Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for Irelands Greatest Person

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bollicks

Shell
    Exxon
    BP
    Manchester Liners
    Ellemans
    Cunard
    Hogarts

all had Irish Chiefs before The Federation shipping Corp.

But they didn't travel across the Universe beaming people up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Louis Walsh! ffs! Voted Michael Collins but half of that list shouldn't be there. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

Another pont is some of the people included in the list from Northern Ireland may not consider themselves Irish. I know quite a lot if not the vast majority of Unionists/Loyalists certainly consider themselves British as Northern Ierland is part of the UK.

I found it quite sly/inaccurate of the producers of the Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever that at the start they said ''we are a small country of 4million people.....'' and the list included GEORGE BEST from the North! The Republic has around 4million
    , the North around 1.7million! FFS! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Another pont is some of the people included in the list from Northern Ireland may not consider themselves Irish. I know quite a lot if not the vast majority of Unionists/Loyalists certainly consider themselves British as Northern Ierland is part of the UK.

I found it quite sly/inaccurate of the producers of the Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever that at the start they said ''we are a small country of 4million people.....'' and the list included GEORGE BEST from the North! The Republic has around 4million
    , the North around 1.7million! FFS! :eek:

who on that list wouldnt consider themselves irish? :confused: a twat like geldof, or should i say a twat like sir bob, i wouldnt mind about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

aDeener wrote: »
    who on that list wouldnt consider themselves irish? :confused: a twat like geldof, or should i say a twat like sir bob, i wouldnt mind about!
    I know what you're saying. I would say most would but do you gey my point re people from NI? I couldn't belive when they said 4million and included people from the North for the sports edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

Stephen Gately and Ronan Keating on the list and no Luke Kelly!?

The world is ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

bette wrote: »
    Greatest Irishmen? Well rock stars and boys band warblers do not come into this category!

There are only three decent candidates who are:

Collins
    Lemass
    Pearse

The rest are not great men. They are entertainers and the odd failed politician!

Pearse was a pedophile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Bertie Ahern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Kalimah wrote: »
    Couldn't believe most of that list. Adi Roche??!!
    The only reason Adi Roche is there is because she has a vagina. I voted for Parnell. I reckon if he had a big budget hollywood movie made about him he's get a lot more votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't know what to say about that, it's a fcuking disgrace.
    Colin fcuking Farrell? Ronan fcuking Keating? Stephen Fcuking Gately? Daniel O' Fcuking Donnell? Louis Fcuking Walsh?

And then of course there is no Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris or Samuel Beckett.
    Looking at that list....I'd probably have Neil Jordan and Jim Sheridan up for it as well.

Who makes these lists?

Obviously someone whos main source of information in life is Heat magazine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The only reason Adi Roche is there is because she has a vagina. I voted for Parnell. I reckon if he had a big budget hollywood movie made about him he's get a lot more votes

Stinicker wrote: »
    Bertie Ahern

And he's there because he is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Philo got my vote

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Colin fcuking Farrell? Ronan fcuking Keating? Stephen Fcuking Gately? Daniel O' Fcuking Donnell? Louis Fcuking Walsh?
    That's exactly how I read those names too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

No Gary Breen... No dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Nulty wrote: »

How the f*ck did Gately get in there?

i'd imagine they are just trying to cater for all sections of their readership. either that or the person that put the list together is a flamer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

aDeener wrote: »
    if it was gayest person, it would explain gately and louis walsh's inclusion

And Michael Collins. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Just voted for John O'Shea.

The head of GOAL, not the Man Utd journeyman i take it.. :D
    Before the lads here jump down your throat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Oh dear:confused:

best thing people could do with this list of fcuking liggers and non entities, well 70% of them are anyway, would be to ignore it.

Stephen Gately: please tell me that , genuine as the lad was, how in the name of fcuk does he crop up as a contender for Ireland's greatest person.

Never ever saw such a load of codswallop and pseudo gravitas in all my life.

Bury this load of crap in the deepest bunker as soon as possible before we are the laughing stock of Europe.

Pearse was a pedophile.

not true.
    that stupid bitch ruth dudley edwards tried to make the claim that he was subconciously a pedaster due to some poem he wrote. talk about being obscure. a brother of a woman he was friendly with claimed he proposed to her.

nonsense

And Michael Collins. ;)

less of that!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Where's Mr.Tayto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WBC

Where is William Hamilton or Ernest Walton? Two people who contributed more than most on the list put together.

Although slightly less significant George Stokes, George Boole, John Tyndall, John Bell, William Parsons, etc.

This list is a joke, out of the 40 listed, the only people I could even consider worthy of naming;

Dr Noel Browne
    James Connolly
    Ronnie Drew
    Garret Fitzgearld
    Seamus Heaney
    James Joyce
    John B Keane
    Daniel O Connell
    Brian O Driscoll
    Sonia O Sullivan
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick Pearse
    Christy Ring
    Mary Robison
    Wolfe Tone
    Oscar Wilde
    W B Yeats

I would add
    Enya
    Ernest Walton
    Robert Boyle
    William Hamilton
    Sean Kelly
    Luke Kelly
    Rory Gallagher
    Arthur Guinness
    William Hamilton
    Ernest Shackleton
    Tom Clarke
    Sean MacDermott
    Brian Boru

Lots more I have left but this is what I could think up off the top of my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No Shirley Temple Bar or the fat one from off the rals?
    Duncan_Bannatyne.jpg
    I'm out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Agree with the majority on here - the list is ****e - less than half deserve to be there:

Bono (reluctantly)
    Dr. Noel Browne
    Michael Collins
    James Connolly
    Éamon De Valera (I certainly wouldn't vote for him, but agree he should be on the list)
    Bob Geldof (because of his charity efforts only)
    Séamus Heaney
    John Hume
    James Joyce
    Phil Lynott
    Christy Moore
    Daniel O'Connell
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick H. Pearse
    Mary Robinson
    Wolfe Tone
    Oscar Wilde
    W.B. Yeats

People I'd add:

Countess Markiewicz
    Maud Gonne
    Jim Larkin
    Michael Davitt
    Robert Emmett
    Jonathon Swift
    Arthur Wellesley
    Samel Beckett
    Bobby Sands
    Brian Behan
    Rory Gallagher
    Gary Moore
    Henry Grattan
    Tom Crean
    Ernest Shakleton
    Brian Boru
    George Best

I think it would be a good idea for boards to come up with forty and to vote for them. Would probably be hard to get consensus on the forty though.

Stephen Gately: please tell me that , genuine as the lad was, how in the name of fcuk does he crop up as a contender for Ireland's greatest person.
    Because he was gay and he died recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Because he was gay and he died recently.

Sad to say, this is probably the true reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WBC

I think the best test of the list is to imagine it was 2110 and try and guess if the people on the list would be seen in the same light they are now. Would anyone honestly know who Ronan Keating, Stephen Gately, Louis Walsh etc are?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WBC wrote: »
    I think the best test of the list is to imagine it was 2110 and try and guess if the people on the list would be seen in the same light they are now. Would anyone honestly know who Ronan Keating, Stephen Gately, Louis Walsh etc are?
    Maybe they'll be held up as examples of just how self centred and dumb people in our time where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'm surprised Mary O'Rourke isn't in there somewhere, she usually sticks her nose into everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm surprised Mary O'Rourke isn't in there somewhere, she usually sticks her nose into everything.

If it was a Newstalk survey........

Advertisement