Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a Super Sub?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there,

As a NQT (Primary) doing the subbing circuit, I'd love to know from other teachers, what can a sub cover for you/design for you/start up that would really impress you (and your Principal!)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Arrives prepared. Punctual. Willing to do yard duty. Fits in in staffroom. Off the top of my head!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Be willing to chat without being overbearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Arrives prepared. Punctual. Willing to do yard duty. Fits in in staffroom. Off the top of my head!

I hope they would expect to get paid for such duty? I would not expect a part time teacher to do yard duty for nothing- they are not salaried and expecting such is out of order.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In primary, subs do yard duty. None of us get paid to do yard in primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Hi there,

As a NQT (Primary) doing the subbing circuit, I'd love to know from other teachers, what can a sub cover for you/design for you/start up that would really impress you (and your Principal!)?

Thanks in advance!

I guess don't design/start up anything that would involve more work for class teacher returning. That would impress a principal perhaps, not me though 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

In primary, subs do yard duty. None of us get paid to do yard in primary.

Same in secondary.

If you are subbing for a teacher, you sub for ALL their duties, including yard duty

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

Same in secondary.

If you are subbing for a teacher, you sub for ALL their duties, including yard duty

Why?

You get paid by the hour as a sub.

I would not want a sub doing yard duty at post primary level if I were a principal. Its a no win situation for a sub and they should not be asked to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

They are substituting for a teacher.

Period.

That means all that teachers duties with the exception of A and B posts.

We are all paid by the hour really, if you have a 1 year Contract or CID, your wages are spread out into a 12 month salary, not just 19 weeks payment.

If a teacher is out on Mat leave/sick leave, that would leave a hole in
    The supervision roster.
    The sub should full this.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

NO teacher gets paid for yard duty anymore
    some teachers pay NOT to do it but no teacher gets paid
    contracts have unilaterally been changed. something we voted for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

A super sub would be someone who does exactly what I ask them to do, if I have a chance to ask, that is. Definitely not someone who goes off on their own tangent and leaves me unpicking the mess they leave behind. If you're doing something of your own choosing, PLEASE do something that you know correctly and well, and do it properly. Check your material against books and marking schemes.

Sorry if that seems harsh but it's dreadful to pick up a class after a sub who does something their way when you've asked them to do it a different way. Or who tackles something that they can't explain properly or that they explain wrongly. Who basically ends up totally confusing your class, and now you've to waste more time sorting it out.

Some bad experiences here... People teaching bonding when they don't understand it, or electricity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A super sub needs to be virtually undetectable to sonar, extremely hydrodynamic, and have Sean Connery as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

If the teacher you are subbing for leaves work, please cover it or as much of it as you can. I'm secondary but had a sub in for a week due to a family bereavement who did NO work all week with Leaving Certs, because "they just wanted to chat".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I guess don't design/start up anything that would involve more work for class teacher returning. That would impress a principal perhaps, not me though 😜

Does my head in when subs or even colleagues on s/s give my English classes essays to do. Great, pile of English essays to mark when I get back:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sub we had in insisted on being called by first name only, didn't do any of the work left (LC classes too! ....in April), berated the absent teachers methods... when she left we had a few of the students knocking at the staffroom door looking for her number (for her language school business) to get grinds.... oh dear!

TL;DR stick to the goddam program.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

From my experience. I would say someone who arrives early, well-prepared, chatty and interested, good behaviour management skills and covers what the teacher asks. I got a maternity leave after subbing for two days over someone who had been in that position for over 8 weeks. It's ALL about the impression you make. Always do your corrections, also.

Advertisement