Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

treating Decking

• 26-03-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in a rented house and have been there for 3 years.
    There is decking in the back garden, I know nothing of how to look after it so I've never done anything to it in the time I've been living there.

However now is the time for a bit of a garden tidy up so I wondered what would be the best way to give the decking a bit of a makeover?

If it was my own house I'd just rip it up and put a patio down, I hate the stuff.
    It's slippery and the paint on it is faded so I'd like to paint it but what would I need to do first?
    Can I pressure wash it? And do I need to put anything on it before I paint it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

Pop in to a garden centre or a big paint shop and ask for Colourtrend Decking Cleaner. I discovered this a few months ago in a paint supplier (Colourtrend make paints so maybe that's why they had it).

You dilute it in water, wash it on to the decking, leave to work for a short while and scrub off with a deck scrub. It is the only effective way I have found of getting absolutely everything off the decking boards and leaving them without that slippery feel underfoot. Bleach will kill the algae that make it slippery but it won't make it any easier to clean, unlike the decking cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭whizbang

You can treat all the stuff under the sun, but in the end it still needs a damn good scrubbing. No other way around it.
    I found a bottle of the cheapest floor cleaner is as good as anything else.

But pressure wash will help.

Then after a few dry days, use a wood restorer/preservative. Don't use ronsh**.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

whizbang wrote:
    Then after a few dry days, use a wood restorer/preservative. Don't use ronsh**.

What wood restorer did you use ive a pain in the ass with ronseal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Thanks guys, that's my bank holiday weekend task sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭whizbang

Not sure exactly what i have been most happy with, I know it was Cuprinol product.

Goes on like milk, soaks in easily, brings out a rich wood colouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

whizbang wrote: »
    Not sure exactly what i have been most happy with, I know it was Cuprinol product.

Goes on like milk, soaks in easily, brings out a rich wood colouring.

Thanks, I'll check out their range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

A good power washing will take all the muck off, maybe a quick sandpaper to smooth down any of the hairy bits of wood that curl up with exposure to the weather. Then apply a coat of sand and seal. Finish off with a stain or decking preservative. Don't put any glossy or varnish type products on it or you will be off to A&E after the first shower of rain!!

Advertisement