Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancer Cure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I have heard claims like this before, but I do hope it works and is succesful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's just for treatment - Does that constitute as a cure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

k_mac wrote: »
    OMG. Cork has cured cancer. We'll never hear the end of this. It'll probably be linked to Roy Keane in some way.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0413/cancer.html

Why such a snide remark for a topic so serious?

Article for those that have a genuine interest:

Scientists at a Cork research centre claim they may have found a better way of treating cancer than chemotherapy, instead using bacteria commonly found in pro-biotic yoghurt.
    Their breakthrough has been hailed as being at the cutting-edge of science by an international expert in the treatment of cancer.
    The Cork Cancer Research Centre was set up ten years ago to develop treatments for secondary cancer and scientists there say they have found that bacteria commonly found in pro-biotic yoghurt can carry cancer-killing genes from the gut to grow inside cancerous tumours elsewhere in the body, where they pump out anti-cancer agents as they grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Feckin langballs!

Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

TheZohan wrote: »

Why so serious for a subject which should bring joy? Why be on AH forum if you can't have fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's just for treatment - Does that constitute as a cure?

Yop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The yoghurt companies will use this to back up their dubious claims though. Actimel science my ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Daily Mail will no doubt lead with this tomorrow and then tell you why it'll kill you on Thursday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

their all a load of mullers down there if ya ask me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

kowloon wrote: »
    The yoghurt companies will use this to back up their dubious claims though. Actimel science my ****.

It will be a field day for the yogurt companies, "A yogurt a day keeps cancer away! Uggh ya, lets flog this one until its dead!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

k_mac wrote: »
    Why so serious for a subject which should bring joy? Why be on AH forum if you can't have fun?

Don't f**k with TheZohan !!

Calm down people - it will 5 to 10 years before this hits the clinics (all going well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Is Cork cancer the same as regular cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's always good to hear about breakthroughs in cancer treatment. The same group also published info about what they claim is a vaccine for Prostate Cancer back in Feb - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0205/1224263813942.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope it's available by the time I get cancer from my smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

So what's the ultimate cancer fighting meal now? Chopped cabbage and broccoli covered with yogurt and flavored with turmeric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

cafecolour wrote: »
    So what's the ultimate cancer fighting meal now? Chopped cabbage and broccoli covered with yogurt and flavored with turmeric?
    No one has claimed pro-biotic yoghurt will cure cancer.:confused:

The article say's that it could be used to transport a cancer killing agent.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    No one has claimed pro-biotic yoghurt will cure cancer.:confused:

The article say's that it could be used to transport a cancer killing agent.

I still see a dramatic increase in the consumption of yoghurt coming our way. Id buy shares in yoplait if I knew how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Yop

You might be onto something there -

I drink Yop and I don't have cancer, maybe its a preventive cure?

Didn't cancer overtake heart disease as being the biggest killer in the world?

With heart surgery advancing very quickly recently(There are robots being developed that can perform heart surgery) and cancer getting better treatment this will make over population an even bigger threat.

It sounds ****ed up to think of it that way but it's true that people need to die.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In the first world, they aren't as much of an issue in poorer countries because people don't tend to live long enough to get them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Possible cancer breakthrough in Cork

Scientists at a Cork research centre claim they may have found a better way of treating cancer than chemotherapy, instead using bacteria commonly found in pro-biotic yoghurt.

two very important words highlighted above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

itll be like "i am legend", just based in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

With heart surgery advancing very quickly recently(There are robots being developed that can perform heart surgery) and cancer getting better treatment this will make over population an even bigger threat.

It sounds ****ed up to think of it that way but it's true that people need to die.

It's not a problem if all you're concerned about is population. People will live longer, leading to a once off increase in the Earth's population. And that's assuming that people in the developing world will have access to these treatments, which they almost certainly won't. Then you have to consider that most people who get cancer are old and therefore unable to reproduce, so an increase in the number of elderly people would have no effect on the birthrate.

sam34 wrote: »
    two very important words highlighted above!

Buzzkiller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

If it's for real it great news and if not well great to know they are doing their upmost down in Cork to help find a better treatment. Fair play to the langers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

cafecolour wrote: »

I wonder about these cancer preventative foods and diets. Maybe cancer would be a welcome change of pace after a month on a health diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

In the 1945 book 'The Water of Life', J.W. Armstrong claimed to cure cancer by getting his patients to drink only pure water and all of their own urine.
    The cancer usually disappeared inside a few weeks, he claimed.

Edit: In fact, he claims this will cure whatever ails you.

Unless he was taking the piss.

It's not a problem if all you're concerned about is population. People will live longer, leading to a once off increase in the Earth's population. And that's assuming that people in the developing world will have access to these treatments, which they almost certainly won't. Then you have to consider that most people who get cancer are old and therefore unable to reproduce, so an increase in the number of elderly people would have no effect on the birthrate.
    If the birthrate remains the same and the death rate goes down then population increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Voltwad wrote: »

Corkness is a cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Is Cork and its people not a cancer anyway!? :D

So their cure should be to let themselves float into the middle of the atlantic. That way they can be the capital of who gives a sh*t!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Too ****ing right, we are number 1, as my friend tinchy stryder would say.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the brits will try and claim it, they always do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hope it works.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

"Their breakthrough has been hailed as being at the cutting-edge of science by an international expert in the treatment of cancer."

Hailed by an "international expert", LOL. That's not how science works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

biko wrote: »
    I hope it's available by the time I get cancer from my smoking.
    Me to. Giving up is to much effort.

• Advertisement

If the birthrate remains the same and the death rate goes down then population increases.

Eh I know. But it won't lead to a sustained increase in population growth. It's a once off, like I said in the post you quoted.

edit: Also you do realise it's only a temporary decrease in the death rate right?

Eh I know. But it won't lead to a sustained increase in population growth. It's a once off, like I said in the post you quoted.

edit: Also you do realise it's only a temporary decrease in the death rate right?
    How is it a once off?

8000 people die from cancer each year so a cure for cancer would be 8000 more people alive each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

the brits will try and claim it, they always do

Then it'll be a lot cheaper in the North. Here it will only available at €20k a pop, or free to politicians, multi-millionaires and bankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

It's funny how people will look at something so extremely hopeful and positive and think "well this will cause problems" but they'll ignore the real problems, it the case of overpopulation the factors that will make overpopulation actually occur are those that are amongst us nowadays are capitalism, meat eating, deforestation, global warming (both man made and natural), incompetent preservation of natural habitats due to both failure to understand them and just plain stupidity, ...

I'm sure I could go on but this is a good thing that's happened today & I refuse to continue dragging stupidity and depression into a conversation about something potentially hopeful.

:D
    Also hope it works, I didn't know Cork had "it" :D

Voltwad wrote: »

No, it's better.

• Advertisement

How is it a once off?

8000 people die from cancer each year so a cure for cancer would be 8000 more people alive each year.

They're not going to live forever. They'll still die eventually. And as I said it won't lead to much/any increase in the birth rate. So explain to me how we can get a sustained increase in population growth rates by keeping people that can't reproduce alive for a little longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

yay!:p

i remember my granny was talking about some treatment a few years ago in europe that was really effictive,can't remember the name though..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

TheZohan wrote: »

this is brilliant news
    the best in a long time
    lives will be saved
    i say, good luck to them,
    hope this will be rolled out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

iUseVi wrote: »
    "Their breakthrough has been hailed as being at the cutting-edge of science by an international expert in the treatment of cancer."

Hailed by an "international expert", LOL. That's not how science works.

Speaking about the work published today, Noriyuki Kasahara, President of the International Society for Cell and Gene Therapy of Cancer said: “The work being done at Cork Cancer Research Centre at UCC is certainly at the cutting edge of science: no one has ever shown before that you can take an orally administered safe bacteria and have it hone into a tumour mass before and act there.”
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/mandc/news/fullstory,98559,en.html

Bam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Whilst we're on the subject of cancer, you might want to get those bloody nipples checked out...

Speaking about the work published today, Noriyuki Kasahara, President of the International Society for Cell and Gene Therapy of Cancer said: “The work being done at Cork Cancer Research Centre at UCC is certainly at the cutting edge of science: no one has ever shown before that you can take an orally administered safe bacteria and have it hone into a tumour mass before and act there.”
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/mandc/news/fullstory,98559,en.html

Bam.

Dear Bam,

Never mind.

iUseVi.

It's funny how people will look at something so extremely hopeful and positive and think "well this will cause problems" but they'll ignore the real problems, it the case of overpopulation the factors that will make overpopulation actually occur are those that are amongst us nowadays are capitalism, meat eating, deforestation, global warming (both man made and natural), incompetent preservation of natural habitats due to both failure to understand them and just plain stupidity, ...

I'm sure I could go on but this is a good thing that's happened today & I refuse to continue dragging stupidity and depression into a conversation about something potentially hopeful.

:D
    Also hope it works, I didn't know Cork had "it" :D
    So you don't think an increasing population would play a part in over population?

iUseVi wrote: »
    Dear Bam,

Never mind.

iUseVi.
    Vi sucks emacs rule.

What year is this?

They're not going to live forever. They'll still die eventually. And as I said it won't lead to much/any increase in the birth rate. So explain to me how we can get a sustained increase in population growth rates by keeping people that can't reproduce alive for a little longer?
    That's like saying an increase in birth rate won't increase the population because they will die eventually.

by keeping people that can't reproduce alive for a little longer?
    They don't need to reproduce to add to the population by simply being alive they are a +1 to the population. This is really simple and I can't believe you don't understand the concept.

Vi sucks emacs rule.

What year is this?

C-u M-! date (or close enough, meh)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement