Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay aid

Options
  • 15-09-2006 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello

After unsuccesfully looking for a decent left handed strat in Cork (man, so many shops and just on cheap Squier?), I've decided to try the ebay way (sounds cool, uh?). But I've absolutely no clue about it! The only ebay I've found with good offers is the US one, of course, but unfortunately most of the sellers won't ship overseas. Does anyone know about the taxes that would apply? I've been told that the seller may post it as a gift declaring less a smaller value than the real one, is it safe to do this? Could I get in problems?

Ok that's enough for now, it's alot of questions, I'd be terribly grateful for some useful answers!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Declaring it as a gift won't work. Putting a lower value on it is illegal, so if you choose to do that, you may or may not get away with it, it's your call.

If you're still undecided about what guitar to get, have a look here

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

and do a search for Fender Japan, Bacchus and Edwards

The Japanese strats are pro quality, make no mistake, but don't carry the price tag that comes with a "Made in USA" sticker.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

These guys do an address forwarding service for items bought from suppliers that only deliver within the US. I think it's only about €10 for a year plus delivery charges. Although you'll probably still have to pay charges but it could still be well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭les-paul

Are you guys serious? Yo really really shocked me! Fender Japan? I never heard much about them. Are you REALLY saying that they're comparable to Americans? Where do the parts come from? Japan, or some other, darker Asian country?

Oh and for the guy asking about the budget, my roof would 700-800 euro, plus shipping.

And could anyone who has bought some gear from overseas tell me about the taxes they're charged?

Thanks again to everyone!

No, they're not comparable. They're better :D Import tax is roughly 25% of the article you bought plus the shipping cost. The components are made in Japan from the finest of woods. Seriously, do not confuse Japan with cheap mass produced Korea. Infinitely better guitars from Japan. I think the majority of people on this board including two or three of the moderators have bought a Japanese made guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Or at the very least most of this board will consider a Fender Japan guitar as their next purchase.

True

OK, I've been doing some reading on the web. The Japan guitars you're talking about are meant to be exported or are among the ones intended for being sold in Japan? From what I understood thelast ones are of much better quality, is that right? Excuseme if I'm wrong, this whole business is new to me, I thought the only good thing Japanese did was sushi and anime!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Fender Jap player here, the craftmanship and playability are both stunning. You won't be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Any guitar I've ever played made in Japan has been of stunning quality. And they've all been Gretsches, made by Fender Japan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

les-paul wrote:
    Are you REALLY saying that they're comparable to Americans?

Yes.
    les-paul wrote:
    Where do the parts come from? Japan, or some other, darker Asian country?

You'll often find the parts are the same ones used in USA made instruments. Pickups for example, a lot of Fender Japan Strats have Texas Specials.

OK, now, where do you buy those guitars? In the Ishabishi site? I don´t think I´d feel very comfortable buying stuff from a machine translated page. Is that the only way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Email them, they speak decent English

Advertisement