Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redeployment in Post Primary

• 11-02-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences/knowledge of how redeployment works in post primary? I've researched but from what I can make of it it seems near impossible to get. Im a permanent secondary school teacher and I want to move from east to west...but am reluctant to give up the cushion of my permanency to do so-any useful insights for me?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I don't think redeployment is voluntary like that, as in I don't think you get redeployed to where you want to go to. I think its more a case that if your school is over quota and they aren't entitled to have you as teacher of 'Subject X' and there is a school somewhere else that is within quota and needs a teacher of Subject X, you could be redeployed there.....don't think it would be voluntary either.

Not sure how much redeployment actually happens anymore though....anyone I know who is teaching seems to be in a school that's over quota and I haven't heard of anyone being redeployed in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

RH149 wrote: »
    I don't think redeployment is voluntary like that, as in I don't think you get redeployed to where you want to go to. I think its more a case that if your school is over quota and they aren't entitled to have you as teacher of 'Subject X' and there is a school somewhere else that is within quota and needs a teacher of Subject X, you could be redeployed there.....don't think it would be voluntary either.

Not sure how much redeployment actually happens anymore though....anyone I know who is teaching seems to be in a school that's over quota and I haven't heard of anyone being redeployed in a long time.

So if I want to move west I have to pretty much wait for a job to be advertised, give up my permanency and start all over again really?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭new look

Unfortunately yea! I'm in the same boat! Looking to move to the east but have a permanent job elsewhere and was looking into redeployment but found out last week it's not gonna happen in the school. It's if the school is over quota and can show that your not required (i.e. absorbing your subject hours into others' timetables or your subjects are no longer being taught) but another school needs your subjects. It's really unfair and a very hard decision to make. I'm very wary of giving up my permanency but I don't know If I'll have a choice :(

new look wrote: »
    Unfortunately yea! I'm in the same boat! Looking to move to the east but have a permanent job elsewhere and was looking into redeployment but found out last week it's not gonna happen in the school. It's if the school is over quota and can show that your not required (i.e. absorbing your subject hours into others' timetables or your subjects are no longer being taught) but another school needs your subjects. It's really unfair and a very hard decision to make. I'm very wary of giving up my permanency but I don't know If I'll have a choice :(

Its horrible...any chance you're a business teacher in Galway and want to swap with me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭new look

I'm afraid not :( Pity though! We should set up a job swap service!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

teachers put swop ads in the asti newsletter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Armelodie wrote: »
    teachers put swop ads in the asti newsletter!

I have heard of ot happening where two teachers grind each other and get agreement from the BOM subject to interviews several terms and conditions and a review after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

There is a voluntary redeployment scheme for teachers in Connaught.
    http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/Teacher-Allocations-Staffing/Teacher-Allocation/Pilot-Voluntary-Redeployment-Scheme-2014.pdf
    Might be of use to some people.

I heard about them ads in the Asti newsletter alright but I've not actually seen them yet...but in fairness I skim through it very quickly! There's only so much croke park this and Haddington road that a girl can take! So that redeployment in Connaught thing...those with jobs in Connaught apply for it and then what do those of us in Leinster who want to move to Connaught do-just put ourselves on panel??

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Am in same boat as original poster - lots of other teachers from the west originally in the east in same position.Such a joke that no schools being built in the west compared to the East side of the country.Am lucky to be in a permanent job in the east but am teaching 10 years and any job (which has been literally nothing) that I have applied for in Galway is sewn up for someone already.Just find to get a position in a school in the West it boils down a lit to who you know.

• Advertisement

Am in same boat as original poster - lots of other teachers from the west originally in the east in same position.Such a joke that no schools being built in the west compared to the East side of the country.Am lucky to be in a permanent job in the east but am teaching 10 years and any job (which has been literally nothing) that I have applied for in Galway is sewn up for someone already.Just find to get a position in a school in the West it boils down a lit to who you know.

I agree with you...although as bad as that is in post primary it seems to be even worse in primary. The amount of primary schools at home that have mother/daughter/cousin/family friends staff is ridiculous.
    Everyone wants to live in Galway is the problem...and who can blame them I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

.Such a joke that no schools being built in the west compared to the East side of the country.

i understand your frustration but they cant just build new schools to suit teachers who would like to move back west. There needs to be a population base. Hardly a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Is there a secondary school redeployment panel established yet? At the moment there are 82 second level jobs advertised on educationposts.ie.

As I understand it, schools must recruit from a panel composed of teachers from over quota and closed schools first before advertising a post.

If there is a panel in place, could these advertisements indicate that there aren't many people on it? I would have thought there is a sufficient number of over quota schools to supply teachers to new posts for a while. A new school in Greystones, Wicklow has no fewer than 17 jobs advertised today. Bearing in mind that the school is fewer than 50km from Dublin (the radius for teachers on the panel) do they have any onus to recruit from it?

Has the voluntary redeployment scheme at second level been set up yet either?

Yeah it's pretty strange and something I've often wondered about too.. I know every year teachers I know are told their jobs are subject to panel and in 6 years I've never heard of it happening, nobody ever seems to be on the panel in Leinster.
    However I have heard it happen twice in others parts of the country, mayo and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if you note a lot of those ads are Cork ETB and the new school in greystones and on their forms/info, it does state that the jobs depend on the outcome of redeployment so I wouldn't read anything into it other than places are starting their paperwork to get the ball rolling than leaving it til summer when no one is in the mood to do it.
    Redeployment has happened but at this stage, schools have stabilised, especially as there has not been change in ptr last budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Anecdotally there are far more teachers over quote on the western side of the country than the east. I suppose it would make sense since schools around Dublin have been expanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

The only thing about Dublin is that there is a concentration of fee-paying schools there. It is often not possible to entirely complete the envisaged level of redeployment because of subject combinations and other factors. I know from a colleague of one fee-paying school in Dublin that is due to redeploy two teachers out. However, I think the east/west divide referred to is generally accurate.

It all begs the question: why are post-primary teachers kept so completely in the dark? Look at the INTO website. It updates the situation in primary every couple of weeks. I remember saying this back in 2011, surely the least we are entitled to is to be told the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's because of the variables as you said.

A primary teacher can teach any one of 8 years in a primary school and if a class is available, that means a job is available.

The dismantling of jobs in second level into "hours" has made this process virtually impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Anecdotally there are far more teachers over quote on the western side of the country than the east. I suppose it would make sense since schools around Dublin have been expanding

Yep, there is a redeployment scheme in Connacht and I think Donegal might be part of it because it makes sense geographically. Last year apparently there were 10 teachers over quota in Co. Sligo. So if positions came up relatively close to them, within Sligo itself, or Mayo, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon they were redeployed. Galway too if it suited a teacher to move.

We were all offered the option of applying for redeployment last year and again this year. If one of our teachers is successfully moved, then that position is supposed to be filled by a teacher from an over quota school if the subjects fit.

One of our teachers took voluntarily redeployment last year as she got a position closer to home and we had a teacher compulsorily redeployed in her place.

It makes sense to employ those within the system first but it's not ideal for those that don't want to leave the schools that they are in. It doesn't work on a wide scale either if the subjects don't match. Sligo could have 10 English and history teachers, no good if you have a vacancy for a French teacher.

All of these redeployments will take place before considering applications from Leinster I would imagine. Also as the population is not growing rapidly in the west there isn't a huge swell in numbers in schools.

linguist wrote: »
    The only thing about Dublin is that there is a concentration of fee-paying schools there. It is often not possible to entirely complete the envisaged level of redeployment because of subject combinations and other factors. I know from a colleague of one fee-paying school in Dublin that is due to redeploy two teachers out. However, I think the east/west divide referred to is generally accurate.

It all begs the question: why are post-primary teachers kept so completely in the dark? Look at the INTO website. It updates the situation in primary every couple of weeks. I remember saying this back in 2011, surely the least we are entitled to is to be told the situation.

Teaching posts are full time in primary school. It's a much simpler process. One teacher for each class. No consideration of subject combinations and how many hours are needed in each subject.

• Advertisement

I think my question was slightly misunderstood. I appreciate the problem in identifying vacancies but there should be no problem in giving us a list of how many overquota teachers are up for redeployment on a county basis. And yes, I know that 50km will cross county boundaries:) There is no effort made to provide reassurance to non-permanent teachers or those seeking employment as to the extent of the process. That and the total lack of progress on a voluntary redeployment scheme and the lip service (which is all we've seen) on the setting up of panels for non-permanent teachers remind us that on redeployment we have given all they've asked for and received nothing of what we've been promised.

Back in 2011, I invited people to post general information on over quota posts they were aware of and roughly where those posts were. There was a good response. For example, I know of two in Dublin: I understand them to be learning support and Irish. If the DES won't help us, we can help ourselves.

One other question: does anyone know (that is have actual experience) of a teacher in their second or subsequent year of an rpt contract losing their job to a redeployed teacher? If so, when and roughly where did it happen? As we know, the unions argue that such teachers have rights to their posts but the DES disagrees so we have this line about not redeploying into 'vacancies which cannot be deemed vacancies by the operation of law' in the relevant circulars. My point here is that this is the kind of fear that makes May a very tough month for non-permanent teachers and yet, personally, I've never actually heard of it happening. I've heard of people being redeployed into career breaks, new vacancies etc. Obviously, depending on the school's allocation and the subjects, there can be trickle down consequences for other staff. But an actual redeployment into an rpt post held by someone with more than a year's service - I actually haven't come across a specific example. When I say that post-primary teachers are kept in appalling ignorance compared to our primary colleagues, that's what I'm talking about. And it's not a lot to expect our unions, the management bodies and the DES to share some facts with us rather than have us living in such uncertainty.

Just an idea...I've started a thread chancing my arm to see if anyone would be interested in a job swap. I've not had any bites so far but do you think if we started another one, for everyone to add to could we get some swaps going? It mightn't work for anyone but surely there's people out there who would want a swap? Basically a thread for teachers who are looking for a swap to let us know what county they are in and what subjects, nothing that would give away the poster or school identity

No problem with that at all, but it doesn't address the redeployment issue in that swapping is a zero sum game. The whole point about redeployment is that it's about controlling the numbers of teachers employed. That's what causes such concern to people who aren't permanent. So the two are separate issues. By all means set up your job swap thread but we could still do with some facts on redeployment. As you say, nothing to identify the poster or the precise name of the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

lemmno wrote: »
    Just an idea...I've started a thread chancing my arm to see if anyone would be interested in a job swap. I've not had any bites so far but do you think if we started another one, for everyone to add to could we get some swaps going? It mightn't work for anyone but surely there's people out there who would want a swap? Basically a thread for teachers who are looking for a swap to let us know what county they are in and what subjects, nothing that would give away the poster or school identity

Might be worth a try alright, Ill have to pass it up the chain as it might be seen as a form of advertising. Gimmie a bit of time.

Regarding redeployment...I was also wondering could a teacher say no to re deployment on the grounds of it incurring extra expenses. Say if you had to drive/commute as opposed to walking to work every day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

[QUOTE=Armelodie;90241164

Regarding redeployment...I was also wondering could a teacher say no to re deployment on the grounds of it incurring extra expenses. Say if you had to drive/commute as opposed to walking to work every day?[/QUOTE]

I think the limit is somewhere around 53km from your home mark? Stand to be corrected of course.
    I do know someone in cork that got redeployed. Her old job was "on the right side of the city" for her regards commuting. The new job was across the city. All in all it added at least an hour onto her commute in the morning and it obviously increased her childminding costs as well - in fact the childminding was a huge issue as the crèche she had been using was no longer feasible and I think she ended up having to employ someone to come into her home. Which in itself then opened another can of worms as she had to register as this persons employer and sort out Prsi etc for them. Total pain in the *****

But as it was within the 53 km limit (or whatever) she hadn't a choice

Might be worth a try alright, Ill have to pass it up the chain as it might be seen as a form of advertising. Gimmie a bit of time.

Regarding redeployment...I was also wondering could a teacher say no to re deployment on the grounds of it incurring extra expenses. Say if you had to drive/commute as opposed to walking to work every day?

Thanks, let me know!
    I think you can say no to redeployment without having to give a reason, but there is a max amount of times that you can refuse it apparently.

You can be redeployed within 50km of where you work, as far as I know that measurement is an 'as the crow flies' type of thing. It's also from your place of work, not your home to the best of my knowledge because where you live is not relevant to the Dept of Ed. If you choose to live within walking distance or do a 2 hour commute to work has nothing to do with them.

Actually, you can nominate either your home or your place of work and it can be any home address. There is nothing to stop somebody teaching in Dublin but originally from Kerry nominating a Kerry address should they wish.

Is it true there are different redeployment panels at secondary school?

For instance, if you're in a Catholic voluntary school you will not be eligible for redeployment to a VEC in the event of a place being available there? How many redeployment panels are we talking about within the secondary school system? And which redeployment panel has the most schools within it?

• Advertisement

Two things matter: your sector and the 50km radius.

Firstly, they try to redeploy you into a school in your own sector. However, if they can't it goes cross-sectoral and they try to redeploy you into any available post within the radius. The sectors are: voluntary secondary, C&C and ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sal7

lemmno wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any experiences/knowledge of how redeployment works in post primary? I've researched but from what I can make of it it seems near impossible to get. Im a permanent secondary school teacher and I want to move from east to west...but am reluctant to give up the cushion of my permanency to do so-any useful insights for me?
    Thanks in advance!

In secondary sector...
    If you have been accepted for voluntary redeployment you can refuse the first school offered to you if doesn't suit.You can either accept the second school offered or stay in your current school in which case another person will be compulsory redeployed.( Incidently I believe if the v.redeployed applicant turns 2 schools down they cannot reapply to scheme).Voluntary redeployment cases are handled first then compulsory -by the Dept of Ed.Voluntary redeployed people get their offers in April , (first round) , Compulsory Redeployed should know by end of May.If you cannot be redeployed within a 50 km radius of your home or school (whichever you have opted the 50km radius to be from) within your designated education sector for example VEC you will be passed to the Voluntary school Sector for screening of vacancies.(+vice versa). If there is still no match you are retained in your current school.

There is an option to choose where you want to be redeployed to-ie if you were living in Dublin and wanted to go to Donegal they will screen your preferred area for vacancies.

Furthermore yes you can asked to leave your job if not permanent to accomodate a redeployed person.

Its all quite random.
    Anyone who I know that has been redeployed voluntarily or otherwise seem to have got on fine.

Hope that helps.
    Sal

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Is there a secondary school redeployment panel established yet? At the moment there are 82 second level jobs advertised on educationposts.ie.

As I understand it, schools must recruit from a panel composed of teachers from over quota and closed schools first

If there is a panel in place, could these advertisements indicate that there aren't many people on it? I would have thought there is a sufficient number of over quota schools to supply teachers to new posts for a while. A new school in Greystones, Wicklow has no fewer than 17 jobs advertised today. Bearing in mind that the school is fewer than 50km from Dublin (the radius for teachers on the panel) do they have any onus to recruit from it?

Has the voluntary redeployment scheme at second level been set up yet either?

Yes v.redeployment scheme is in place.
    Yes advertised jobs may be filled by people identified for redeploynent /identified as surplus to the needs of their school . The Director of Redeployment (based in Dept of Ed) screens applications compulsory and voluntary from March to May and makes allocations.It states in ads now that advertised jobs are available subject to position being filled by redeployed person. (Not in that exact wording -but you get the idea).Hope that helps.Sal

Sal7 wrote: »
    In secondary sector...
    If you have been accepted for voluntary redeployment you can refuse the first school offered to you if doesn't suit.

This is what I had thought also. However, an ASTI representative said the actual situation is that you are given a single school and no choice. You can refuse alright, but then you're on your own. However, if having spent a year there and you and/or the school are not getting on, you can apply for a second school. But only then, after that year is up. Hopefully the ASTI representative is mistaken as it would cost the Department nothing to give people a choice at the outset.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    This is what I had thought also. However, an ASTI representative said the actual situation is that you are given a single school and no choice. You can refuse alright, but then you're on your own. However, if having spent a year there and you and/or the school are not getting on, you can apply for a second school. But only then, after that year is up. Hopefully the ASTI representative is mistaken as it would cost the Department nothing to give people a choice at the outset.

Unfortunately its not sraightforward;

People who have elected for Voluntary Redundancy are not given an initial choice between 2 schools but they are going do be offered the "best match" within their sector (Vol or ETB ) if possible.For instance if you have opted for voluntary redundancy and teach business studies (having studied Economics) -you could be offered as a potential teacher to a school ( that would suit you ) that is seeking a Maths teacher.It doesn't mean that you would teach Maths there -but they try for "best match."
    The first offer is going to be the plum choice as they want to encourage (sought after) voluntary redundancy moves rather than (not necessarily sought by the individual) compulsory redeployment moves.

Yes there is an option to move after a year if you are not happy with position offered but thats conditional-(I think you have to show they were in error selecting that school for you).

Most people I know who were redeployed got good schools closer to home-they do try their best-but the process can last from start of February to April for Vol. Redundancy and end May/early June for Compulsory Redundancy -a long wait.

Furthermore, the ETB and Voluntary Schools have different administration and payment bodies.If you are moved from one to the other you have to get a p65 from one and start with other admin board a new including getting garda vetting etc.

Also-If you move from Voluntary school to another voluntary school you retain any post of responsibility if you have one but you now become least senior staff member in new school.If you go from Voluntary to ETB /ETB to ETB or ETB to voluntary school you retain your post also but you also retain seniority.The differences are due to different approaches /decisions taken on this by both TUI and ASTI-the variance in practices is reflective of members wants.(This is significant as when people are being considered for redeployment the school needs are assessed and principal looks at least senior teachers subjects etc first-if they are needed they proceed to next person on list.Also elected Compulsory Redeployed person cannot elect to be Voluntarily Redeployed-management will have to nominate a compulsory redeployment person-if there is a voluntary redeployed person the compulsory redeployed person has to wait until the voluntary redeployed nominees application is processed before they find out their fate.
    Note-if you are on the Board of Management as a teacher and are elected for compulsory redeployment you are "locked out" of talks on same.Teachers on board of management have a voice-but the board generally goes along with evidence of curriculum audit etc.

Also if you want to be voluntarily redeployed the curriculum audit has to show that they can do without you for the next academic year; if they can't do without you , you stay regardless).

Appeals can be made (you have a week/5 working days approx I think of after finding out)you have to show the board of management/school management body was in error electing you in first place.

Its hard to get info on this-so hope that helps someone somewhere.

Unfortunately its not sraightforward;

People who have elected for Voluntary Redundancy are not given an initial choice between 2 schools but they are going do be offered the "best match" within their sector (Vol or ETB ) if possible.For instance if you have opted for voluntary redundancy and teach business studies (having studied Economics) -you could be offered as a potential teacher to a school ( that would suit you ) that is seeking a Maths teacher.It doesn't mean that you would teach Maths there -but they try for "best match."
    The first offer is going to be the plum choice as they want to encourage (sought after) voluntary redundancy moves rather than (not necessarily sought by the individual) compulsory redeployment moves.

Yes there is an option to move after a year if you are not happy with position offered but thats conditional-(I think you have to show they were in error selecting that school for you).

Most people I know who were redeployed got good schools closer to home-they do try their best-but the process can last from start of February to April for Vol. Redundancy and end May/early June for Compulsory Redundancy -a long wait.

Furthermore, the ETB and Voluntary Schools have different administration and payment bodies.If you are moved from one to the other you have to get a p65 from one and start with other admin board a new including getting garda vetting etc.

Also-If you move from Voluntary school to another voluntary school you retain any post of responsibility if you have one but you now become least senior staff member in new school.If you go from Voluntary to ETB /ETB to ETB or ETB to voluntary school you retain your post also but you also retain seniority.The differences are due to different approaches /decisions taken on this by both TUI and ASTI-the variance in practices is reflective of members wants.(This is significant as when people are being considered for redeployment the school needs are assessed and principal looks at least senior teachers subjects etc first-if they are needed they proceed to next person on list.Also elected Compulsory Redeployed person cannot elect to be Voluntarily Redeployed-management will have to nominate a compulsory redeployment person-if there is a voluntary redeployed person the compulsory redeployed person has to wait until the voluntary redeployed nominees application is processed before they find out their fate.
    Note-if you are on the Board of Management as a teacher and are elected for compulsory redeployment you are "locked out" of talks on same.Teachers on board of management have a voice-but the board generally goes along with evidence of curriculum audit etc.

Also if you want to be voluntarily redeployed the curriculum audit has to show that they can do without you for the next academic year; if they can't do without you , you stay regardless).

Appeals can be made (you have a week/5 working days approx I think of after finding out)you have to show the board of management/school management body was in error electing you in first place.

Its hard to get info on this-so hope that helps someone somewhere.

I agree with all of this, but again theory and practice are very different beasts. One of our teachers applied for and got voluntary redeployment closer to home.

The teacher who left was our only physics teacher. The replacement redeployed into that position from another school which was over quota was a biology teacher. I am now the physics teacher (by choice) and am doing extra modules to become qualified in the long run.

• Advertisement

I agree with all of this, but again theory and practice are very different beasts. One of our teachers applied for and got voluntary redeployment closer to home.

The teacher who left was our only physics teacher. The replacement redeployed into that position from another school which was over quota was a biology teacher. I am now the physics teacher (by choice) and am doing extra modules to become qualified in

Yes they try to do a "best match" -physics/biology -at least they were both science subjects.That was tough for you but supportive of you-it left your colleague free to move .

The teacher who left was our only physics teacher. The replacement redeployed into that position from another school which was over quota was a biology teacher. I am now the physics teacher (by choice) and am doing extra modules to become qualified in

Yes they try to do a "best match" -physics/biology -at least they were both science subjects.That was tough for you but supportive of you-it left your colleague free to move .

Science, yes, but physics and biology aren't remotely similar at the same time. I'm already qualified in chemistry and maths and have software engineering qualifications so would have been familiar with the majority of what is on the course, so it wasn't a huge leap. It's also been a significant improvement to my timetable so it was win win all round.

It appears there are two, quite distinct redeployment programs: one which is for teachers surplus to requirements, another which is for teachers in schools which are closing down. According to the first source there was at the time discussions on creating a third redeployment scheme, for teachers who want to volunteer to move.

I was, and am, referring to the school closure teachers: "the teacher’s preference where more than one post exists" would imply they don't guarantee you a choice, but if there is one, they might give it to you.

Additionally, "It will be open to the parties at the behest of a redeployed teacher or a receiving school to seek a review of a redeployment decision by the Director by 31st March of the year after redeployment took place. In conducting this review the Director will consider the extent to which the terms of the scheme were met and any other relevant factors raised by the parties. The Director may at his/her absolute discretion either confirm the original redeployment or put in place a revised redeployment within the terms of the scheme."

I'm surprised to read the following exclusion:

"Teachers redeployed in consequence of these arrangements will transfer their reckonable teaching service for promotion purposes in the closing
    school to the receiving school and this service will be reckonable for promotion purposes in the receiving school. This is subject to one
    exception that a teacher being redeployed from a closing voluntary secondary school to a receiving voluntary secondary school will not transfer
    reckonable teaching service for promotion purposes
    ." (Source)

What is the justification for the highlighted part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

The seniority situation. If you were next in line when someone with say two years more transferred over (when posts existed) it could knock you back down. I can see why it was done in a way if I was in that position. If promotion was more merit based it wouldn't be as big an issue.

With the new promotional procedures that should probably be changed as the 4quartiles should balance I out a bit id say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement