Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primed skirting board and architrave

• 30-03-2015 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Buying primed architrave etc for my new house - i presume this doesnt need undercoat as its already primed and just a clean and the finish colour will do ?

Finish will be satinwood

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

mickman wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Buying primed architrave etc for my new house - i presume this doesnt need undercoat as its already primed and just a clean and the finish colour will do ?

Finish will be satinwood

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

woodturner wrote: »
    Exactly.

cool thanks. just wanted confirmation. would it need one or two coats of the finish ? using colourtrends satinwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It would need an undercoat but as you are using satinwood, 2 coats serves the same purpose. Lightly sand between coats.

It would need an undercoat but as you are using satinwood, 2 coats serves the same purpose. Lightly sand between coats.

but why would it need an undercoat? Does primed not mean undercoated ? Plus if it needs an undercoat then id prefer one undercoat and one satinwood as the satinwood takes 8 hours to dry whereas the undercoat is 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The joinery I worked in always gave skirting and architrave two coats of primer. I couldn't see it needing undercoat to be honest. You can put on one coat of finish and see whether it will need another.

• Advertisement

woodturner wrote: »
    The joinery I worked in always gave skirting and architrave two coats of primer. I couldn't see it needing undercoat to be honest. You can put on one coat of finish and see whether it will need another.

sound , thanks

would they have sanded them well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

There's a big difference between primer and undercoat- primer seals the wood and ensures good adhesion of subsequent finishes. Undercoat has more "body" in it which will "fill" any surface imperfections, obliterate any grain variation etc and provides a perfect substrate for the top or finish coat IMO. I'd rather be applying one coat of the finish (Satinwood or Colortends equivalent) over a good undercoat rather than having to apply 2 coats of finish over a primer. Undercoat is easy to work with- goes on easy and is forgiving, plus you can rub down when dry to leave a perfect surface for the finish coat. Undercoat is considerably cheaper than Satinwood, so it can add up if you've a lot of painting to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Colortrend satinwood is mostly water based and will not cover with one coat over undercoat. Dulux oil based will.

Colortrend satinwood is mostly water based and will not cover with one coat over undercoat. Dulux oil based will.

yep you are correct . painted a piece of furniture at the weekend using it and while it was lovely paint - i needed 2 undercoat and 2 satinwood

Looks like there is no quick way out if it - will prob do 1 undercoat and two satinwood

so it looks like the ad i saw for the primed skirting saying " just one coat of finish needed and no undercoat" is rubbish :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Always reprime the preprime!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement