Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages of a Zombie Apocalypse

Options
  • 12-12-2014 8:55am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So people tend to focus on the cons of a zombie takeover, death of loved ones, collapse of civilisation etc etc. But there has to be a plus side somewhere.

I for one forsee an end to the potential energy crisis. Simply hook up some form of giant hamsterwheel/treadmill to a bank of batteries, install mandatory zombie, stand slightly in front of aforementioned zombie and bingo! A never ending supply of z-power. We might have to take shifts standing in front of the zombie though.

Any other positives that people can see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

So people tend to focus on the cons of a zombie takeover, death of loved ones, collapse of civilisation etc etc. But there has to be a plus side somewhere.

I for one forsee an end to the potential energy crisis. Simply hook up some form of giant hamsterwheel/treadmill to a bank of batteries, install mandatory zombie, stand slightly in front of aforementioned zombie and bingo! A never ending supply of z-power. We might have to take shifts standing in front of the zombie though.

Any other positives that people can see?

A lot of fat and stupid people will be gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

death and taxes

neither will exist properly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

pollution will be greatly reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In the longer term it could be a great thing for those that survive. The energy and resources crisis will pretty much disappear. As long as we can hold onto our scientific knowledge and some form of large collective, civilization could come back stronger and fairer than ever.

Every apocalypse that's ever happened has lead to an explosion of life afterwards, typically it's new species taking over the niche left by all the apex species that died, think the end of the dinosaurs making way for mammals. But the zombie apocalypse is specific to humans and more than likely won't eradicate humans. It would be something in line with the end of the last ice age or the fall of Rome. While both caused the downfall of civilization as people knew it at the time it opened up new possibilities and lead to rapid advancements as people got to try new ways of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yankdotcom

a collapse in government and hopefully it would mean an end to those pesky water charges

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

yankdotcom wrote: »
    a collapse in government and hopefully it would mean an end to those pesky water charges

I think you underestimate their resolve.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

yankdotcom wrote: »

I think you underestimate their resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

No need to worry about female rejection anymore..... In a zombie apocalypse the women wont be able to keep their hands off me!! Granted they will be all zombies but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Lots of camping, you get to root in other peoples houses and raid shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Once you have yourself Set up, it would be nice to have a quiet life out in the country (or on Lambay Island) where you live off the land. I definitly think it would be good for the soul.

• Advertisement

Oh also if you find some really high calorie foods like cake and chocolate, you get to eat them guilt free :)

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Oh also if you find some really high calorie foods like cake and chocolate, you get to eat them guilt free :)

Guilt free yes but don't forget that you would still need to stay reasonably fit in a Zombie Apocalypse.

Is it Zombieland where one of his rules in Cardio?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Hero777 wrote: »

It's Rule #1 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

There are numerous advantages I can immediately see:

I will quickly find out if I'm half as good with a katana as I think I am.

I'll get a chance to fortify a base and build all those cool traps I have floating about in my head but cannot build now cause I'd have cops knocking on my door wondering why there are trip wires all over the place and why the garden is now a pit of spikes.

No traffic, this would be a big plus. You'd also have your choice of cars/bikes, but get them early before other looters.

Looting, no one wants to say it but it looks like a bit of craic, aim would be to stockpile supplies early.

Access to firearms, while guns in Ireland are tightly controlled, you could luck out and come across an army convoy or base that was overrun, I'd be heading back to me holdout with as many AUGs and M2 as I could fit in the car!

Lawlessness, its you against the world, if you want to play Bandit, off you go, no police force is going to be chasing you down.

Finally, pants would be optional at all times. :D

Guilt free yes but don't forget that you would still need to stay reasonably fit in a Zombie Apocalypse.

Once you abandon the city and head out into the Irish countryside I don't think you'll absolutely need to have athlete like cardio. It's a huge advantage (as long as you can find enough fuel for your body to operate like that) but unlike the open plains and large expanses in America, Ireland is all sectioned out into small fields with ditches and dikes, barbed wire fences. In reality I think you'll only need to be fit enough to make your way across a field and climb a wall. Irish fields tend to have animals on them too, which means the ground is very uneven from cattle walking over it with their hoofs digging into the ground.

I suppose it all depends on the type of Zombie we expect to have in a ZA?

Slow - Lumbering around on broken bones like the Zombies of old
    Runners - Does exacly what it says on the tin
    Super Fast - no amount of fitness will help.

It always revolves around this point doesnt it! What sort of of zombie is it???..... Dont know about you guys but count me out of any apocalypse similar to 28 days later or dawn of the dead!

I think we would be at out bravest in a situation like the walking dead.

As much as we like to day dream. . . i just dont see the Irish population faring to well in an apocalypse. Unlike our American buddies there are virtually no guns, crossbows, body Armour, machetes and any other useful materials available to the general public.

Although our population is small and we do have the countryside in our favor as scumlord pointed out.

I suppose it all depends on the type of Zombie we expect to have in a ZA?

Slow - Lumbering around on broken bones like the Zombies of old
    Runners - Does exacly what it says on the tin
    Super Fast - no amount of fitness will help.
    Anything other than slow zombies is too far into the realms of fantasy for me. I've had many discussion on why they're physically impossible. I could accept that after infection and before the disease kills the person they could appear to have more strength and be faster, but doing that would rip the body to bits so you'd end up with slow moving zombies. I don't think there's any illness to date that gives a person superhuman strength.
    As much as we like to day dream. . . i just dont see the Irish population faring to well in an apocalypse. Unlike our American buddies there are virtually no guns, crossbows, body Armour, machetes and any other useful materials available to the general public.
    Could be a good thing though. Rather than shoot each other we'll have to work together.

The idea of the lone wolf is nonsense anyway, people don't tend to operate to well on their own, we're a pack animal and all our advantages come from operating as a pack. Bottom line is spending too much time on your own will literally drive you insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Unlike our American buddies there are virtually no ... body Armour
    I've a set of thick motorcycle leathers that I can move around in OK, while I wouldn't be wearing them all day every day, if I'm raiding a house/store, I'd gear up, lets see a zombie bite through that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No more hashtags.

#zombiesatemyfamily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Finally people would see how totally fricken useless 95% of governments actually are.

Still would not be recommended to stop in tallaght however....although the amount of burned out cars would reduce I guess.

No more kids packing your bags in the supermarkets and fuking it up while asking for a fiver for the privilege of putting loose bread and raw pork together

No more eircom hawking their crap on your door

An end to resident associations that talk about grass cuttings and where to put it

No more fat annoying people at the door looking for money for Africa or whatever social issue they think I should care about

No more talk of banks, developers or the housing crisis

No more climate change discussions

All the whiny caring liberals will disappear

Protecting yourself with firearms no longer seen as an issue

A fairly rough end to the down and out issue but an end no less

Finally people will realise the difference between money and currency, the latter used for emergency 'bowel issues'

An end to the need for gyms

Kids who survive will have the quiet gene

Finally people would see how totally fricken useless 95% of governments actually are.

Still would not be recommended to stop in tallaght however....although the amount of burned out cars would reduce I guess.

No more kids packing your bags in the supermarkets and fuking it up while asking for a fiver for the privilege of putting loose bread and raw pork together

No more eircom hawking their crap on your door

An end to resident associations that talk about grass cuttings and where to put it

No more fat annoying people at the door looking for money for Africa or whatever social issue they think I should care about

No more talk of banks, developers or the housing crisis

No more climate change discussions

All the whiny caring liberals will disappear

Protecting yourself with firearms no longer seen as an issue

A fairly rough end to the down and out issue but an end no less

Finally people will realise the difference between money and currency, the latter used for emergency 'bowel issues'

An end to the need for gyms

You would still have to govern your group unless your on your own which might be best for you.

You might prefer to meet a whiney caring liberal when the greedy conservative won't share their food with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

lmfao :D

I do have one more..

I, personally, will find it hilarious seeing the meat eating zombies who were previously vegans...

For double points the pre-vegan should now wear the 'meat is Murder' t-shirt as the stumble around..

Saralee4 wrote: »
    You would still have to govern your group unless your on your own which might be best for you.

You might prefer to meet a whiney caring liberal when the greedy conservative won't share their food with you.

Answers:
    That would be the 5%
    And to the second
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the best chance of creating an anarchist society which would be awesome in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The many thousands of euros and broken relationships that have gone into fortifying my Zombie proof shelter

images4D62DHGC.jpg

would finally be worth all the ridicule :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Free Cars!

• Advertisement

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    The many thousands of euros and broken relationships that have gone into fortifying my Zombie proof shelter

images4D62DHGC.jpg

would finally be worth all the ridicule :D

What?? Broken relationships. A zombie bunker is a deal breaker. When the zombies outbreak happens, who'll be laughing then!!

Good job it didn't work out in those relationships. Those women would only get you killed in a zombie attack haha :D

Advertisement