Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Electrics (Wire) while drilling a Concrete Wall

Options
  • 25-03-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

A few questions some of which I think I know the answers to.

I am looking to mount a TV on a concrete wall.

I have a double socket in the middle of the wall - would I be right to assume the feeder wire runs vertically up to the ceiling?

I assume the only way to be sure is to get a wire detector and mark it out.

And assuming the wire is there how far each side of it should I leave to ensure I avoid hitting it - I would imagine there is some error margin in the detectors?

Am I better off getting a sparky to do this for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The detectors are fairly bang on. How do you know the cable doesn't run up from the floor? Don't know if I should suggest it I'll probably get a bollocking for suggesting this but I'd unscrew the socket and take a look where the cable comes in to the socket. You could switch the power off before doing that to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

With stuff like this you should never assume anything especially if you are not the first owner of the house. There's always the possibility that a diy warrior brought the cable horizontally across the wall or even diagonally. You always need to be 100 percent certain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I'd suggest that you open the socket to see where the cable runs..

If you are looking to mount a TV on the wall I assume that you want to have the coax socket for aerial and also power behind the TV rather than having trailing wires?

Where you will need to install an extra socket you will need to get an electrician to do it these days, you could move the coax yourself but overall I'd suggest getting an electrician (once you have done the initial investigation to see which way the cable comes into the socket underneath).

If you want to move the socket and coax, or put in extras you are looking at either trunking on the wall or chasing the wall and replastering/repainting once the electrician is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you open the socket to see where the cable runs..

If you are looking to mount a TV on the wall I assume that you want to have the coax socket for aerial and also power behind the TV rather than having trailing wires?

Where you will need to install an extra socket you will need to get an electrician to do it these days, you could move the coax yourself but overall I'd suggest getting an electrician (once you have done the initial investigation to see which way the cable comes into the socket underneath).

If you want to move the socket and coax, or put in extras you are looking at either trunking on the wall or chasing the wall and replastering/repainting once the electrician is finished.

Thanks, budget doesnt stretch to moving sockets and such right now, the detector worked a treat and I safely avoided electrics (and coax).

I'll be running cables horizontally (prob in a simple painted conduit) to the nearest wall and then downward to be hidden behind a media unit - we may move/conceal in the future but this approach is not that bad and saves is a little money for now.

Advertisement