Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exterior doors difficult to lock

Options
  • 31-03-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem with both my front and back doors at home - they are both locking and unlocking, but in both cases you have to apply a fair but of force to the handle pushing them upwards in order to get the lock cylinder to turn easily.

It is possible to turn the lock without pushing the handle up too hard but there is of course a real danger of breaking the key in the lock.

I know that doors generally have adjustment screws on the hinges, and the door jamb lock "receiver" could be adjusted slightly, but I'm wondering if I just need to clean around the door, if I need to oil anything or if I need to try to raise/lower the door on the hinges slightly?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen84

if this is a new problem then you may be in a bit of bother. Slight chance of pyrite if house is built in 2007ish. Other than that it could be door hardware is knackered. Also twist is possible.

If its a new fittout then installer never leveled up the stile and head and frame is out of square. There may be adjusters on the locksets but it all depends

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Its probably just the mechanism needs a good cleaning and oiling. This happens my house a good bit, especially the doors used less frequently.

Open the door and look down the edge - if its like mine you should see a long metal strip running the length of the door. This contains the lock and locking system. Take all he screws out, remove it and wipe it with a cloth. Then spray a good bit of oil/wd40 all along it, making sure to open and close the lock/slide the locking bolts up and down. Put it back on and it should be like new.

You may have to remove both the front and back handles to get it of the door.

10 minute job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Do you have the same problem trying to lock the door if the door is open? As in locking the door open rather than closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Stephen84 wrote: »
    if this is a new problem then you may be in a bit of bother. Slight chance of pyrite if house is built in 2007ish. Other than that it could be door hardware is knackered. Also twist is possible.

If its a new fittout then installer never leveled up the stile and head and frame is out of square. There may be adjusters on the locksets but it all depends
    Ah FFS,

the OP has what is most likely a simple locking mech problem, in many cases easily fixed by the homeowner and you're talking pyrite !

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen84

dodzy wrote: »
    Ah FFS,

the OP has what is most likely a simple locking mech problem, in many cases easily fixed by the homeowner and you're talking pyrite !

excuse me? I mentioned it as I have worked in 4 houses that have had it. This was a problem with their doors! Obviously its a very small factor but I was right 4 times out of 4 after sending in the engineer.Since they reckon 20,000+ homes were affected between 2002-2007 there is still a chance. I mentioned it for 2 reasons....1 to knock it off the list if house wasnt built here and 2 because its fresh on my mind having corrected problems like this because of it.

As stated above, "Other than that it could be door hardware is knackered. Also twist is possible.

If its a new fittout then installer never leveled up the stile and head and frame is out of square. There may be adjusters on the locksets but it all depends"

Now if you would like to add advice or give direction be my guest but kindly refrain from coming on here insinuating im some sort of uneducated tool. I have my certificate and degree to back up my answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement