Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A service centre close to central Dublin?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Our van will have a flat battery due to being parked outside partner's parents house and nobody turning it on.... It may also need work and certainly needs its DoE. We called the place recommended by motorcaravan club but they said it would 200e just to get it to them. Can anywhere recommend somewhere else closer that services vans- presume it wouldn't need to be camper specific? It is currently in fairly central Dublin, southside...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

But yourself some jump leads and jumps it off another vehicle. That will at least get it running.

If you have insurance with recovery they might be able to get it started at home for you.

If it is vehicle work. Ie on the van not the camper I have used oakway on the ballymount road for work and Doe and found them to be good.

Tel 01 4566777

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

650Ginge wrote: »
    But yourself some jump leads and jumps it off another vehicle. That will at least get it running.

If you have insurance with recovery they might be able to get it started at home for you.

If it is vehicle work. Ie on the van not the camper I have used oakway on the ballymount road for work and Doe and found them to be good.

Tel 01 4566777

Yes might give jump starting a go. Its not insured though we need to fill in a couple of windows first (limited in providers due to having a 'primary vehicle').

Oh, and yes for vehicle work and DoE- although if anyone has recommendations for window filling in then that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Oh, and yes for vehicle work and DoE- although if anyone has recommendations for window filling in then that would be great!

Are you the person that was told to fill them in with metal?

My friend had rear windows covered with opaque white vinyl to match the van before sending the pics to the insurance there was no issue.

I wonder if you can get opaque security film its incredibly tough stuff that might keep the insurance guys happy if they've already requested the windows filled in.

If you absolutely must fill in with metal then the method I worked out for my friends van was be to use the window rubbers, you could cut some sheet aluminium (you can get it precoated in white so save painting) to the same dimensions as the glass, lay the aluminium on the back of old glass and weight down lightly to get the correct curvature then glue timber battens to the aluminium with bond and seal to make it rigid and maintain the curvature. Then fit you new aluminium window in place of the glass one. The sluminium is lightly to be a couple of mm thinner thatn the glass so you may need to shim the rubber from behind.

The other thing I had thougt was to seal and pop rivet it like the old buses then cut off the outer section of the rubber and bond it to the van with black sealant to cover the joint and rivets. Much harder to get a clean finish that way though.

Yes, that's us! This time it really does need doing as we are planning long trips over the summer.

I'm a bit confused but will go through what you said later.
    paddyp wrote: »
    Then fit you new aluminium window in place of the glass one
    Do you mean a two layered thing- an internal and external aluminium layer?

Re your friend who used opaque white vinyl, did they lay it on both sides, or were the insurance co only concerned with the external view? Would be great if we could do that! (Do you know which co. it was by any chance?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Yes, that's us! This time it really does need doing as we are planning long trips over the summer.

I'm a bit confused but will go through what you said later.

Do you mean a two layered thing- an internal and external aluminium layer?

Re your friend who used opaque white vinyl, did they lay it on both sides, or were the insurance co only concerned with the external view? Would be great if we could do that! (Do you know which co. it was by any chance?).

His was with stuarts they were more concerned about image I think that safety or anything. Just check with my friend who has security film on his windows but the guy that supplied it can only do clear, tinted or frosted no opaques.

EFHAOXC.jpg

Thank you very much, we will returning to this job after next wednesday when we have time.

Advertisement