Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing courses - fee costs - help please

Options
  • 25-08-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Niece of mine (elegible for grant ) attended year 1 UCD course level 8 (social Science) - didnt like course , but completed and passed exams , applied for different year 1 course maynooth , has been told that now liable for course fee year 1 ,( law & Arts I think ) which neither she or parents have ( unemployed ) , -

is there anything she can do or go for help wtih this , would susi consider covering her for this year and next 2 and she pay the final year when she might be in more of position to pay for same , otherwsie she might drop out , and and all advise welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alannahnicole

Unfortunately SUSI don't pay for a year you have completed or if you were going down in the level of your course. A friend of mine did a level 6 and went to do a level 5 this year but susi said as she is not advancing in studies she cannot receive fees or grant. Silly I know but these are the rules. I don't think there are many if any options to get help. Maybe get a student loan, doesn't have to be paid back until you start earning. She will get the grant for 2nd year and 3rd if she continues. Sorry this isn't the news you want to hear but I wish you well

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Thanks in regard to loan would you know if easy to get and what conditions if any

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alannahnicole

rilly99 wrote:
    Thanks in regard to loan would you know if easy to get and what conditions if any

All banks do them they relatively easy to get if you get about 3/4 grand only. Just go in with your niece and talk to them go to all banks and get the best rates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Make sure she will get the grants for years 2 thru 4.

Also a bank may also look highly on a loan for a course where there's a good chance of a job at the end of it?

Advertisement