Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ongoing religious scandals

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    [...] What Pope Benedict Knew [...]
    What Frank think is that "around 2%" of catholic priests are pedophiles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28282050

...which, I believe, would put the RCC significantly ahead of the figures for the rest of the population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The RCC in Australia is in damage-recovery after a bishop tells a lawyer - something - which results in the lawyer demanding that a sex abuse victim return her cash settlement after she speaks with the media about the abuse.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-21/church-lawyer-demands-child-abuse-victim-repay-compensation/7105382

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Has there ever been any research to show

Whether there is a higher proportion of pedophiles in the priesthood compared to lay life.

Whether there is a higher proportion of pedophiles in the RC church than other churches where ministers/priests are married.

Whether men become priests because they know they have pedophile sexual preferences

Or whether they become pedophiles out of frustration and opportunity.

How many young men were ordered/coerced or persuaded into the priesthood by their parents in order to have 'a priest in the family' (which used to be a big thing, a daughter as a nun was nearly as good).

duplicate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting. I posted this on the schools thread, as the O Keeffe ruling is quite significant, in terms of whether the state is ultimately responsible for them or not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

kbannon wrote: »

Unfortunately none of this surprises me, the abuse or the cover up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also doesn't surprise me, just seems like business as usual for the church

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/25/respect-5/

Respect???
    “Easter 1916 was a cold and passionate dawn, for a new Ireland. In 100 years we have built on the new day the Rising leaders gave us. We founded a new state, we declared a Republic, we joined the European Union. At long last, we put our children first and respected the Magdelene women. We made marriage equal. It is that sense of generosity, compassion, strength, and imagination that will be the making of us as a people, a nation.”

Enda Kenny speaking at the Fine Gael Ard Fheis at the weekend.

375842.png
    In addition, readers may wish to recall a post from 2014, based on a BBC report about then 83-year-old Mary Merritt who spent 14 years in the High Park magdalene laundry in Drumcondra, Dublin.

It was reported that Ms Merritt told former Senator Martin McAleese – author of the McAleese Report into the magdalene laundries – about how, one day, she broke a window and ran away from the laundry. She went to a priest and begged for help. The priest raped her before giving her sixpence. The gardaí then brought her back to the laundry. Ms Merritt became pregnant as a result of the rape. Her daughter, Carmel, was taken by the nuns and put up for adoption. Ms Merritt didn’t see her daughter again for another 40 years.

Ms Merritt’s testimony of her rape was not included in the McAleese Report.

Good ****! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/25/respect-5/

Respect???

Enda Kenny speaking at the Fine Gael Ard Fheis at the weekend.

375842.png

Good ****! :mad:

Hundreds of pages of testimony of violent physical abuse were included with the report, but none were referenced by it and the type of violence they describe almost totally dismissed as a common phenomena, going on memory. Nice to see FG breaking the mould there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

“Easter 1916 was a cold and passionate dawn, for a new Ireland. In 100 years we have built on the new day the Rising leaders gave us. We founded a new state, we declared a Republic, we joined the European Union. At long last, we put our children first and respected the Magdelene women. We made marriage equal. It is that sense of generosity, compassion, strength, and imagination that will be the making of us as a people, a nation.”

Apart from the factual sentence about founding a new state, declaring a republic and joining the EU, there is not one word of truth in this paragraph, unless "built on" somehow now means "criminally squandered" and "respected" now means "told to fcuk off". And as for putting our children first, I'm fairly sure our young emigrants might reinterpret our "sense of generosity, compassion, strength, and imagination" to a "dangerous sense of gullibility and childish fantasy".

Otherwise, nice speech :rolleyes:

3am FG HQ.....

'But we have to get him to reference it, the year that's in it'
    'Yeah, but it has to be done in the most vague non-revolutionary way possible'
    'Careful now' is the way we go'
    'I have it......'

Easter 1916 was a cold and passionate dawn, for a new Ireland.

“Easter 1916 was a cold and passionate dawn, for a new Ireland. In 100 years we have built on It took us 100 years to build on the new day the Rising leaders gave us. We founded a new state, we declared a Republic, we joined the European Union. At long last, we put our children first and respected the Magdelene women. We made marriage equal. It is that sense of generosity, compassion, strength, and imagination that will be the making of us as a people, a nation.”

Fixed that for you. Its still a dodgy mixed metaphore mind you.

looksee wrote: »
    “Easter 1916 was a cold and passionate dawn, for a new Ireland. In 100 years we have built on It took us 100 years to build on the new day the Rising leaders gave us. We founded a new state, we declared a Republic, we joined the European Union. At long last, we put our children first and respected the Magdelene women. We made marriage equal. It is that sense of generosity, compassion, strength, and imagination that will be the making of us as a people, a nation.”

Fixed that for you. Its still a dodgy mixed metaphore mind you.

'and because of those brave rebels, women are free to feck off to Britain to carry out their dirty business' was probably deemed too dubious, I suppose.

Also they certainly didn't build on the Ireland that existed for decades, stuff like marriage equality, getting rid of Magdelene places etc has involved the shedding of catholic control. Not building on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

we put our children first

If they're catholic :mad:

Scrap the cap!

Would-be priest (23) charged with 'trying to arrange sex with infant girl'
    A Roman Catholic seminary student has been arrested in California, suspected of intending to travel to Mexico to have sex with a baby or toddler.

A Roman Catholic seminary student has been arrested in California, suspected of intending to travel to Mexico to have sex with a baby or toddler.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »

...in fairness, no coverup there by the looks of it, bad as it is.

Nodin wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that there was a cover up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Nodin wrote: »

Because he wasnt ordained yet.

Because he wasnt ordained yet.

Not a made man.

Scrap the cap!

Not a made man.

'not a friend of ours'

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Let's discuss this case

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0204/765448-rape-appeal/
    The Court of Appeal has reserved its decision on the appeal by the DPP against the leniency of a seven-year suspended sentence imposed on a man who repeatedly raped his girlfriend while she slept.

Oh no, I just realised it doesnt involve a priest so it's not worth discussing.

Perhaps this one
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0118/761093-ellahi-sentence-courts/
    A young woman with Down Syndrome who was raped has been robbed of her independence and the future she could have had, a sentencing hearing has heard.

Faisal Ellahi, 34, was convicted last December of raping and sexually assaulting the young woman, who is in her 20s.

No mate, this doesnt involve a priest or religuous person either.

Well then we really need to discuss how appalling this is
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1102/739028-man-jailed-for-15-years-for-assaulting-daughter/

A 77-year-old man is facing seven years in jail for raping his daughter.

James Broderick was sentenced at the Central Criminal Court to 15 years in prison, with the final eight years suspended, for the rape and indecent assault of his daughter Rita Broderick, who has waived her right to anonymity.

No, do you not get the drift? We are only interested around here in rapes and abuse when it's a priest or religuous that commit the crime. These offenders are ordinary people not priests so these things happen, not worth commenting on.

Guys and gals, this is an absolutely ridiculous thread. Either discuss this stuff when it involves all people not just singling out one part of the population. I dont see a thread over in the Christianity section of scandals involving atheists and if there was I would rant at them also.

G'wan, tell us we're all going to hell.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell us more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

jimd2 wrote: »
    No, do you not get the drift? We are only interested around here in rapes and abuse when it's a priest or religuous that commit the crime. These offenders are ordinary people not priests so these things happen, not worth commenting on.

Guys and gals, this is an absolutely ridiculous thread. Either discuss this stuff when it involves all people not just singling out one part of the population. I dont see a thread over in the Christianity section of scandals involving atheists and if there was I would rant at them also.

The subject of the thread, is ongoing religious scandals. There are as you quite rightly point out, plenty of other forums where the cases you mention can be discussed.

Bloody poor attempt at whataboutery though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Either discuss this stuff when it involves all people not just singling out one part of the population.

I think the point has whooshed straight over your head that scandals involving only the religious orders are highlighted here due to their job description of preaching and imposition of a (allegedly superior) high moral ground. These scandals are relevant to us in terms of the double standards and outright lies of those who claim to be "holier than thou".

We are only interested around here in rapes and abuse when it's a priest or religuous that commit the crime. These offenders are ordinary people not priests so these things happen, not worth commenting on.
    The clue's in the thread title - "Ongoing religious scandals".

If you take the time to read back through the thread, you'll see mention of scandals involving money, politics, seedy and illegal activities of all kinds by religious leaders and religious workers of all hues and creeds, in addition to what appears to be your area of special interest - sex crimes.

The intention is (a) that the forum has a single place to store stories of antisocial behaviour by religious workers so that the continuous stream of reports don't clutter up discussions in the rest of the forum and (b) that the claims to moral superiority of the religions which appear in this thread can be clearly seen, in a single place, for what they are - pious, endless hypocrisy.

You could always go and start one!

Guys and gals, this is an absolutely ridiculous thread.

Jimd2 you certainly have some form in this regard:
    In all honesty.....who cares?
    Thinly disguised "look at me drinking on Good Friday, how cool is that?"

No one here cares what the OP is drinking today, yesterday or any day. Not sure why I am even wasting my time posting this.
    I couldn't care less who drinks what, it just seemed to be a stupid thread.
    As I said don't be getting your knickers in a twist over this issue. Not an issue worthy of a thread on this site and is only brought up by people that seem to have very little to worry about.
    But to start an internet thread because of a reference to prayer made by the vet is showing just as much bigotry imo as many Christians do and are rightfully criticised here.
    If you dont want to practice religion then it s up to you. You wont find Catholics starting discussion threads slagging you off. Find something else to moan about.
    Disgraceful thread opening post that has no place on this or an other forum on Boards.
    Maybe I was a little harsh , however it is a tad sarcastic in its tone and I am not sure why it is being discussed at all on an atheist forum.
    I cant decide if it is funny or pathetic but it is a little sad that some people have so little to do during the day that they have to resort to some of the stuff on this thread.

A lot of people including myself would concur with many things on this forum overall but in my opinion a thread like this lets the forum down.
    Is that meant to be funny.....poor form from the forum moderator.

Scrap the cap!

Jimd2 you certainly have some form in this regard:

Good man hot black you certainly have a lot to be doing on a Friday afternoon if you have time to search through my posts and and quote me to show I have 'form'.

Are you saying that I am not allowed comment on this?

I think I made my point quite clearly and I don't need to repeat myself and, no, I have more to be doing than to be starting a counter thread of scandals involving non religious or the overall population.

I just don't think it is right to have a religious bashing thread like this in which people just focus on scandals from one part of the population with no context. I mean someone was even quoting US sex abuse cases. No context or reference to overall sexual crime levels in the US, I have no idea whether religious are more or less prevalent than other parts of the population over there.

I just think that it's a pathetic thread designed to ramp up hatred for religious people. Then again maybe that's what some people on here want to see happen.

You are quite entitled to think it is a pathetic thread, that's what Boards is about, opinions. I wonder why it is causing you so much concern though? Nothing has been posted that is not factual, or at any rate has appeared in newspapers and other media. You appear to prefer us to ignore it, why would we?

I have come across lots of people with your approach to religious scandals, don't talk about them and they didn't happen. Bit like there being no sex before the Late Late Show. We prefer to point out the hypocrisy; if you are a committed Christian you should approve of this cleansing of a badly damaged organisation. You know the quote about 'whitened sepulchre' - gleaming on the outside and corrupt within?

This forum responds to the nonsense and makey-uppy stuff that is religion. We generally discuss the aspects of religion that do impinge on our lives, whether we like them or not. When, say, the RC church stops meddling in state business and gets on with addressing the deity and telling its actual followers what to think, then we will have less to talk about. In the meantime all we have to fight back with is derision. If you do not want to read it, just don't come into the forum. Its a bit like picking a scab though, isn't it? Kind of irresistible!

• Advertisement

I just think that it's a pathetic thread designed to ramp up hatred for religious people. Then again maybe that's what some people on here want to see happen.

Ye have me sussed. I confess to that, as well as signing the Liberal Agenda.

Good man hot black you certainly have a lot to be doing on a Friday afternoon

I can do whatever I like on a day off :cool:

No. Saying people can't comment on something one doesn't like appears to be your speciality :p
    I think I made my point quite clearly and I don't need to repeat myself

...but you will...
    I just don't think it is right to have a religious bashing thread like this... etc

Yeah yeah yeah we get it (again)

No. It exposes religious leaders for what they are, hypocrites and liars and criminals who cover up abuses rather than have the reputation of their organisation sullied by the truth getting out.

Bear in mind it's primarily the followers of religions and their children who suffer from these abuses, exposing and discussing them is actually doing religious people a favour, whether they choose to remain a member of their religion or not.

Scrap the cap!

I just think that it's a pathetic thread designed to ramp up hatred for religious people.
    So why are you contributing to it? :confused:

• Moderators Posts: 51,859 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Good man hot black you certainly have a lot to be doing on a Friday afternoon if you have time to search through my posts and and quote me to show I have 'form'.

I think I made my point quite clearly and I don't need to repeat myself and, no, I have more to be doing than to be starting a counter thread of scandals involving non religious or the overall population.

I just don't think it is right to have a religious bashing thread like this in which people just focus on scandals from one part of the population with no context. I mean someone was even quoting US sex abuse cases. No context or reference to overall sexual crime levels in the US, I have no idea whether religious are more or less prevalent than other parts of the population over there.

Discussing scandals pertaining to religious groups isn't religious bashing. Most, if not all the groups, have a special place within society. Some members of the hierachy use their position of power to abuse children. It's hardly surprising that a discussion would appear in a forum where a section of posters don't think religious groups should be treated any different from any other organisation in society.

Do you go into threads about corruption in FIFA telling people that it's ramping up hatred against soccer fans/players?

If you don't like the topic, don't read the thread. But it's far better to discuss the various cases mentioned in the thread rather than ignore them.

If you can read this, you're too close!

robindch wrote: »
    So why are you contributing to it? :confused:

Its standard policy for many religious people to try and whitewash the issue and stop people discussing and thinking about abuse. :P

Remember, repeat after me "The abuse in the catholic church is not systemic", you have to remember to share the Vaticans viewpont.

• Advertisement

Remember, repeat after me "The abuse in the catholic church is not systemic", you have to remember to share the Vaticans viewpont.
    Different times, different standards - another one of the church's more flexible moral absolutes.

I see it now.

You are quite entitled to think it is a pathetic thread, that's what Boards is about, opinions. I wonder why it is causing you so much concern though? Nothing has been posted that is not factual, or at any rate has appeared in newspapers and other media. You appear to prefer us to ignore it, why would we?

I have come across lots of people with your approach to religious scandals, don't talk about them and they didn't happen. Bit like there being no sex before the Late Late Show. We prefer to point out the hypocrisy; if you are a committed Christian you should approve of this cleansing of a badly damaged organisation. You know the quote about 'whitened sepulchre' - gleaming on the outside and corrupt within?

This forum responds to the nonsense and makey-uppy stuff that is religion. We generally discuss the aspects of religion that do impinge on our lives, whether we like them or not. When, say, the RC church stops meddling in state business and gets on with addressing the deity and telling its actual followers what to think, then we will have less to talk about. In the meantime all we have to fight back with is derision. If you do not want to read it, just don't come into the forum. Its a bit like picking a scab though, isn't it? Kind of irresistible!

I am not saying that this should not be discussed, it's the focus on one part of the community that is pathetic.

Delirium wrote: »
    Discussing scandals pertaining to religious groups isn't religious bashing. Most, if not all the groups, have a special place within society. Some members of the hierachy use their position of power to abuse children. It's hardly surprising that a discussion would appear in a forum where a section of posters don't think religious groups should be treated any different from any other organisation in society.

Do you go into threads about corruption in FIFA telling people that it's ramping up hatred against soccer fans/players?

If you don't like the topic, don't read the thread. But it's far better to discuss the various cases mentioned in the thread rather than ignore them.

I didnt say that it was drumming up hatred against ordinary catholics because I dont think that it does. I do think that it promotes hatred against priests the vast majority of whom are good people.

Its standard policy for many religious people to try and whitewash the issue and stop people discussing and thinking about abuse. :P

I wouldn't count myself as being a particularly religious person but I really hate some of the blinkered attitudes on here, or specifically this thread in which there is almost a delight and gloating over any issues of religious impropriety and no mention of similar stuff happening in the wider community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Vatican ‘corrupt’ says child protection commission member
    UK child sex abuse lobbyist Peter Saunders, who was given a “leave of absence” from his role in the Holy See’s Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors last weekend, has said that the “Vatican system” seems “essentially corrupt and unwilling to do the right thing”.

I wouldn't count myself as being a particularly religious person but I really hate some of the blinkered attitudes on here, or specifically this thread in which there is almost a delight and gloating over any issues of religious impropriety and no mention of similar stuff happening in the wider community.

Why do you say attitudes are 'blinkered'? Because we don't discuss these issues when they happen in the wider community? That is not blinkered, it has to do with relevance.

This forum mainly exists because we happen to live in a country where the RC church has an unreasonable hold on our lives. It tells us (all of us, including people who have no allegiance to the church or its teachings) how we can live and what we may do, but then doesn't have the decency to uphold its own rules and principles. It isn't delight and gloating of issues of religious impropriety it is disgust and dismay.

Why do you say attitudes are 'blinkered'?

Translation: "People are saying things I disagree with"

Scrap the cap!

This post has been deleted.

First of all, I wont be reading the thread contents besides answering points directly made to me.

And secondly, I am not here spouting the virtues of Catholicism.

First of all, I wont be reading the thread contents besides answering points directly made to me.

Why not jim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement