Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancer Cure

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

personally i like to hear about these breakthroughs. a cure for cancer/better treatment can only be a good thing.

i don't understand why people want to put a negative spin on these things :confused:

would these people be grateful if their family and friends died of cancer, so to keep the world population down? really? if not, then why think like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

SugarHigh wrote: »
    That's like saying an increase in birth rate won't increase the population because they will die eventually.

They don't need to reproduce to add to the population by simply being alive they are a +1 to the population. This is really simple and I can't believe you don't understand the concept.

Totally different scenarios. When babies are born, they grow up and have more kids of their own. This is what people worried about over-population are referring to when they speak of the problem - high growth rates. High growth rates can result in populations doubling in a very short space of time. Lower death rates from cancer would have no effect on growth rates, and thus have no effect on the doubling time. Funny that it's actually you that's incapable of understanding this concept.

A major breakthrough in cancer would lead to a once off increase in the population and have no effect on long-term population growth rates. It would take years to occur as more and more people get a chance at a longer life but eventually the population would stop rising.

In short if you want to avoid over-population then keeping the birth rate low is the only thing required (and they're already far too low in most of the Western world). We can still develop life saving medicines without bringing on the apocalypse .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Yop
    They Will have it licked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

personally i like to hear about these breakthroughs. a cure for cancer/better treatment can only be a good thing.

i don't understand why people want to put a negative spin on these things :confused:

would these people be grateful if their family and friends died of cancer, so to keep the world population down? really? if not, then why think like that?
    Because sometimes a rational response is more interesting than a uniformed emotional one.

Because sometimes a rational response is more interesting than a uniformed emotional one.

well i really hope you never lose a friend or family member to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I think it's because people hear about "potential" breakthroughs every week and most of them never happen for one reason or another. So people are understandably wary of such stories.

iUseVi wrote: »
    I think it's because people hear about "potential" breakthroughs every week and most of them never happen for one reason or another. So people are understandably wary of such stories.

its not about being wary, its about thinking if a cure for cancer came about that it would be bad. thats what i'm talking about.

its not about being wary, its about thinking if a cure for cancer came about that it would be bad. thats what i'm talking about.
    I pointed out a negative effect that isn't to say it would be a bad thing overall.

Are you capable of anything other than simple emotional responses?

Totally different scenarios. When babies are born, they grow up and have more kids of their own. This is what people worried about over-population are referring to when they speak of the problem - high growth rates. High growth rates can result in populations doubling in a very short space of time. Lower death rates from cancer would have no effect on growth rates, and thus have no effect on the doubling time. Funny that it's actually you that's incapable of understanding this concept.

A major breakthrough in cancer would lead to a once off increase in the population and have no effect on long-term population growth rates. It would take years to occur as more and more people get a chance at a longer life but eventually the population would stop rising.

In short if you want to avoid over-population then keeping the birth rate low is the only thing required (and they're already far too low in most of the Western world). We can still develop life saving medicines without bringing on the apocalypse .
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Stage5.svg
    Notice how population growth occurs even though the birth rate decreased. It's called the Demographic transition model.

• Advertisement

I pointed out a negative effect that isn't to say it would be a bad thing overall.

Are you capable of anything other than simple emotional responses?

its the fact that you pointed out a negative effect thats alien to me.

are you capable of any emotional responses?

its the fact that you pointed out a negative effect thats alien to me.

are you capable of any emotional responses?
    Being emotional is not a good thing. I think you've been fooled by too many tv soaps that we should all be irrational beings who make choices based on emotional responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Let's hope this works

Being emotional is not a good thing. I think you've been fooled by too many tv soaps that we should all be irrational beings who make choices based on emotional responses.

mwah! thats the second time you've said that to me.

i'm done with you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

the brits will try and claim it, they always do
    Hey.. did you hear about this new cancer cure we've come up with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Stage5.svg
    Notice how population growth occurs even though the birth rate decreased. It's called the Demographic transition model.

That's totally irrelevant. That graph charts the shifts in a country's demographics as it gets richer. It doesn't explain exponential growth. What you also need to realise is that in that model initial birth rates are suitably high that a decrease in the death rate will result in sustainable population growth. When birth rates are low enough this doesn't happen. Also the initial decrease in the death rate is partly because of a decrease in the infant mortality rate. With cancer treatments we're talking about extending the life of people who are not going to (or are at least very unlikely to) have any more children.

• Advertisement

That's totally irrelevant. That graph charts the shifts in a country's demographics as it gets richer. It doesn't explain exponential growth. What you also need to realise is that in that model initial birth rates are suitably high that a decrease in the death rate will result in sustainable population growth. When birth rates are low enough this doesn't happen. Also the initial decrease in the death rate is partly because of a decrease in the infant mortality rate. With cancer treatments we're talking about extending the life of people who are not going to (or are at least very unlikely to) have any more children.
    This doesn't make a difference. every year less people would while the birth rate would be the same.

you seem to be stuck on exponential growth. I never said it would cause exponential growth just that it would cause growth and it would not just be a once of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Scientists at a Cork research centre claim they may have found a better way of treating cancer than chemotherapy, instead using bacteria commonly found in pro-biotic yoghurt.
    Their breakthrough has been hailed as being at the cutting-edge of science by an international expert.

That expert being none other than Derek Acorah.
    Well.... he does know a lot about the yakult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hmmm....a bit less sugar methinks....
    Hmm....a few less opinions methinks....

• Advertisement

Hmm....a few less opinions methinks....

Touche, sugarjunky, touche...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Being emotional is not a good thing.

Why is only being rational a good thing? Would anything really matter if people couldn't feel an emotional response to things? All that would matter would be survival and reproduction.

On topic - as one person who has recently witnessed the suffering and experienced the death of a loved one from cancer all I can say is even if this only prevents one person from having to go through that ordeal, it's something worth celebrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

This seems to be the crux of the argument, it's always the other people who are causing the problems, in this case it is just being born because those doctors just had to go and attempt to cure cancer, woe is them.

What you would call a rational response here I would call either being brainwashed or just plain 100% stupid.

I've already told you that there are modern day causes that are the sole reason why overpopulation will become a bad thing very soon. Why are you quoting demographics to further claims that are refuted in the same geography book you first read about overpopulation :confused:

You might not be aware of it but a simple wikipedia search will bring up amazing facts like "why people in developing countries practice overpopulation as a means of sustenance in order to just make a living because they are too poor to survive with 2 or 3 children".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation#Education_and_empowerment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation#Land

It's unfortunate this part of the article doesn't mention the adverse affects on land and the utter waste of land going to feed the cattle we intend to eat but what can you do... (another google search perhaps?).

okay! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_vegetarianism
    http://consumercide.com/js/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=379:how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-meat-eater&catid=39:necessarily-vegetarian&Itemid=77
    http://www.vegsoc.org/environment/land_use.html
    http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/environment.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation#Wealth_and_poverty

Seriously? Seriously?
    An interesting paper that talks about the possible negative effects of medical advancement

Well at least you've spelt out where your coming from now, at least there's no hiding it anymore.

These damn doctors and their medicine eh? We don't need their medicine, we're doing fine without them eh?

I'm sure you're with Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine rant too eh seeing as those doctors just come out with possibly negative medicine?

http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/Jenny_McCarthy_Body_Count/Home.html

as opposed to all the helpful holistic alternatives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Didn't cancer overtake heart disease as being the biggest killer in the world?

With heart surgery advancing very quickly recently(There are robots being developed that can perform heart surgery) and cancer getting better treatment this will make over population an even bigger threat.

It sounds ****ed up to think of it that way but it's true that people need to die.

When most people in the world can barely afford food, let alone robotic heart treatment....I don't think you'll need to worry just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

hahaha, ok Commander Data, we'll try not to cry all over this debate with our annoying "humanity".
    :P

Also: There are emotions; hence there are ****ty soap operas.

Not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 andy1981

My Dad had cancer.. 4 years in remission ( thats the term I think for cured)
    He tried all sorts of stuff to get rid of it, obviously the year of chemo followed by radiation and a bone marrow transplant had a huge effect but he did try this horrible home made yougurt fungus thing.
    He was given this herbal yogurt that he added water to every night. In the morning when more of the fungus had grown he would have to drink the stuff. Imagine leaving your uneaten sambos from school in your bag all Summer and in September opening your lunch box. The smell was awful!! But he would try anything.. point being there could be some truth to this yogurt thing!
    Also had Reiki, went to Lourdes and Knock, some how had padre pio's glove!!
    maybe it was the yogurt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

even cancer can't stand cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

There have been different "therapies" that have been helping those suffering from Cancer.

The problem is that there are so many charlatans that they drown out the legitimate people, many of them doctors, that have remarkable case studies to back-up their claims.

Maybe people will remember Dr Pascal Carmody who the state brought to court.

The Joe Duffy started the whole campaign against the guy.

I remember Joe saying "So he just takes fohtoes duz he, takes fohtos of the cansir and charges ya thousands.." :rolleyes:

That was referring to the fact that Dr Carmody used Photo Dynamic Therapy, something that is now being used on hospitals as a cancer treatment, despite the Medical Profession referring to it a scam back in 2005.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/photodynamic

Carmody treated hundreds of Cancer sufferers that hospitals had sent home to die, many of them are alive today. He provided these case studies at his trial. Whether that is a coincidence or not, fuck knows.

Steve McQueen last few years were quite remarkable and tied closely to alternative cancer cures.

Dr William Donald Kelley, the author of One Answer To Cancer began treating him in 1980 in Mexico.

Apparently the hospitals gave him a month to live and wouldn't operate. Steve had become convinced that the Pharmaceutical industry were just really a money making entity run my the mafia according to this Dr Kelley. He was convinced the FBI were recording his calls also as a result of seeking alternative treatment.

Scientoligists even tried to take over the Kelley Program at one stage as they believed it to be remarkable, Kelley told them to fuck off. The National Enquirer broke the story even though Steve had begged them not to.

He lived for another five months but then was in fact operated on when brought back from Mexico, but died shortly afterwords.

NBC blamed Dr Kelley for the death of McQueen as he died shortly after complications to remove tumors. Dr Kelley claimed they operated only to make it look like they wanted to treat him when in fact they had given him a month to live and he kept him alive for five extra months and claimed this was akin to murder as he would have lived even longer without the operation.

In fact he was convinced Steve's tumors were shrinking and if they had wanted to operate, why not do it five months previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

While an effective treatment is great, Its sad that the medical industry is so warped and profit orientated that they seek out treatment rather then all out cure, as the treatments where the money is.

hobochris wrote: »
    While an effective treatment is great, Its sad that the medical industry is so warped and profit orientated that they seek out treatment rather then all out cure, as the treatments where the money is.

I read a very interesting article on alternet about a plant extract that can cure heroin addiction in one sitting.. It's a very strong hallucinogen though and there's no benefit to companies in curing patients in one treatment so it's now illegal in the US. Lobbying at work again.. No idea how it's allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Mousey- wrote: »
    itll be like "i am legend", just based in cork

I can see that happening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I read a very interesting article on alternet about a plant extract that can cure heroin addiction in one sitting.. It's a very strong hallucinogen though and there's no benefit to companies in curing patients in one treatment so it's now illegal in the US. Lobbying at work again.. No idea how it's allowed.

it's allowed because the almighty dollar dictates how the world turns. in fact this cork thing (i'm sceptical becuase i haven't read a real paper on it yet, but i'll check it out during today) will go the same way unless there is a patent for it. i once met a US guy during a conference who discovered a real cure for prostate cancer with some absolutely incredible work that he did about ten/twelve years ago, but because somebody mouthed about it too early there was no position to patent the technology, and thus no cure.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Dr William Donald Kelley, the author of One Answer To Cancer began treating him in 1980 in Mexico.

I just read some of the stuff in this link. :eek:
    Didn't get much past the what is cancer on account of the psychotically wrong information there.

I just read some of the stuff in this link. :eek:
    Didn't get much past the what is cancer on account of the psychotically wrong information there.

That link is a complete transcript of Dr Kelley's book, it's not meant to point out any information as been correct or incorrect.

Dr Nicolas Gonzalaz has taken up Dr Kelley's work and indeed his trials have even been funded by the US Government.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/gonzalez/Patient/page2

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Kanye

Only in Cork will you find someone smug enough to think they've cured cancer with Yakult.

They also believe Tanora is an aphrodisiac.

That link is a complete transcript of Dr Kelley's book, it's not meant to point out any information as been correct or incorrect.

Well whatever. The fact is some of the statements there are delusionally wrong. One thing thats not clear to me - is he talking purely about pancreatic cancer specifically or cancer in general ?
    Dr Nicolas Gonzalaz has taken up Dr Kelley's work and indeed his trials have even been funded by the US Government.

Who is funding a trial proves nothing (hmmm except maybe bias....but thats another story)

Well whatever.

"Whatever"? What's with the attitude, I am just telling what the link was for, NOT for information on how to cure cancer, it was to point to what book the guy I was talking about wrote.
    Who is funding a trial proves nothing (hmmm except maybe bias....but thats another story)

Who said it proved anything?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We won't know for sure for 5 -10 years after some serious clinical trials have been conducted. But it's great news regardless, you just wonder if our health service was properly funded and not mismanaged, what else would be possible??

"Whatever"? What's with the attitude, I am just telling what the link was for, NOT for information on how to cure cancer, it was to point to what book the guy I was talking about wrote.

Who said it proved anything?? :rolleyes:

Pete as it was on anoter recent thread, its what you don't say that carries more weight.
    I'm done.
    Peace out

• Advertisement

Pete as it was on anoter recent thread, its what you don't say that carries more weight.
    I'm done.
    Peace out

Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Haha brilliant :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement