Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick southern ring road phase 2

• 13-11-2006 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but.. The Rossbrien interchange is inadequate for the simple reason being, that there is no access from the N18 (Galway/Shannon roads to get onto the N21/N20 Cork road and to a lesser extent from the N7 Dublin bound onto the Childers road. This means that this extra traffic WILL still have to use the old roads or go through the suburbs to get back onto the Bypass to continue the journey???.... The Childers access is not as important or really vital as there are a many interchanges that have direct access to the Childers road anyway.

What baffles me, is the fact this road is part of Atlantic corridor that connects all the major towns from Waterford to Donegal, and it's not possible for nothern traffic continue on southwards to say Cork or Tralee. This interchange should be fully cloverleaf IMO. so that all east west, north and south can be free flowing.

Other than this, glad to see on of the major sections of the Atlantic corridor finally starting, and the opening of the Ennis bypass at the start of next month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ennis bypass next month? well,surely not all of it...it looks way from being complete as of now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

corktina wrote:
    ennis bypass next month? well,surely not all of it...it looks way from being complete as of now......

Your probably right... Mainline as of now... is nearly finshed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

but where does it connect into the existing roads...the north south and intermediate junctions are nowhere near finished.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

Section 1 - Opening 4 Months Early
    The N18 Eastern Bypass will open to traffic just before Christmas. This opening is 4 months ahead of schedule.

This new section will provide relief for vehicles from Galway, Limerick and Shannon which want to bypass Ennis

from http://www.ennisbypass.ie/ennisbypass/www/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mysterious wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but.. The Rossbrien interchange is inadequate for the simple reason being, that there is no access from the N18 (Galway/Shannon roads to get onto the N21/N20 Cork road and to a lesser extent from the N7 Dublin bound onto the Childers road. This means that this extra traffic WILL still have to use the old roads or go through the suburbs to get back onto the Bypass to continue the journey???.... The Childers access is not as important or really vital as there are a many interchanges that have direct access to the Childers road anyway.

The EIS non-technical summary has details of what is planned for the Rossbrien interchange. The movements that will not be allowed are the N7 from Dublin (SRR phase 1) to Childers Road, and the other is not as you state, but rather the N20 (Raheen Bypass) to Childers Road.

This latter omission is seemingly catastrophic. The existing Childers Road access is inadequate as an access point into the city, but it is better than not having one. If you look at the existing roads crossing the SRR 1 and 2 alignments (i.e. entering/leaving Limerick city), there are very few to the west/south. For West Limerick/Kerry there are only really the N69 (Dock Road), the R526 (Raheen/St. Nessans Road) and the current Childers Road access (as mentioned, this will be removed). Even for Cork (Croom, C'ville), the Fedamore Road (R511) and Old Cork Road (R512) are not realistic options, nevermind that they do not have interchanges on the SRR phase 1, but merely cross it on overbridges.

There are *NO* other route options to the south/west, not even minor, not even roads crossing the ring road with no interchange! (there is the Greenfields Road, but this is not a real back route, merely cutting a corner off taking the R526).

Without the Childers Road access is the entire city-bound traffic from the west (south bank of Shannon) and south intended to go via the Dock Road? Ludicrous, especially considering the plans for the Dock Road "interchange" (i.e. add another roundabout beside the Cement Factory one, and have slips dump traffic on these roundabouts with the SRR on an overpass between them).

I guess city-bound people will come off the N20 at the last interchange before SRR, i.e. onto the Dooradoyle Road (and possibly insanely filling up the Greenhills Road). St. Nessan's Road past the Shopping Centre will be like the days before the Raheen Bypass was built. Fantastic planning lads.

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote:
    The EIS non-technical summary has details of what is planned for the Rossbrien interchange. The movements that will not be allowed are the N7 from Dublin (SRR phase 1) to Childers Road, and the other is not as you state, but rather the N20 (Raheen Bypass) to Childers Road.

This latter omission is seemingly catastrophic. The existing Childers Road access is inadequate as an access point into the city, but it is better than not having one. If you look at the existing roads crossing the SRR 1 and 2 alignments (i.e. entering/leaving Limerick city), there are very few to the west/south. For West Limerick/Kerry there are only really the N69 (Dock Road), the R526 (Raheen/St. Nessans Road) and the current Childers Road access (as mentioned, this will be removed). Even for Cork (Croom, C'ville), the Fedamore Road (R511) and Old Cork Road (R512) are not realistic options, nevermind that they do not have interchanges on the SRR phase 1, but merely cross it on overbridges.

There are *NO* other route options to the south/west, not even minor, not even roads crossing the ring road with no interchange! (there is the Greenfields Road, but this is not a real back route, merely cutting a corner off taking the R526).

Without the Childers Road access is the entire city-bound traffic from the west (south bank of Shannon) and south intended to go via the Dock Road? Ludicrous, especially considering the plans for the Dock Road "interchange" (i.e. add another roundabout beside the Cement Factory one, and have slips dump traffic on these roundabouts with the SRR on an overpass between them).

I guess city-bound people will come off the N20 at the last interchange before SRR, i.e. onto the Dooradoyle Road (and possibly insanely filling up the Greenhills Road). St. Nessan's Road past the Shopping Centre will be like the days before the Raheen Bypass was built. Fantastic planning lads.

Zoney Where did you get your Facts on "no movements from N20 Raheen to Childers road....." The road passes straight under the The SRR phase 2 N18 flyover just where the current roundabout is now, that goes from east to west. The link, your pointing out can access the Childers road from Raheen directly under this flyover! Or am I totally wrong on this?

I agree with you on the fact that there should be full access from the SRR to the Childers road especially at this side of the city and that full access as we speak is serving the purpose. otherwise it will be a disaster. Dosn't the map not visually show these freeflowing movements at the new Rossbrien Interchange, you believe that are excluded in the proposed?, I see they are in it.

But the most important point, is the traffic rerouting all the national primary traffic from the city onto the SRR. The absence of Northern N18 traffic on the SRR from being proceeding to go south via the proposed Rossbrien interchage towards the N20 will still have to go through the existing roads through the city or the heaviliy gridllocked Dock road or the back roads through western suburbs.

The point which I've made I.e "No freeflowing link from The tunnel bounds N18 to N20 Raheen" But there is a northbound westfacing slip from N20 Raheen to the new SRR2 allright. Which seems odd to me.

IMO, I believe that these movements of traffic will carry the heaviest movement's of traffic after the Dublin N7/N18 east west allignment flying over the Rossbrien interchange from Coonagh to Lisnagry. I wonder if illogical planning like this, is allowed to be dissmissed in other countries when new roads get built, only then to be inadequate and outdated? I.e They build a first class road, which is fine, but the majority of traffic movements still cannot access the new road?

Zoney you did forget to mention the N24 has also direct access to the Childer's road from all directions..

Having said all the above it's worth mentioning that the N24 interchange could do with major upgrading too. I think this one of the only few interchanges in the country that has many daggered junctions from all directions with no Lights, roundabouts or any free flowing movements at all. It's also very dangerous with the amount of traffic entering and leaving these silly arrangements. There were many complaints on local papers about this particular interchange. In the LCC reponse to this, They have only approved just upgrading the road markings and signs etc.. :rolleyes: Is the NRA not responsible for this??

There is plenty of land there to add a few inexpensive free flowing slips that can be built with little disruption. Instead, Limerick county council have given planning permission to build a massive housing's estate directly beside these slips :eek:

I'll get a map in the next post.. Can't find it right now.

mysterious wrote:
    Zoney Where did you get your Facts on "no movements from N20 Raheen to Childers road....." The road passes straight under the The SRR phase 2 N18 flyover just where the current roundabout is now, that goes from east to west. The link, your pointing out can access the Childers road from Raheen directly under this flyover! Or am I totally wrong on this?

The facts are from the Environmental Impact Study non-technical summary document, which I would expect to be accurate. This can be found here (PDF 134 kB) on the Mid West Regional Design Office website for the SRR phase 2.
    I agree with you on the fact that there should be full access from the SRR to the Childers road especially at this side of the city and that full access as we speak is serving the purpose. otherwise it will be a disaster. Dosn't the map not visually show these freeflowing movements at the new Rossbrien Interchange, you believe that are excluded in the proposed?, I see they are in it.

What map are you referring to? Depending on the purpose of the map, it may not reflect all the details accurately (e.g. route selection map won't necessarily be correct for junction arrangement).
    But the most important point, is the traffic rerouting all the national primary traffic from the city onto the SRR. The absence of Northern N18 traffic on the SRR from being proceeding to go south via the proposed Rossbrien interchage towards the N20 will still have to go through the existing roads through the city or the heaviliy gridllocked Dock road or the back roads through western suburbs.

The point which I've made I.e "No freeflowing link from The tunnel bounds N18 to N20 Raheen" But there is a northbound westfacing slip from N20 Raheen to the new SRR2 allright. Which seems odd to me.

The N7 southbound (SRR phase 2 from N18) to N20 southbound (bypass south of Raheen) is not an excluded movement for the Rossbrien junction as far as the EIS summary is concerned.
    Zoney you did forget to mention the N24 has also direct access to the Childer's road from all directions..

The N24 is not a road south to Cork, nor west to West Limerick, Kerry. Read my post again; you'll see I am referring specifically to traffic coming in from Kerry, West Limerick, Cork (via N20). I included the R511 and R512; those routes I mentioned are the only ones covering a quarter-arc of the city. For traffic city-bound on the N20, going east and north via the SRR2, and then proceeding in along the R527 (formerly N24 into the city) will probably be lengthier and more illogical than going via the Dock Road.
    Having said all the above it's worth mentioning that the N24 interchange could do with major upgrading too. I think this one of the only few interchanges in the country that has many daggered junctions from all directions with no Lights, roundabouts or any free flowing movements at all. It's also very dangerous with the amount of traffic entering and leaving these silly arrangements. There were many complaints on local papers about this particular interchange. In the LCC reponse to this, They have only approved just upgrading the road markings and signs etc.. :rolleyes: Is the NRA not responsible for this??

I agree; this is an appalling junction for one between two national primary roads (N7, N24). It is just about the lowest capacity type of grade-separated junction that there is; even a dumbell interchange (roundabouts either end of the bridge) is marginally higher capacity.

I am not sure that the NRA is now technically responsible. With the completion of the junction, and the new 2006 statutory instruments (available on the Dept. of Transport website) detailing the routes of national roads and regional roads in the State; the N24 now only commences at this junction. The road into the city is the R527 now (despite the usual lack of replacement of green signs with white except at the SRR end - the R445 is still signposted as the N7 through the city too). It may well be that the overbridge is also considered part of the R527 (obviously the SI does not detail the routes that minutely, so one can't tell from it). As you may be aware, the NRA aren't responsible for R roads.
    There is plenty of land there to add a few inexpensive free flowing slips that can be built with little disruption. Instead, Limerick county council have given planning permission to build a massive housing's estate directly beside these slips :eek:

Saw the construction underway. Absolutely stark raving mad. No wonder Ireland is being used as a "worst case scenario" to tell new EU members what happens if you screw up/don't bother with planning.
    I'll get a map in the next post.. Can't find it right now.

Quite interested to see it.

Here it is!!!!
    Now explain your criteria..

Finally at least one section of the Limerick inter urban route has started..:D
    It's 2006 and the N7(M7) Nenagh to Limerick route has still not started. The date on the website says 2006 NRA have seemed to stall this or what? Every route on the programme for 2006 has started. It's seriously becoming unrealistic to have ANY section of the N7 finished by 2010.

What about M7 Portlaoise- Borris/Cullahil bypass. :confused: It does seem like I'm getting impaitent, I know! but WTF is the waiting game for?

The Sligo N4
    This road has seen dramatic changes over the last few years. The Egdeworthtown bypass, N4 Mc Neads bridge, kilcock/Kinnegad motorway, Boyle improvements and the Sligo inner relief road, final sections are the N5 Longford bypass (still under planning I think) The 2+1 Rooskey bypass which has started a few weeks ago. This should mean that the N4 is almost finshed.

Cork N8
    Watergrasshill bypass, Fermoy/Rathcormac M8 opened 2006, Mitchellstown relief road, Cashel bypass, and approval of Cashel to Mitchellstown and Fermoy to Mitchellstown sections (which are due to start or just begun construction, and the Cashel/Urlingford section inclusive) The only section yet to be given the go ahead is the M7/M8 spur.

Galway N6
    M4 Kinnegad/Kilcock motorway. Kilbegann to Athlone phase 1 which is well underway and should be finished by next year, and phase 2 which is now under construction. This means there will be continuous Motorway/DC from the Roscommon border to Dublin by at least early 2008.
    Now the approaval of the N6 Ballinasloe project (which is due to start soon also) Loughrea bypass opened early 2006.

Waterford. N9
    Carlow bypass has already begun, Waterford N25 bypass well underway, opening of outer ring road in 2005. The Waterford N9 to south of Thomastown (kilkenny turn off) is due to start I believe early next year. But If Cullen remains in power, Naturally enough this road will get favoured and meet the 2009/2010 deadline. IMO Cork/Limerick section should get more projects moving first as a priorty.

Limerick N7
    N7 Southern Ring road phase 2 got underway recently and due to be finshed by 2009 (5 years late may I add) N7 to Nenagh meant to start this year? lol.. Castletown to Nenagh section "no official date given from what I gather" M7/M8 spur at Borris in ossary??? Not one one project has started west of Portlaoise or yet to be finished!

Well This is just a quick glimpse of the progress of the inter urban network. Feel free to correct dates and times of projects... Or if I've missed some projects(I think I've most of them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

Waterford Bypass is also way behind schedule.. it was due to Finish in 2005 in time for the Tall Shippes but didn't start until April this year.

The N9 is the worst national road by far in the country and is only right that this is given priority especially the section South of Gowran all the Way to Waterford. If you had to drive this every day you would know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

M7/M8 interchange and all that will start Summer 2007. Ignore the Mitchelstown Relief road, thats a temporary measure until DC is built to fill the Fermoy/Cashel (I think?) gap. In any case theres a gap and thats WAY behind schedule.

Forget having all these DONE by 2010, but perhaps finished by the END of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mysterious wrote:
    It's seriously becoming unrealistic to have ANY section of the N7 finished by 2010.
    Naas Road - Portlaoise is complete. :p

mysterious wrote:
    Finally at least one section of the Limerick inter urban route has started..:D
    It's 2006 and the N7(M7) Nenagh to Limerick route has still not started. The date on the website says 2006 NRA have seemed to stall this or what? Every route on the programme for 2006 has started. It's seriously becoming unrealistic to have ANY section of the N7 finished by 2010.

What about M7 Portlaoise- Borris/Cullahil bypass. :confused: It does seem like I'm getting impaitent, I know! but WTF is the waiting game for?

The N7/M7 Limerick-Nenagh has started; there is digging underway along what seems like the whole route (one can see it at various points alongside the existing road) and even the Nenagh bypass has preliminary work stuff (barriers at overhead power lines).

As regards having "ANY section of the N7 finished by 2010"; the entirity of south of Portlaoise to M50 roundabout has been finished; that is all N7/M7.

Portlaoise to Cullahill is likely to begin soon enough; some recent publicity about the N8 (maybe it was at the opening of the M8 Fermoy-Rathcormac) suggested the M7/M8 project south of Portlaoise would start soon. The majority of this project is M7; as the M8 will fork off halfway along the M7 section. This will leave the N80 as the only national road going through Portlaoise town (at present the N8 still commences in the town; not at the junction with the M7 Portlaoise Bypass).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

mysterious wrote:
    Here it is!!!!
    Now explain your criteria..
    let me get this straight
    the red road on that map im assuming its a motroway
    but from what i see its going right alone beside the cresent and the train tracks that are there
    surely thats going to cause a lot of havoc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Zoney wrote:
    As regards having "ANY section of the N7 finished by 2010"; the entirity of south of Portlaoise to M50 roundabout has been finished; that is all N7/M7.

Not so - Newlands Cross is still to be tackled.

Dermot

Advertisement