Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining Roganstown these days?

• 30-08-2015 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Got to move back to Dublin shortly and wondered what's Roganstown like these days?

I've played it several times so know the layout very well. Just a few questions:

I believe they've more members these days how difficult is it getting out at 8 to 8:30am on a Saturday and Sunday?
    Equally at this time how long is a round? It's a long track so I presume a four hour round isn't achievable?
    €5 a comp?
    Owners still treating the members ok? They've members time Saturday 8-12 and Sunday 8-10 still?

I know in winter they never use temp greens or mats but it does close or open quite late during the day when it's frosty weather. I know they always play 18 hole comps in the winter but reckon I'd fancy nipping off after 11 holes, that's enough in poor weather!

Generally I want to get out early on the weekend and be back home by 1/1.30pm.

All in all its a tidy little course from what I remember, nothing flash but always very playable. It's quite open, long so challenging but yet very scorable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Been a member there since it opened (although my handicap is at portmarnock Links)

Played it 3 times recently and its in great shape, it has really grown up well.

Some recent changes will add even more value, they have or are about to join with Swords Open, so membership will be for 36 holes.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I regularly play between 8-9am on a Saturday. Never a bother getting out. Course is in great shap all year round. Typical Saturday morning round is 4 to 4:15hrs. With the merger with Swirds open pending it's great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

No problem getting a tee time, that's great to hear. It is on the upper end of memberships in the area so not suprised it's mega busy given golf members in general are on the decline.

I presume the earlier you get out the great the chance of a 4 hour round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Plenty of early tee times in the summer. Course is in great condition.
    You get the membership of the pool and gym if you pay your subs up front.
    Now u will also have 5 day membership of swords open.
    Think subs are 1299 for next year.
    They also do cash back if you introduce new members so drop us a pm and we get that back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

So whats the story with both clubs joining together?

Does it mean the Swords members get playing rights on Roganstown too?

I was talking to some of the Roganstown members on Thursday and they weren't happy, they were thinking of joining our club and checking out prices. But they weren't really sure what the new arrangement meant for Roganstown.

It could be a great deal if your a member of Swords as two great course for the price of one.

Also what do you mean by Members time 8-12 on Saturday? Can members not play when they like!

Memberships are up on average across most clubs in North Dublin this year (first year that most didn't have a decline). I reckon it will only be a two or three years before we see entrance fee's coming back. We are expecting 80 new members (41 have already signed up) next year and some clubs have already grown by a huge number this year. I also expect to see one or two clubs go out of business in North Dublin due to their debt mountain and that will be a pity but I expect they will come back under new ownership. You might see some great pricing over the next few months but these prices can't stay that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

The new joint venture will see both Clubs operating out of Roganstown clubshouse. Swords 1st Hole will be the old 17th. There are a few new membership options for members of both clubs....
    7 Day Swords 5 Day Roganstown is 1050 (850 Senior). Leisure €100 per year
    7 Day Roganstown 5 Day Swords is 1299 (850 under 30,1000 Senior). Leisure Included.

Swords are keeping their €300 pay and play , but bumping the weekend rate to 17 from 15. I get the impression they are trying to encourage people off this , but it suits a lot of people , myself included as I only get out around 30 times per year.

The new joint venture will see both Clubs operating out of Roganstown clubshouse. Swords 1st Hole will be the old 17th. There are a few new membership options for members of both clubs....
    7 Day Swords 5 Day Roganstown is 1050 (850 Senior). Leisure €100 per year
    7 Day Roganstown 5 Day Swords is 1299 (850 under 30,1000 Senior). Leisure Included.

Swords are keeping their €300 pay and play , but bumping the weekend rate to 17 from 15. I get the impression they are trying to encourage people off this , but it suits a lot of people , myself included as I only get out around 30 times per year.

The Pay & Play was always very popular, but I'm not sure if you can run a club at a profit on it. Great value for 30 rounds a year at €810 which is €27 per round at weekend.

Kind of makes sense to share one club-house but I can see how some members would be upset. Swords Open wasn't really a clubhouse and most people didn't use it and Roganstown clubhouse has the space.

You think the €1299 would give you 7 days on both courses, but I'm sure most people would be happy enough to play Roganstown at the weekends.

Thanks for the info.

Will it really affect roganstown members that much? I reckon the current members of swords are much like the poster who can only play 10-30 times per but want to be pretty much be guaranteed a tee time so joining for €300 getting a handicap and playing occasionally will still be much better value. Paying €1300 wouldn't make any sense, however they might be tempted by 7 days swords membership however they won't be able to play Roganstown at weekends when the bulk of it's members play.

€300 + (30 x 17) €510 = €810. However you have to bear in mind many in this category either don't want to play in the winter/bad weather or simply can't due to family commitments so more than likely won't even play 20 full rounds.

If I joined Roganstown I'd never really play swords open. This is a push for swords members to join Rogsnstown but in truth I doubt the uptake will be that significant.

Will it really affect roganstown members that much? I reckon the current members of swords are much like the poster who can only play 10-30 times per but want to be pretty much be guaranteed a tee time so joining for €300 getting a handicap and playing occasionally will still be much better value. Paying €1300 wouldn't make any sense, however they might be tempted by 7 days swords membership however they won't be able to play Roganstown at weekends when the bulk of it's members play.

€300 + (30 x 17) €510 = €810. However you have to bear in mind many in this category either don't want to play in the winter/bad weather or simply can't due to family commitments so more than likely won't even play 20 full rounds.

If I joined Roganstown I'd never really play swords open. This is a push for swords members to join Rogsnstown but in truth I doubt the uptake will be that significant.

I'm not sure if we are making the same point, but I can see people from Roganstown GC being upset at having to share the clubhouse with the same member only paying €300 per year at Swords. They will also be sharing the same pro-shop, car park etc.

But the positive is you might gain new business through the club-house to pay for it and new members interest in the 5 days at Roganstown and Swords at the weekend. Remember Roganstown/Swords is a business first and needs to make a profit for it's owners.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if we are making the same point, but I can see people from Roganstown GC being upset at having to share the clubhouse with the same member only paying €300 per year at Swords. They will also be sharing the same pro-shop, car park etc.

But the positive is you might gain new business through the club-house to pay for it and new members interest in the 5 days at Roganstown and Swords at the weekend. Remember Roganstown/Swords is a business first and needs to make a profit for it's owners.

Yes we are making the same point! However I doubt the Roganstown members will be bothered about sharing the clubhouse as they never really use it. Roganstown from what I can gather have a car park membership, people come to solely to play golf not have drinks or food after which suits someone like myself down to the ground. I want to get out good and early every week (sometimes twice a weekend if I can get away with it!) and finish be home by 1pm.

Mike I'll certainly refer you should I get round to joining, happy to help out in anyway I can.

Another question how easy is it to get out in the evenings? I heard you have to always go in and check in with the shop which is a bit of a pain when you just want to nip out for a couple of holes. Apparently the owners are quite particular about certain stuff..

• Advertisement

Yes we are making the same point! However I doubt the Roganstown members will be bothered about sharing the clubhouse as they never really use it. Roganstown from what I can gather have a car park membership, people come to solely to play golf not have drinks or food after which suits someone like myself down to the ground. I want to get out good and early every week (sometimes twice a weekend if I can get away with it!) and finish be home by 1pm.

Mike I'll certainly refer you should I get round to joining, happy to help out in anyway I can.

Another question how easy is it to get out in the evenings? I heard you have to always go in and check in with the shop which is a bit of a pain when you just want to nip out for a couple of holes. Apparently the owners are quite particular about certain stuff..

Always quite in the evening, all u have to do is give the club house a ring to let them know u are heading out. Think it will have very little effect on the roganstown members.

Thats fair enough I thought the process involved always having to go into the shop and informing them when all you want to do is nip out for a quick 3 holes, I don't mind calling in advance.

The real advantage of the course is how dry in the winter it stays. Provided I can get out at 8:15 and roughly finish at 12:15 home by 12:45 I'll keep myself and everyone else happy.

Sorry lads another question!

Someone told me that if you want to play Saturday 8-10 and Sunday 8-12 in the members times you have to play in the competition is that correct? I.e. You can't go out in these times and just have a social/non competitive round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Someone told me that if you want to play Saturday 8-10 and Sunday 8-12 in the members times you have to play in the competition is that correct? I.e. You can't go out in these times and just have a social/non competitive round?

I can't speak for Roganstown but that's the case for every other club I know. It's members competition time.

I can't speak for Roganstown either, but we would have members that would play the main 18 during comps times, but not enter them. Ie. they have 4 ball that plays the same time each week but don't enter the comp.

But we don't have members times either as the course is open to members for comps from 7 to 3:30 at peak summer and then afterwards without the comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Being given access to Swords Open when you've just joined Roganstown is a bit like being given a free eraser when you've just bought a pen.

Correct those are the comp times at the weekends.

Advertisement