Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming to Twitch: Elgato Capture Card

Options
  • 30-04-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just started to stream to Twitch using a capture card. We chose to buy the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus but have had to return it as there were constant issues. We use the capture card primarily for streaming to Twitch. The HD PVR 2 would freeze for no reason and the only way to stop it was to disconnect the usb connection. Then when it was reconnected it stated that the device had malfunctioned. We could never stream for more than an hour so and usually it stopped within 30 minutes.

We contacted Hauppauge Tech support and tried several recommendations but they did not work unfortunately. I have read that the Hauppauge software - Hauppauge Capture and ArcSoft Showbiz- can be a little glitchy. So we have returned the HD PVR 2. We are considering the Elgato Capture HD now. Would you recommend this product?

I don't have a great laptop but was told it should be capable of running both of the aforementioned capture cards. These are my laptop specs.

Sony Vaio
    Windows 7
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz
    Installed Memory(RAM): 4GB (3.86 GB Usable)
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System

The Windows Task Manager CPU Performance showed that the max percentage reached would be 30% but it was usually lower than that.

So we are looking to get the Elgato Game Capture HD as the HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus did not work. We need it for streaming to Twitch primarily but may need to use it for uploading videos in the future. Would you recommend the Elgato and will it definitely work with my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help. There are so many opposing views online so I would really appreciate any help or advice you could give.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I've used Hauppauge devices on specs like yours for hours on end at a time. Either there's some other issue like a dodgy slow hard drive or your unit was really faulty, so while you wouldn't be adding any amazing special effects or using 10 cameras as sources you should at least be able to stream.

I know that's not actually very useful advice but that's my experience with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zippacat

I've used Hauppauge devices on specs like yours for hours on end at a time. Either there's some other issue like a dodgy slow hard drive or your unit was really faulty, so while you wouldn't be adding any amazing special effects or using 10 cameras as sources you should at least be able to stream.

I know that's not actually very useful advice but that's my experience with them!

Thanks for the advice. It does seem like we were unlucky and actually got a faulty product. Not sure whether to reorder a HD PVR2 or just go with the Elgato. Hhhmm.. They seem so similar.

Advertisement