Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!! College Fees

• 19-08-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭

Need help.

Right I did a higher cert level 6 for 2 years but failed second year this year. I applied for a course in WIT on the CAO, so I'm starting again, Got my course offer yesterday which I'm delighted about but Someone said to me that I will have to pay full fees plus the student contribution fees of 3000 this year.. Now I know I have to pay the 3000 but do I have to pay the full fees if in a way I'm progressing onto a Level 7? Please help as it will decide if i go to college or not :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

Did you get a susi grant previously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Did you get a susi grant previously?

No never qualified for it. Parents income is over it. I'm 21 btw

I only noticed that you are progressing to a level 7. I would contact Susi Grant to see if you are eligible for a grant.

Also I think you could apply for the Back to Education allowance if I'm right...

Are you independent of your parents, or dependent?

If dependent, you should apply for the Back to Education allowance.
    If independent, you should qualify for a grant, but contact Susi just to be on the safe side.

I only noticed that you are progressing to a level 7. I would contact Susi Grant to see if you are eligible for a grant.

Also I think you could apply for the Back to Education allowance if I'm right...

I'm 21, so back to education I wont be able to and I wont qualify for a grant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

6. Subject to compliance with the other conditions of the Free Fees initiative, students who have previously pursued but have not completed a course of third level study and subsequently resume third level studies:
    A) may be deemed eligible for free fees where the third level course concerned did not attract any exchequer funding (e.g. fees, maintenance, tax relief, subsidy towards course cost)
    B) are not eligible for free fees for the equivalent period of time spent on the first course of study where the third level course concerned did attract exchequer funding (as above). Part-time and evening students are included in this category.

You'll have to pay full fees for your first two years in WIT.

I'd contact WIT if I were you, I imagine they'll be able to organise a payment plan for you. Afaik you won't have to have it paid for until January. Don't rush into a decision on whether you'll attend or not so quickly, although I understand your financial situation is very stressful and may make your attendance impossible.

O dear 😳 well that's my dreams gone out the window :( thanks everyone

O dear 😳 well that's my dreams gone out the window :( thanks everyone

Could you try to work for a year to fund the fees for your next two years? I know it's not ideal but it's not necessarily the end of your dreams. I had to take a year out this year for reasons that would be completely different to yours, and am going back in two weeks. Missing a year really is no big deal. In my case I think it helped me a huge amount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Could you try to work for a year to fund the fees for your next two years? I know it's not ideal but it's not necessarily the end of your dreams. I had to take a year out this year for reasons that would be completely different to yours, and am going back in two weeks. Missing a year really is no big deal. In my case I think it helped me a huge amount.

Agreed if op can take a year or two out, work and save a little college would be more affordable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Student loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you take a 5 year break fro all studies you may qualify as a second chance student, otherwise you will have to pay for year 1 and 2 of any undergraduate course.

Is there any chance you can advance into year 2 of your course based on study already attained, thus reducing the time you have to pay without a grant?

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. yes I do have to pay fees but turns out ITs level 7 courses fees only about 500-700 euros for the year. I was expecting 5000/6000 per year

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. yes I do have to pay fees but turns out ITs level 7 courses fees only about 500-700 euros for the year. I was expecting 5000/6000 per year

Which college is that cheap? Are you sure that's not the student contribution part of the fees.

Sup08 wrote: »
    Which college is that cheap? Are you sure that's not the student contribution part of the fees.

No its not I rang WIT yesterday and thats what the fee office told me. seemly all ITs are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I think I'd ring back and speak to someone else just to double check. That really doesn't sound right. I've had friends who've repeated in ITs and it wasn't that cheap, unless things have changed a lot. Better to double check now instead of being stuck with a bill in a few weeks. Good luck :)

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I think I'd ring back and speak to someone else just to double check. That really doesn't sound right. I've had friends who've repeated in ITs and it wasn't that cheap, unless things have changed a lot. Better to double check now instead of being stuck with a bill in a few weeks. Good luck :)[/QUOTE

I'm going to the college on Monday. Thats what she told me. She was from the fees department. Said it was because student contribution fees were going up so tuition fees were going down. I hope she wasn't telling me lies, I'd hate too them so much because of it

I just had a look at the website and it mentioned a couple of hundred per 5 credit module. If you're happy to wait great, but I'd be phoning again just to put my mind at ease over the weekend. Hope it goes well for you :)

I'm going to the college on Monday. Thats what she told me. She was from the fees department. Said it was because student contribution fees were going up so tuition fees were going down. I hope she wasn't telling me lies, I'd hate too them so much because of it

If the tuition fees are going down because the contribution is going up then that would make the course €3,700 (€3000 Student Contribution and €700 Tuition Fees). As stated above, I would definitely call to confirm what the total bill for a student repeating a year already attained would be.

If the tuition fees are going down because the contribution is going up then that would make the course €4,200 (€3500 Student Contribution and €700 Tuition Fees). As stated above, I would definitely call to confirm what the total bill for a student repeating a year already attained would be.

SC is 3000, not 3500!lol

I'm not repeating a year, I'm starting a new course in a new college. I will be checking monday, best to go into about it.

• Advertisement

SC is 3000, not 3500!lol

I'm not repeating a year, I'm starting a new course in a new college. I will be checking monday, best to go into about it.

Well then 3000 + 700 is in fact €3,700 and not €700 LOL

Best of luck with the new course for 700 LOL!!

You're not repeating the year of the course but you are repeating a first year. You get first year paid for once, after that you pay fees. If I did the first 3 years of a course, I'd have to pay myself for the first 3 years of a different course if I dropped out.

I think I'd ring back and speak to someone else just to double check. That really doesn't sound right. I've had friends who've repeated in ITs and it wasn't that cheap, unless things have changed a lot. Better to double check now instead of being stuck with a bill in a few weeks. Good luck :)

Possibly because they did a level 8?

Possibly because they did a level 8?

Nah it was a level 6 or 7. Whichever a higher cert is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah

So basically

You would be paying student contribution of 3000 PLUS your fee of 500 to 700. So your total fee is 3500 to 3700.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

Guys if you did a level 7 course and received a grant. And then 4 years later applied to do a level 8 course as a mature student, are you entitled to apply for a grant again or no??

Tanya234 wrote: »
    Guys if you did a level 7 course and received a grant. And then 4 years later applied to do a level 8 course as a mature student, are you entitled to apply for a grant again or no??

Yes. You can do a maximum of 4 years between levels 6 and 7 then a further 4 years at level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tanya234

Yes. You can do a maximum of 4 years between levels 6 and 7 then a further 4 years at level 8.

Great thanks :)

OP, consider taking out a student loan. You can possibly negotiate it so that you can wait a certain amount of time before making repayments. Then get a part time job. Given that you're living at home and not paying rent, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay back your loans easily!

• Advertisement

OP, consider taking out a student loan. You can possibly negotiate it so that you can wait a certain amount of time before making repayments. Then get a part time job. Given that you're living at home and not paying rent, you'll likely have earned more than enough to pay back your loans easily!

I'm not living at home. I work full time all summer with two jobs and rent a house.It was the fees I was worried about, because I thought they could have been 5000/6000 plus PLUS the contribution.:confused:

I've confused myself here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

From doing a little basic research, a level 8 degree that isn't music or nursing costs €819 +€3000 student contribution, meaning the total amount for the course would be €3819 plus student levy. So 700 for a Level 6/7 would make sense. Still super cheap as I'm going to be 4,500 each year for 2 years when I do my teaching degree in MU.

Advertisement