Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting into motorsport

• 16-12-2013 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone, im just looking for some info but im looking to get into motorsport. Im 25 and sitting my licence in mondello in the new year. My biggest question is with the cost of the cars and such is there people/teams out there that rent out their cars? I know the formula vee is about 6-8 grand for a car alone. Its a lot of money to pay so thought id ask do teams rent out their cars rather than having to buy your own.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You can rent a Formula Vee or Sheane but in the long run it will cost you more money ultimately.

You could be on the Fiesta grid for 3 grand, and not a whole lot more tonget on the ITCC grid.

The expensive bit comes when you have to run the car - entry fees, tyres etc all add up to a big amount over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ctrlalthelp

Single seater is the type of racing im interested in and i think formula vee has to be done before sheane is it? How much is it to rent out over the year with cost of running etc.? A rough estimate, sorry for all the questions just looking for info

No, you can go straight into any of the classes as far as I'm aware.

Probably looking at €600-800 a weekend to rent a single seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ctrlalthelp

No, you can go straight into any of the classes as far as I'm aware.

Probably looking at €600-800 a weekend to rent a single seater.

Thats great information thanks very much just one last question. What prizes are available in these?

Bar a trophy, and some pride, not a whole lot.

There's no financial prize that I know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Formula Vee is the cheapest single seater racing you can get. I'm going racing Vees next year. Already have a car bought and did a half days testing in October.

For all racing you are going to need the licence and the race wear. The racewear is about a grand in total if you buy new gear.

Vees can be bought from €3000. There are a few for sale on the Formula Vee Website. You can hire a car but you will need a large damage deposit and if you are going racing regularly I would advise buying a car.

There are a few guys that will rent, run and set up the cars for you. Join the facebook group and the guys will answer any questions you have.

Other costs to consider:
    Race Entry Fees,
    Tyres,
    Oil and other fluids,
    Transport costs to races up North,
    Parts,
    Damage repairs,
    Testing costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'm probably like a broken record saying this but, do up a budget sheet and figure out how much you can afford on an ongoing basis for the season.

Karting, autocross and grass racing offer good thrills for small(ish) money too. Karting can be a good option for a series of reasons, one of which being ease of storage and transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AvantiSport

recyclebin wrote: »
    Formula Vee is the cheapest single seater racing you can get. I'm going racing Vees next year. Already have a car bought and did a half days testing in October.

For all racing you are going to need the licence and the race wear. The racewear is about a grand in total if you buy new gear.

Vees can be bought from €3000. There are a few for sale on the Formula Vee Website. You can hire a car but you will need a large damage deposit and if you are going racing regularly I would advise buying a car.

There are a few guys that will rent, run and set up the cars for you. Join the facebook group and the guys will answer any questions you have.

Other costs to consider:
    Race Entry Fees,
    Tyres,
    Oil and other fluids,
    Transport costs to races up North,
    Parts,
    Damage repairs,
    Testing costs.

There is a very healthy Formula Vee page on facebook.com/FormulaVeeIreland.

Also, I've attached the Formula Vee Starter Booklet which contains a lot of good and current information.

2014 sees Finol Oils come onboard as sponsor of the Finol Oils Star of Tomorrow Championship (http://finol.ie/finol-star-tomorrow-championship/). Basically this is a championship that is open to rookie racers with the 2014 winner receiving a test and race in the Suzuki GSXR 1000 powered Leastone Formula 5 which is a highly competitive slicks and wings singleseater.

By all accounts, Formula Vee appears to be shaping up for a pretty good 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement