Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disillusioned with Teaching council

Options
  • 15-11-2014 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Came home this evening from work and am feeling so disillusioned in my profession as a teacher.Staff were informed today about new practice being brought in with the Teaching Council - basically message that I got across is that no matter what grievance a parent has with their view of a teacher's teaching ability ( even if their view might not be true to the teachers actual teaching ability ) that they can bring their grievance to the teaching council and through various steps the teacher can be sacked - I just feel from the talk today that the side of the teacher as in what the teacher has to say as to why student is not performing in class is not important.Just felt very threatened and vulnerable from the talk.
    I have had an incident with one parent since last year who by bullying tactics and accusing me of not being a competent teacher - every thing this parent is saying is in her own opinion ( nothing factual) There are other reasons which I won't discuss here why I feel this parents child is underperforming.I feel management are totally taking sides with parents and that the teachers have no input into explaining in just plain black and white why students are not performing.I really despise how Irish society has turned and still is turning.Dont get me wrong there are plenty of lovely understanding and caring parents with wonderful and positive children but I just feel that it's mainly the children of parents who have absolutely no values and no sense of ownership of work who complain constantly and are listened to at the top.As a result they are being let undermine teachers with no facts - just opinions! Is it just me who feels like this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

magicgal wrote: »
    Came home this evening from work and am feeling so disillusioned in my profession as a teacher.Staff were informed today about new practice being brought in with the Teaching Council - basically message that I got across is that no matter what grievance a parent has with their view of a teacher's teaching ability ( even if their view might not be true to the teachers actual teaching ability ) that they can bring their grievance to the teaching council and through various steps the teacher can be sacked - I just feel from the talk today that the side of the teacher as in what the teacher has to say as to why student is not performing in class is not important.Just felt very threatened and vulnerable from the talk.
    I have had an incident with one parent since last year who by bullying tactics and accusing me of not being a competent teacher - every thing this parent is saying is in her own opinion ( nothing factual) There are other reasons which I won't discuss here why I feel this parents child is underperforming.I feel management are totally taking sides with parents and that the teachers have no input into explaining in just plain black and white why students are not performing.I really despise how Irish society has turned and still is turning.Dont get me wrong there are plenty of lovely understanding and caring parents with wonderful and positive children but I just feel that it's mainly the children of parents who have absolutely no values and no sense of ownership of work who complain constantly and are listened to at the top.As a result they are being let undermine teachers with no facts - just opinions! Is it just me who feels like this??

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of parents who will ignore all the patterns of misbehaviour by their child and seek to take on "authority figures" in order to be seen to be defending their child. The child then becomes more disruptive because they know they have their parent behind them no matter what.

In my experience the worst parents for this are the ones who are using teachers as pawns in their battles with the child's other parent. A close second are neglectful alcohol parents who know they neglect their child and so use any complaint from the child about school as an opportunity to come down and "defend" the child in public. And return home to the bottle, satisfied that they have shown their child they care about them.

Most parents are absolutely sound, but it only takes a single parent like this - often people with little experience in working environments - to make life hell for a teacher. Having very little to lose they can, and will, destroy a teacher's career with baseless allegations unless the school management has the balls to look at the facts and stand by the teacher. I would strongly support cameras in class to protect teachers from character assassination by such parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ya, I read about that a while back. It seems students can do no wrong.

In terms of your immediate position, I would start (if you haven't already) keeping a long term log of that student's behaviour, work, attendance etc. It might create more work for you but you will have the all important paper trail.

It could just be a notebook where you create several headings:
    • Attendance
    • Punctuality
    • Materials for class
    • Homework complete and presented
    • Interaction with you in class
    • Interaction with other students in class
    • Completion of tasks set in class/Engagement with lesson
    • General behaviour
    • Steps taken to *support* student

When I say support, given that the parent is basically saying it's all your fault, if you have a record to show what you are doing in class, it will show evidence that you are doing your job, and highlight the problems created by the student.

It's extra work but if it meant spending 5 minutes filling it in every day on whether they had book, homework, were disruptive, what you did to correct them or help them in class it would give a very comprehensive account of this students behaviour. You won't have much else to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

Thanks for advice.Keep records of all of that already but when I presented parent with evidence of work and other records as to why child was underperforming the parent would not listen to me.Still feel even with evidence not enough support is being given to help to back up the evidence of the teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

If the allegation is not true then the Teaching Council will see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Any complaint made by anyone to the Teaching Council about a teacher will be immediately referred back to the existing procedures, which have been in place for many years. The TC will only become involved once the existing procedures have been gone through.

See Circular 60/2009 for detailed information.

• Advertisement
Advertisement