Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failover Clustering Server 2012

Options
  • 13-01-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭

I have a scenario with two different geographic locations I'm looking to set up, with one being for disaster recovery.

I have a virtual machine on site 1 and a virtual machine on site 2. The service I'm looking to have failover for is Microsoft Dynamics CRM Email Router, so I have been trying to go off this article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699708(v=crm.6).aspx

Now I understand I need to make a failover cluster which I'm not overly familiar with. From most things I read the quorum for the cluster is some shared location. The problem I see here is that each of my sites needs to be totally autonomous, so that if either site is completely lost the other site goes on. So if my quorum is on either site and it goes down am I correct in thinking the cluster is fecked?

What I'd want is some sort of replica of the quorum on both sites or what would be the recommended norm in this instance? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are the 2 sites completely different or are they identical with some syncing or replication occurring ? FOC is only meant to failover to another identical machine or system in the event of a failure. If it's 2 geographically different sites then the FOC applies to each site. Is there a WAN link between the 2 hosts ? If not then I don't think FOC is not what you're looking for.

Can you describe the setup with a bit more detail ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hi Ush1

The recommended solution is for the witness to be on a third site but that's not always an option so usually 1 site is chosen to host the witness. This does mean if that site goes offline then your cluster will fail die to quorum being lost, you can configure an alternate witness and activate that on the secondary site to get your cluster working again. It's not ideal but for smaller setups and if some downtime is acceptable then it's an option.

Server 2016 allows you to use a cloud witness which is hosted in azure so you have a third site, costs are pretty cheap as it's not a full VM but it won't work with server 2012

Advertisement