Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'm surprised Toon Link made it back in. If someone forced me to pick 5 characters that wouldn't make it back in, he would definitely have been one of my picks.

Considering that they said this game will have restricted character amounts to keep within 3DS hardware limitations, I am genuinely disappointed to see Toon Link announced.

Moveset wise (size and weight aside) he was always one of the most similar clone characters.

This announcement just basically guarantees that when Regular Link is crying himself to sleep at night over how bad of a character he is, won't even be able to console himself by thinking "Well at least I'm the best Link".

Here's hoping for a Marth, Deedeedee or Warioland Wario announcement next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Thank god. I was so worried they wouldn't have a clone of that already revealed character in the game. I'm so glad they revealed Toon Link so soon!

(</sarcasm> Yes I know it's to tie in with Wind Waker HD )

I'm pretty sad to see he has the same moveset as Link again. Even Mario and Luigi have more varied movesets than Link and Toon Link. :/
    I'm surprised Toon Link made it back in. If someone forced me to pick 5 characters that wouldn't make it back in, he would definitely have been one of my picks.
    You wouldn't even have to force me. Straight up I don't want him in the game. If they showed me a list of all the characters they were planning to make I'd just cut him and tell them to spend that money on something worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

I don't disagree, but Wind Waker HD pretty much guaranteed it.

@Prinny: Fire Emblem is guaranteed to be represented, since it's a pretty big earner for Nintendo, and it was Smash that introduced it and Marth to the West. Since Fire Emblem Awakening was the most recent game to date, was on the 3DS and starred Marth, I would think it's safe to say he'll be back.

So far in the series, the only 'unique' character from 64 and Melee to be excluded from Brawl was Mewtwo, and he was replaced by Lucario, who's similar enough. Unless the 3DS' limitations is going to drastically reduce the roster size, the real question is which clones will be returning.

I'm torn, because while I would rather see more varied and unique characters in the game, I would be sad if Falco didn't make it back in.

@Prinny: Fire Emblem is guaranteed to be represented, since it's a pretty big earner for Nintendo, and it was Smash that introduced it and Marth to the West. Since Fire Emblem Awakening was the most recent game to date, was on the 3DS and starred Marth, I would think it's safe to say he'll be back.

I know everything you're saying, and I won't comment on the 3DS game as I wouldn't want to spoil it for people.

Very likely to be included doesn't equal guaranteed though. I think Marth, Chrom or Lucina are all pretty fair game for the next Smash; but I would have picked any one of them as being MORE likely than bloody toon link.

I tried to sit down and list off what clones I do and don't like. Totally subjective I know.
    But unsurprisingly it just turned into a
    "I don't like Brawl, but one or two of the chars were cool"

Liked: Melee Ganondorf, Roy, Melee Falco, Wolf, Luigi, Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, Lucario

Didn't like: Ike, Brawl Falco, Brawl Ganondorf, Toon Link, Lucas

Liked: Melee Ganondorf, Roy, Melee Falco, Wolf, Luigi, Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, Lucario

I don't like any version of Ganondorf; he has NO business being a clone of Captain Falcon. If they won't accurately portray the character, I'd rather he wasn't there at all.

I've only ever played Shadow Dragon, so I have no attachment to them, but Ike is one of the few Brawl characters I like, and I'd put him above Roy for being his own character, and not a Marth clone.

You're right though; it is subjective.

• Advertisement

All removed plz. Keep Ganondorf and give him new moves, Luigi gets a free pass because his name literally means Similar. Lucario or Mewtwo are okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mega Mewtwo, calling it now.

Sairus wrote: »
    All removed plz. Keep Ganondorf and give him new moves, Luigi gets a free pass because his name literally means Similar. Lucario or Mewtwo are okay.

Except Falco. ^^
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Mega Mewtwo, calling it now.

Which one? :P

mewtwox.pngmewtwo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

If they won't accurately portray the character, I'd rather he wasn't there at all.

TBF that complaint applies to most of the cast which largely consists of characters who couldn't fight worth crap in their own series.

Nobody would even know who Captain Falcon was if they didn't shoehorn him into Smash and inexplicably make him a crazy superpowered martial artist which then bled into his other appearances.

Really Ganon should've had something more akin to Ike's moveset when he was introduced but HAL were lazy and we got what we got. The changes in Brawl were going in the right direction IMO, they just need to keep similar functionality while making him move more like a brawler than a trained fighter and maybe squeeze in some magic (even if only on aesthetics) - he's supposed to be a bloody warlock.
    Didn't like: Ike

Ike is his own man, very little clone-y about him.

I like Melee Ganondorf because he's a fun powerhouse. No one else in Melee is manly enough to kill someone with a single press of neutral A attack.
    Him being a clone of Captain Falcon is as bizarre as Captain Falcon being a playable character in the first place.

I shudder to think of a world where "FALCON PUNCH!" wasn't a thing though.

Really Ganon ....he's supposed to be a bloody warlock.
    The character who fights the most like I imagine Ganondorf should have was actually Mewtwo.
    Purple energy balls everywhere. Floats instead of walking. Teleports and hypnosis. The ability to reflect projectiles while letting them retain the ability to hurt him.

If you could do a moveset swap between them, I imagine it would look pretty legit.
    Ike is his own man, very little clone-y about him.

The exact definition of a clone was never agreed upon, and I have no interest in doing so, so I won't argue whether he was or wasn't with you. I just didn't like him.

• Advertisement

TBF that complaint applies to most of the cast which largely consists of characters who couldn't fight worth crap in their own series.

Nobody would even know who Captain Falcon was if they didn't shoehorn him into Smash and inexplicably make him a crazy superpowered martial artist which then bled into his other appearances.

Really Ganon should've had something more akin to Ike's moveset when he was introduced but HAL were lazy and we got what we got. The changes in Brawl were going in the right direction IMO, they just need to keep similar functionality while making him move more like a brawler than a trained fighter and maybe squeeze in some magic (even if only on aesthetics) - he's supposed to be a bloody warlock.

Fair point, but there's an important distinction here. Characters like Fox and Captain Falcon aren't grounded in action-adventure or platform games like so many others; since most of their gameplay takes place in a cockpit, HAL mostly had creative freedom with their movesets. Hell, even Marth's style is completely made up; he only had two animations in Fire Emblem.

Ganon on the other hand is the big boss of most of the Zelda series and there's loads of source material from which to derive an original moveset for the character. It's actually disgraceful that he was a clone, not once, but twice.

EDIT: I tell a lie, they had this to work with for Captain Falcon:

Remember though, that series was made several years after Falcons Smash appearance, it's actually based on his memetic status from the game rather than the other way round.

Apparently Falcon's Smash moveset was based on a comic that was in the manual of original SNES game.

Remember though, that series was made several years after Falcons Smash appearance, it's actually based on his memetic status from the game rather than the other way round.

I'm not even sorry I was wrong. That is amazing.

Sonic, Mario & Megaman in one game?

Ooooooh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

sonic is back super smash bros 4 info from october nintendo direct, megaman isnt only 3rd party add to it, sonic is 3rd party 2,

I am actually genuinely surprised Sonic made it back in.

I thought he and Snake were a one-time deal. I wonder will Konami want to see Solid Snake back, or will they not be arsed because they'd probably need to redub him with Kiefer instread of David Hayter.

On the flipside, will Nintendo even want Snake back, since there are no MGS stuff on Nintendo consoles coming, and they probably don't want to promote games exclusive to a competing console...

Yeah, my money is on "No Snake".

Even though I was never a fan of Sonic in Brawl, it's great that he's back because that gives the game potential to use Sonic music, stages (both confirmed in that trailer), items and the wealth of extraneous characters that Sonic has become known for.

They might also make him less terrible of a character.

Not surprised that Sonic made it back; I would actually have expected fanrage if he didn't, and it's better for the game in general that he did. Snake, however, will probably not be back. That was more about Kojima's fanboy dream of having him square off with Mario than anything else, and your reasoning for his exclusion is pretty sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hope they add Pac-Man. Can't have Mario, Sonic and Mega Man without having Pac-Man. It would be wrong.

I can't see Snake returning but I sure as hell hope he does. If they did I doubt they'd have any real qualms about using Hayter again, it would just be easier. It would be worth it to see how they pulled off Snake is these more colourful graphics. I could potentially imagine Sakurai pushing to use him again just because it saves time on replacing him with somebody with an entirely different moveset.

• Advertisement

Not surprised that Sonic made it back; I would actually have expected fanrage if he didn't

If Nintendo has taught us anything, it's that they don't give no damns about fanrage.

Having Sonic in two games in a row essentially makes him a regular. That seems weird to me. Appearance-wise he'll be more established in the series than Roy; and Roy isn't know for anything in the English speaking world except Melee.

Apparently having Sonic in Smash 4 is one of the "three Sonic Nintendo exclusives" negotiated between the companies, which would mean that to have him in Smash 5 would mean negotiating a fresh contract, or dropping him permanently.

I don't think any character has been dropped after starring in two games.

Does this mean we're just going to have Sonic in Smash forever?

maybe nintendo did it out friendship for since sega helping nintendo like triforce sega and mario & sonic games

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    maybe nintendo did it out friendship

:rolleyes:

Davidius wrote: »
    I hope they add Pac-Man. Can't have Mario, Sonic and Mega Man without having Pac-Man. It would be wrong.
    Well, it is being co-developed with Bandai Namco... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, it is being co-developed with Bandai Namco... :pac:
    But Sakurai did say they wouldn't receive priority for character selection, probably just pulling the wool over in a vain attempt to make Pac-Man seem surprising. It wouldn't totally surprise me if Mega Man and Sonic were the only 3rd parties, especially after how many were sure Mega Man would be in Brawl.

Davidius wrote: »
    But Sakurai did say they wouldn't receive priority for character selection, probably just pulling the wool over in a vain attempt to make Pac-Man seem surprising. It wouldn't totally surprise me if Mega Man and Sonic were the only 3rd parties, especially after how many were sure Mega Man would be in Brawl.

I recall there being rumours prior to E3 about the possible inclusion of Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac and Pac-Man. These have mostly come true so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pac-Man included as a sort of Namco watermark -- though I've no idea how'd they'd pull it off -- and I'm still betting on Little Mac being there, given the boxing ring stage and the Punch Out game on the Wii.

They seem to be upping the pace for character reveals, so I'm sure we'll find out before long; there are still a few months to go before we'll even hear the release date after all.

well not me megaman had come someday to super smash bros someday, remember nintendo cartoon tv series captain N with megaman and pit kid Icarus, besides 1st six megaman games were on game boy

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge – Game Boy, 1991
    Mega Man II – Game Boy, 1991 (JP), 1992 (US)
    Mega Man III – Game Boy, 1992
    Mega Man IV – Game Boy, 1993
    Mega Man V – Game Boy, 1994

actually there been more megaman games on nintendo devices then other devices

and sonic was unlockable character in last super smash bros brawl

I recall there being rumours prior to E3 about the possible inclusion of Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac and Pac-Man. These have mostly come true so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pac-Man included as a sort of Namco watermark -- though I've no idea how'd they'd pull it off -- and I'm still betting on Little Mac being there, given the boxing ring stage and the Punch Out game on the Wii.

They seem to be upping the pace for character reveals, so I'm sure we'll find out before long; there are still a few months to go before we'll even hear the release date after all.

punch out wii was sequel to super punch out on the snes before that Punch-Out!! / Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, on the nes, before the punch out on arcades

punch out games
    Developers Nintendo IRD, Next Level Games Publishers Nintendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

.... No pokemon reveal on friday was puzzling. Tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Since Nintendo aren't doing a Pokemon reveal, how about Project M does one instead?

(Project M is a modified version of Smash Bros. Brawl that makes it much more similar to Melee while retaining the much larger cast.)

I did a little reading on the making of this guy. It's kind of nuts how much effort goes into this game. Since Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl they used Lucario's character code as a base to take advantage of his charge projectile and command grab. Everything else had to be recoded manually and all his animations are actually brand new. They couldn't just port them across so one guy had to reanimate him from scratch, copying the Melee animations.

Sairus wrote: »
    Since Nintendo aren't doing a Pokemon reveal, how about Project M does one instead?

That looks like a crazy fun character!

I always liked Mewtwo, even though he was one of the worst in the game.

Nice touch that made his reflector actually a proper reflector.

i say little mac from Punch out in SSB 4

since nintendo are publisher of punch out thats means they have rights to it and he wont 3rd party character since nintendo already own punch out

Developers Nintendo IRD, Next Level Games
    Publishers Nintendo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch-Out!!

according to Masahiro Sakurai as the creator and director of the Kirby and the Super Smash Bros. series. and The latest issue of Nintendo official mag is out now with news of new super smash bros wii u and will be featuring sonic and wind waker toon link

new pokemon character, its wont be mewtwo they already did him in super smash bros melee, every super smash bros so far was different with pokemon character beside Pikachu always been difference, for ssb 1 it was Jigglypuff, for melee it was mewtwo, for brawl it was Lucario, so for SSB 4 they will do more likely pick of the new ones from one of popular ones from Generation VI

every super smash bros so far was different with pokemon character beside Pikachu always been difference, for ssb 1 it was Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff has been in every smash game, and is always a secret character.

Usually he's the first char you unlock in any file since its requirements are generally the most simple.

I think he's a Smash 4 guaranteed returner because Jigglypuff is super popular in Japan.

• Advertisement

there were 13 playable characters in ssb 1, in melee there were 20 playable characters, brawl has 35 playable characters, you see each series has more playable characters then last one, so ssb4 should have more playable characters then brawl,

there were 13 playable characters in ssb 1, in melee there were 20 playable characters, brawl has 35 playable characters, you see each series has more playable characters then last one, so ssb4 should have more playable characters then brawl,

Here's a page with a list of actual playable characters per game: http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Super_Smash_Bros._series_characters

They've been hinting that Smash 4 will have less characters than Brawl. Which is unfortunate.

tumblr_mviu6tEKMr1qhhv13o1_1280.jpg

What.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Cool.

Xerneas revealed for Super Smash Bros 4

October 19th, 2013 by CM300 Comments

Only as a Pokeball species mind you, but it’s at least proof that Pokemon X and Y will be represented in the upcoming game. Here’s the daily picture confirming its inclusion:

Xerneas pic smash bros

But now that gen 6 Pokemon are in the game, how will this affect the next character reveal and various other things? Could this be the first indication that Mewtwo might make its return with its Mega Forms as possible Final Smashes? That a stage based on a Kalos location could be present?

What other stuff from gen 6 will be included in Super Smash Bros now that Xerneas is confirmed as being in the game somehow?

• Advertisement

Marth announced and looking as manly as expected.

screen-9.jpg

After seeing the Male trainer alt, I demand a Lucia alt.

In fact I demand all the best alts ever instead of clone characters.

Lythero wrote: »
    After seeing the Male trainer alt, I demand a Lucia alt.

In fact I demand all the best alts ever instead of clone characters.

Was the Male Trainer confirmed as an alt costume?

IIRC, alt costumes have been super rare in Smash. Wario has his Warioware and Warioland costumes in Brawl (each with a full colour palette). But other than that it's just shallow changes like Capt Falcon having that Blood Falcon alt and Peach with the Daisy broach. That's more or less it though.

Keeping in mind an awareness and avoidance of spoilers, I would totally play Lucina as a separate character. I dug that plot-line.

Called it.

Scrolling back through this topic, they said they were going to cut the subspace emissary-esque cut-scenes in favour of giving us sweet character reveal trailers.

Where's my Marth reveal trailer?

Or any non-E3 reveal trailer at all?

/table flip

Scrolling back through this topic, they said they were going to cut the subspace emissary-esque cut-scenes in favour of giving us sweet character reveal trailers.

Where's my Marth reveal trailer?

Or any non-E3 reveal trailer at all?

/table flip

That is... actually an excellent point.

screen-9.jpg
    that photo got be a fake we all know peach loves mario

Nintendo already hinted that they can't handle many characters this time around. So if they're going to try and make "Male Wii Fit Trainer" another character entirely, then they are being utter dip****s. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by trusting it's just an alt. It'd be a great way to get past not being able to make as many movelists yet still including all the clone characters people want to see returned like Roy or even Dr. Mario.

Lythero wrote: »
    Nintendo already hinted that they can't handle many characters this time around. So if they're going to try and make "Male Wii Fit Trainer" another character entirely, then they are being utter dip****s. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by trusting it's just an alt. It'd be a great way to get past not being able to make as many movelists yet still including all the clone characters people want to see returned like Roy or even Dr. Mario.

i wouldnt roy a clone of marth since Roy moves not exact same marth but are similar

that photo got be a fake we all know peach loves mario

I assumed there was a tiny mirror in his palm. The picture shows that Marth loves Marth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement