Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

18910111214»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent interview above.

Also an excellent finale and their twisted brutal romance ended perfectly in a dark embracing dive into the sea. Focusing this finale so much on the Will / Hannibal relationship was exactly what was needed - their twisted feelings for one another.

It's a damn shame it's over as Fuller seems to have had some interesting ideas for a fourth season but, in ending this way, it at least went out on a high. A bigger concern would be how future TV shows will play it safer than Hannibal but hopefully if anyone wants to make an "artsy fartsy" show (Fuller's own description at times!), they'll go to the more accepting world of cable.

Hannibal - I'll miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hannibal season 4 didn't happen because of illegal downloads
    Hannibal ended in part because of online piracy, an executive producer on the show claims.

The psychological thriller series starring Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen ended after three seasons on NBC, and Martha De Laurentiis blames torrents and the people who illegally downloaded.

In an open letter on The Hill, De Laurentiis said "one third" of Hannibal viewers used pirated sites.

"When NBC decided not to renew Hannibal for a fourth season, it wasn't much of a leap to connect its fate with the fact that the show was ranked as the fifth-most illegally downloaded show in 2013," she wrote.

"When nearly one third of the audience for Hannibal is coming from pirated sites - despite the fact that a legitimate download for each episode was available the following day - you don't have to know calculus to do the math. If a show is stolen, it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to fairly compensate a crew and keep a series in production.

"Did pirates kill Hannibal? Unfortunately, that is a cliffhanger that might last for a while.

"With more than 2 million viewers watching our show illegally, it's hard not to think online pirates were, at the very least, partly responsible for hundreds of crew members losing their jobs and millions of fans - who watched the show legitimately - mourning the loss of a beloved program."

Last year, creator Bryan Fuller shared that De Laurentiis was working on securing funding for a potential movie follow-up. But he also said the chances of Hannibal coming back in any form are "less than 50/50".

http://http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/hannibal/news/a787246/hannibal-season-4-didnt-happen-because-of-illegal-downloads/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I read that yesterday. Not sure it makes total sense though. It was a very niche show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is he blaming US based downloaders, or..?

Being a niche show probably means it relies more on advertising than a normal Primetime show with 5 to 20 million viewers and if people aren't viewing it on normal channels advertisers are less likely to buy ad time on it would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It was a very niche show with some faults, GF and I loved watching it but the 3rd season spent so much time on experimental and abstract shots that it killed momentum.

I normally liked the show for that but they put too much emphasis on it on the start of the 3rd season and it slowed the pace of the show to an absolute crawl.

Still, Mads Mikkelsen absolutely killed it as Hannibal, my favourite interpretation of the character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It was a very niche show with some faults, GF and I loved watching it but the 3rd season spent so much time on experimental and abstract shots that it killed momentum.

I normally liked the show for that but they put too much emphasis on it on the start of the 3rd season and it slowed the pace of the show to an absolute crawl.

Still, Mads Mikkelsen absolutely killed it as Hannibal, my favourite interpretation of the character.

absolutely gave up on teh show becuase of that and still havn't watched it all

Is he blaming US based downloaders, or..?
    Exactly. Of those downloaders, how many could actually have watched it in the US - even on the show's site - and contributed to ratings?

• Advertisement

A year on from NBC dropping Hannibal at the end of its third season, showrunner Bryan Fuller says the door is far from closed on revisiting the series.

"The cast is game, I'm game, it's just a matter of finding the right time where everybody's schedules sync up, but I would love to continue to tell the story with Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen."

Bryan Fuller went on to say: "They're such fantastic collaborators, and one of the most satisfying actor-showrunner relationships I've ever had in this industry. So I would love to continue this story."

The writer also clarified that talk of a Hannibal revival can officially begin once "two years" pass from its 2015 series finale date.

"August 2017 is when we can actually start talking about it," he teased. "That's when we would have to see what the rights are for the character and for the story, and see who's interested and how we get it done.

"I have the story, and the cast is excited for the story, so we're ready to go if somebody wants to go."

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/hannibal/news/a798949/bryan-fuller-game-for-hannibal-season-4/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Interesting, as I was certain I heard them say that was officially it for the show at the time.

The 3rd season went a bit too off-the-wall for me with so many episodes spent on abstract shots and slow story progression (until we got to Red Dragon) to Dr. Alana Bloom turning into a femme fatale lesbian parent after her bump on the noggin.

Still, Mads killed it as Hannibal and would welcome more of him as that character.

Bryan Fuller Reveals How ‘Hannibal’ Could Continue In a Potential Fourth Season

Fuller hopes to tackle "The Silence of the Lambs" once the rights revert back.
    Fans of NBC’s cancelled-but-not-forgotten series “Hannibal,” about the relationship between FBI special investigator Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and forensic psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen), continue to clamor for information about the series’ potential continuation. Now, on an episode of the Shock Waves podcast, the hosts interview Fuller and he discusses the series as well as where it could go in the future.

Fuller confirms that he didn’t know the final episode of the third season would be the series finale. (Spoilers for those who have not seen it.) “There weren’t going to be any bodies found floating in that lagoon,” he explained. “And the whole point of showing Gillian Anderson sitting at a table with two additional place settings and her leg on the table was there was a big splash and dinner guests are coming.”

Though the series covered the events in the Thomas Harris novels “Red Dragon” and “Hannibal,” Fuller couldn’t get the rights to his novel “The Silence of the Lambs,” which was tied up in the owners that produced Jonathan Demme’s 1991 feature film. Fuller said that he “still [hopes] that something can be worked out.” “I think the film adaptation is a perfect film,” he says, “but there’s a lot of interesting nooks and crannies to explore in a television series. I hope we get to tell the story.”

Fuller also explained how he and executive producer Martha De Laurentiis have talked about bringing the series back, especially since the rights to “Silence” revert back in August, 2017. “I think, ideally for the cast, it would be as a mini-series, here and there. Let’s do 6 to 8 episodes of that, and 6 to 8 episodes over here. And do it as an irregular thing.”

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/bryan-fuller-hannibal-season-4-hugh-dancy-mads-mikkelsen-1201761985/

Excellent idea - occasional high-quality mini-series. As proof of my devotion to the series, here's one of the things I got for Christmas:

413iKjEczQL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of the smartest ideas for tie-in merchandise that I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bryan Fuller Reveals How ‘Hannibal’ Could Continue In a Potential Fourth Season

Fuller hopes to tackle "The Silence of the Lambs" once the rights revert back.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/bryan-fuller-hannibal-season-4-hugh-dancy-mads-mikkelsen-1201761985/

I'd worry he'd not get very far with 8 episodes it took him so long to get to red dragon from Hannibal in season 3. What the last 3 episodes would feature Slience of the Lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He knew it was their last season,otherwise...

• Advertisement

Now that 2 years have lapsed since the third season finale, talks about a revival (season 4) have officially begun.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/895111611127521280

Mr E wrote: »
    Now that 2 years have lapsed since the third season finale, talks about a revival (season 4) have officially begun.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/895111611127521280

let it be a movie, really season 3 does make me want to see this series again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Elmo wrote: »
    let it be a movie, really season 3 does make me want to see this series again.
    I agree season 1 was good. Season 2 was brilliant. Season 3 was just too arty farty for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Let it be a series. Yes, it over indulges itself, but, that's the point, it's what Lector is really about, indulgence of what he wants and working out the morality later.

astrofool wrote: »
    Let it be a series. Yes, it over indulges itself, but, that's the point, it's what Lector is really about, indulgence of what he wants and working out the morality later.

there is over indulgence and there is boredom, season three was boring. It didn't move the story along in any significant way. I don't even remember if Hannibal got to get the toothfairy to go after Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

I agree, the first half of season three was a lot of filler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Pity they couldn’t have followed it on with this rather than going back to the 10 years between SOTL and Hannibal.

I am guessing it will just be another CBS crime by numbers series -

an executive producer on CBS’ Hawaii Five-0

Expect several seasons, is there any hope for Picard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Elmo wrote: »
    Pity they couldn’t have followed it on with this rather than going back to the 10 years between SOTL and Hannibal.

I am guessing it will just be another CBS crime by numbers series -

an executive producer on CBS’ Hawaii Five-0

Expect several seasons, is there any hope for Picard?

At least Picard is reviving a character that's been dormant for quite awhile.

Crap, I didn't notice this was being brought to us by Hawaii 50 producers. Bryan Fuller was so passionate about his plans for Clarice; what a shame we'll never get to see it.

Advertisement