Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Superthread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

With one league goal this season, you have to wonder if Welbeck is capable of being #3

Relying on him to actually get goals would be madness, imo.

Sure, RvP and Chico is a formidable first 2, Welbeck and Henriquez is not a formaidable second 2.

Pairing Welbeck with either Chico or RvP is ok at times, but if you are going down the playing Kagawa as the number 10 route, you need a back up for that too. Welbeck ain't that either. Powell possibly, but not really.

Rooney leaves more than one hole in the team, Kagawa is good, but he always looks wrecked after about 70 minutes - even late on in yesterday's game he drifted more and more out of it.

I realise that on this thread I'll get slated for even daring to criticise a United player, but meh.

who was the only player SAF signed twice for Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bale, Fabregas, Fellaini

Come on Moyes, your copy of football manager 2014 has arrived before Mourinho and Pellegrini, make use of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Bosnich.

You could arguably say Scholes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With one league goal this season, you have to wonder if Welbeck is capable of being #3

Sure, RvP and Chico is a formidable first 2, Welbeck and Henriquez is not a formaidable second 2.

Pairing Welbeck with either Chico or RvP is ok at times, but if you are going down the playing Kagawa as the number 10 route, you need a back up for that too. Welbeck ain't that either. Powell possibly, but not really.

Rooney leaves more than one hole in the team, Kagawa is good, but he always looks wrecked after about 70 minutes - even late on in yesterday's game he drifted more and more out of it.

I realise that on this thread I'll get slated for even daring to criticise a United player, but meh.

I dont think we will be relying on Welbeck for goals any time soon. He played almost all season as winger, last season he played as lead striker and did a decent job. Scored against Spurs, Arsenal, ManCity.

We have RVP and Hernandez for goals incase Rooney leaves and also Kagawa. If Nani can stay he will score goals for sure.

It will be interesting to see if Welbeck is played as striker along with RVP with Kagawa as LW or Kagawa behind RVP and Welbeck as squad player under Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

TheDoc wrote: »
    To be honest the more I watch Kagawa play the less worried I am about loosing Rooney.

If he stays we retain a top player, who hopefully will finally bury these silly notions of moving and dedicate himself to doing what he does best and that's driving the forward line.

If he goes, its £30-40m that can be used to bolster the midfield and possibly another big striker. But either way I'm not too fussed, I don't think Rooney hit the heights that he should have, be that down to a physical limitation he can't control, or some whispers in his ears, he just hasn't scaled the heights I expected he would.

I'd imagine the sale of Rooney would be also extra funds. I'd imagine that money has been put aside over the previous few months for targets so I don't think that we are reliant on the sale for new blood. I'd imagine the sale if anything would allow a bonus signing.

Considering Moyes arival, I think the Glazers would do wise to allow him a big star signing to show their support, to show the fans the club means business and to show rivals that even though SAF is gone, United are still a dominating force.

yup would go a long way to turn some of the guys who don't think he is up for the job in his favour for a time at least. i hope those lads listen to what fergie said and they get behind Moyes. we dont want to be like liverpool with hodgson or chelsea and rafa(though i get why the fans werent happy about him). although i think no matter what some fans wont be happy. 12 months ago some fans were calling for fergies head.

as for the rooney stuff when he handed in the transfer request last time we were reliant on him but now we have RVP to lead the line. i doubt the club will sell him to anyone in the premier league. if he decides to sit out his contract he will be closing in on his 30th birthday and tbh if he is in this shape now then i doubt much will change for the better in 2 years time. i think one time handing in a transfer request is forgivable but this now not even 3 years later he can leave for all i care. he has not been in the form that warrents being upset about it. yes he has been played out of position a bit but for the vast majority he was played off RVP and his form didnt warrant him staying in the team. at the end of the day hernandez has more right to be annoyed than rooney but he just goes out says how honoured he is to play for the club etc. sure when asked he said it would be nice to play more but he isnt acting like a spoilt child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Kagawa is good, but he always looks wrecked after about 70 minutes - even late on in yesterday's game he drifted more and more out of it.

Kagawa Stuns Manchester United with Bleep Test Performance

I don't know how true this is, but this story was doing the rounds when he first signed. He hasn't looked overly tired to me, and also I think playing more regularly would combat this issue if he was, certainly if he did perform this well in the beep test.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

Mark Hughes

How much does SAF get paid a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

sea_monkey wrote: »
    I hope rooney stays, such a brilliant player. to suggest cesc would give more for this club is unbelievable to me.

Why? His conduct this past few years has been nothing short of disgraceful, wants out due to lack of ambition (at Manchester United...) then Fergie gets the players to match his ambition, has success in prying title back from a good city side, and he still wants out.

He dosnt want to be here. Let him leave, but make sure you get every single penny you can for him. Fabregas would be a fnatastic replacement, albeit very unlikely. But who's to say he would give as much for the club as the limited Wayne Rooney offering.

The last straw for me was the fact that he couldn't get motivated to play SAF's last ever home game, his own want away agenda taking preference. Greedy as ****. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Mark Hughes

Hughes' first stint at United started before Fergie arrived

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Hughes' first stint at United started before Fergie arrived

Bebe?

It's Bosnich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

And Les Sealey. Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

How much does SAF get paid a year?

I think i read somewhere his salary was somewhere around £7.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Paul Scholes

Fenix wrote: »
    I think i read somewhere his salary was somewhere around £7.5m

not too far off Moyes so, good to see that level of faith put in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kagawa I'm not sure looks wrecked in the 2nd half, I think it's the team becoming more tired and playing direct which somewhat bypasses him and the positions he gets into. There is sometimes still that English idea at the club that pace and power will easily outdo guile and tactics. Sometimes it does, bit it has been becoming less effective for United for the last couple of seasons, winning games 1-0 despite outshooting the opposition 20-5 or something. Late in games the team just looks to get the ball forward as quickly as possible, rather than as effectively as possible imo and some players get overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's Bosnich

Andy Goram too - or is he two seperate signings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Rooney could become the player Moyes never bought but sold twice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So, Rooney has asked to leave again, I can't pretend I am not disappointed that he has not rose to the challenge presented to him by the RVP signing, but I do understand his frustration with being played out of position and dropped, he does have to shoulder a good portion of the blame himself for how he has been treated by the manager this season but we have all heard how Fergie can be when he decides he doesn't particularly fancy a player anymore or they get in his bad books

Even Nev was saying on sky that he is a good lad, have never heard anyone, including Fergie say a bad word about him or his attitude and have no reason to think he is a problem in the squad he joined in the celebrations today and showed no signs of any problems with anybody, he was not the only person to not give the boss a big hug, Fergie actually had to tap Vidic to get the briefest of handshakes from him! Nobody reading into that though

He has given a lot to the club, and if he truly wants to go (I think he may just need a bit of love) then let him go with our blessing and just make sure we get a good fee for him and re invest the money properly, he got a couple of boos which I didnt like at all, he asked Fergie to transfer him if he didnt feel he was integral to the club anymore and Fergie said no

He did not hand in an official written transfer request, he asked for a transfer, I am sure plenty of players ask for transfers in similar situations and we never hear about them.

The atmosphere yesterday was brilliant, amazing to be part of. Shame I couldnt stay on today and watch the parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

RvP, Kagawa, Welbeck and Cleverley can all play the #10 position to varying degrees.

Cleverley has had a good season for England in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a game to be at yesterday. I have to say I expected to have few tears but was anything but.

It was the great mans day and it was a honour to be there. I thought his speech was excellent.

The game was really minor in comparison to the occasion.

Never have or ever will see this type of atmosphere again,

Let's get behind Moyes now and give him time to develop his own team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lot of rumours about Rooney's lifestyle,seems like he finds the takeaway,the fags and a few pints irresistable and that's a big problem.How many times has he come back after a break and been woefully unfit?

When he handed in a transfer request before,he cited the perceived lack of ambition at the club,we signed one of the top strikers out there and the result was him being pushed out of position so he's still not happy,perhaps he'll wait and see what Moyes has to say regarding his future but judging by the reception he got yesterday he's burned his bridges.

kryogen wrote: »
    I am sure plenty of players ask for transfers in similar situations and we never hear about them.

Which is kind of the problem.

If Rooney is playing for United next season and commits himself to be the best player he can be, I'll be delighted. I don;t like the transfer request stuff - but he has been a very important player for us for a long time and even this season.

Whatever happens with him in the summer, happens - but no one should forget the fact he was the main man and key player in the team since 09.

I just wish he had the dedication to himself and his game Ronaldo, Giggs and Van Persie, for example, have - he'd be truly world class if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I can understand Rooney's frustration and equally peoples frustration with him.

He is on a lot of money lets not forget and should be more grateful in that sense but from what I have seen, when he has been played in MF or out wide he has given it good effort and has been exceptional in MF a couple of times actually.

When his name was announced to collect his EPL medal yesterday he got a louder than usual cheer than most of the other players followed by some boos so the fans know he is one of our best players and the majority would want him at the club. I want him to stay also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Interesting piece by Ken Early on Rooney and Moyes relationship and why it might take a but longer to heal: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/rooney-and-moyes-may-not-be-that-reconciled-1.1390794

Didn't realise that Rooney was so staunch in his dislike for Moyes when he was at Everton. Sounds like a child with too much potential, and knows how good he is, the way he acted. Unfortunately, there's little guarantee he's matured all that much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

As said before I think the best course of action if Rooney leaves is to sign a midfielder. See how a 4-2-3-1 goes with Kagawa playing in his natural position.

De Gea

Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra

New Mid----Carrick

Valencia
    Kagawa
    Nani

RVP

Obviously Nani might be gone too and we all know the season Valencia has had.

• Advertisement

Interesting piece by Ken Early on Rooney and Moyes relationship and why it might take a but longer to heal: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/rooney-and-moyes-may-not-be-that-reconciled-1.1390794

Didn't realise that Rooney was so staunch in his dislike for Moyes when he was at Everton. Sounds like a child with too much potential, and knows how good he is, the way he acted. Unfortunately, there's little guarantee he's matured all that much!
    It really does seem like the paranoid ramblings of an overindulged brat.

Remember a story of them doing heading practice in training. Everyone time the ball came in to him, he'd volley it instead. The coach told him he had to practice headers and Rooney said he'd didn't and continued about his volleying. a brat. a 16/17 year old brat.

You'd hope he would have grown up at this point, especially with a family of his own now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Which is kind of the problem.

No, we dont need to hear of all the goings on between manager and player. Things should be kept in house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Keno 92 wrote: »
    As said before I think the best course of action if Rooney leaves is to sign a midfielder. See how a 4-2-3-1 goes with Kagawa playing in his natural position.

De Gea

Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra

New Mid----Carrick

Valencia
    Kagawa
    Nani

RVP

Please let Kagawa play every game next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'd say that if Rooney wanted to leave and his desire was to join PSG, he would likely find that the agreement to sell him would come a lot quicker.

In my opnion, he wants to stay in England (with Man City or Chelsea) and as such, United are playing hardball.

Be different if he was 30 or 31, but at 27 he has plenty of goals / great performances left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

De Gea

Rafael
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra

New Mid----Carrick

Valencia
    Kagawa
    Nani

RVP

I wouldn't put Valencia in as waterboy for the squad Jesus an atrocious season from him definitely not good enough for Manchester United..

Feilani or strootman for Valencia and then the monster signing we all wish for in bale or ronnie

No, we dont need to hear of all the goings on between manager and player. Things should be kept in house.

That was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I Love to watch Rooney as a player but he's asked to leave 2 times too many now. He's not that good that he can hold our club to ransom. The apparent deal he got last time was outrageous.

Knuckle down and get busy becoming a united hero or else f*ck off and join the mercenary brigade. You'll be playing second fiddle to us for another few years yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That article has increased my respect for our new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I wouldn't put Valencia in as waterboy for the squad Jesus an atrocious season from him definitely not good enough for Manchester United..

His season was not good enough for man united but he is and has shown it only 12 months prior. On form he can be uniteds best player. Would hate to see him sold.

• Advertisement

showed no signs of any problems with anybody, he was not the only person to not give the boss a big hug, Fergie actually had to tap Vidic to get the briefest of handshakes from him! Nobody reading into that though

Precisely. It was impossible to tell if there were any issues there by that exchange. The media made it up because it suited their story.

My only concern about Utd selling Rooney is them banking the money. If they replace him, let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And it shows an understanding of protecting a young talent and also identifying, early on, what we all know now. Rooney has difficulties with his physical condition and requires extra work to keep it down.

Makes you take Rooney in a whole different light to be honest.

More I think about it, less I care. This doesn't have the feeling of loosing Ronaldo. While Rooney has been a great talisman for us, for me he's been a massive dissapointment never reaching the heights he should have, for whatever reason, for me most of it his own doing.

Getting 30-40m for him is a good deal, to bolster the ranks.

Rooney going to another English club however, that would be something dangerous and something I wouldnt like to see. If he does though just goes to show for me, how misled he is by the people around him.

4-2-3-1 is usually the favoured set up from Moyes.The fullbacks help provide width,Rafael & Evra are well used to bombing forward & Ferguson has lined up this way before so it won't be alien to the team.

I watched the highlights of the Everton game yesterday and they played some great stuff at times,given the quality of players at United I can see us being ok under Moyes despite my earlier reservations.

Following on from the tweet this morning from The Moose,the papers heve started to run with the Fabergas to United story with a fee of £20 million being talked of,for that fee I'd go to Spain myself and carry him back to Manchester on my back.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-launch-raid-for-former-arsenal-man-cesc-fabregas-8613874.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

zerks wrote: »
    Following on from the tweet this morning from The Moose,the papers heve started to run with the Fabergas to United story with a fee of £20 million being talked of,for that fee I'd go to Spain myself and carry him back to Manchester on my back.

I'll join you! We can share the weight load!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

zerks wrote: »

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-launch-raid-for-former-arsenal-man-cesc-fabregas-8613874.html

Fabregas and RVP in the same team gives me funny feelings in my pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I feel the same...

After all the doom and gloom spread by those dying to see our mighty club fail, who Is feeling confident?? I am for sure, we have a quality team real hard workers and league champions!! By far the best shotstopper in the league. And David moyes as manager a manager with little funding
    At Everton has had some fantastic footballers playing t the club and has turned Everton into the best club in Liverpool by far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If Moyes does want Rooney gone, it could be very hard to find a sale that both parties agree to. Rooney might not want to leave the country and selling him to either Chelsea or City would be very harmful to United's ambitions. Chelsea in particular would be monstrous with Rooney up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

People saying Rooney is holding the club to ransom are basing this off what? He wasn't demanding anything from what Fergie said (which is all we have to go on) he wanted assurances about his place at the club. He also clearly wanted to have a think about it after fergie's news. His appearances havent been up to standard for him obviously but despite having what most would consider a bad season he still scored 15 goals or so and I'm pretty sure got MOTM in a few of his out of position games. There isn't a like for like replacement for him in the world imo and if all he was doing was attempting to see his position with the manager and the club then I don't think everyone should be calling for his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I feel the same...

After all the doom and gloom spread by those dying to see our mighty club fail, who Is feeling confident?? I am for sure, we have a quality team real hard workers and league champions!! By far the best shotstopper in the league. And David moyes as manager a manager with little funding
    At Everton has had some fantastic footballers playing t the club and has turned Everton into the best club in Liverpool by far!!!

Jaysus

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement