudios_informes/Motorcaravanning_in_Spain.pdf This document is in English and contains a lot of stats for all of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

When talking to people at the RSA, in the run up to testing campers a year or so ago, I was told that there are around 13k campervans in Ireland with around 11k currently taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

When talking to people at the RSA, in the run up to testing campers a year or so ago, I was told that there are around 13k campervans in Ireland with around 11k currently taxed.

Thanks a million for the suggestions guys.

I'll just put 11k in as the number in my assignment, and reference it to "Irishgoatman" at the end :D

kelbal wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the suggestions guys.

I'll just put 11k in as the number in my assignment, and reference it to "Irishgoatman" at the end :D

Thanks a bunch.
    Something else that I can be held responsible for! just what I need, another nail in my coffin.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I really thought it was more than that. Its a tiny market for businesses to serve! so few untaxed too there's three off the road in my direct viscinity I thought there would be thousands more about the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Kelbal
    A number of years ago I got a breakdown of the number of campers n Ireland County by County for the 26 counties. At that stagwe there were over 10,000 campers registered in Ireland. I have tried to obtain same again, but my contact in Shannon is on leave at the moment. I shall pm you the information when I receive same.

sunchaser wrote: »
    Kelbal
    A number of years ago I got a breakdown of the number of campers n Ireland County by County for the 26 counties. At that stagwe there were over 10,000 campers registered in Ireland. I have tried to obtain same again, but my contact in Shannon is on leave at the moment. I shall pm you the information when I receive same.

Kelbal,
    Just had a look through my old notes and saw that the figures I was given were 14k not 13k as I said earlier but only 11k taxed.

Sunchaser, be careful when you use the term "my contact". I was using that term on another subject here on motorhomes, and was asked if I thought I was some kind of big mover/shaker!:(. There are some funny people about.:D

Advertisement