Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK 1 Seat Leon Problems

Options
  • 26-03-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi,60

We have an 02 1.4 Seat Leon with 60,000 miles on the clock.

Recently it has started to have a couple of issues that i hope you can help me sort out.

- When you start it up sometimes it idles high and stays high. Switching it off and restarting usually sorts it out but can take a couple of goes.

- With the fan on there is a rich petrol smell or possibly a smell of fumes. I had the exhaust checked and they found no sealing problems. The exhaust has always had a slight rattle after the cat was replaced about 8 years ago but the smell is a recent addition.

It passed the NCT last week with flying colours and otherwise has been a little gem of a car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

Might be no harm to take off throttle body and clean it.

You'll need to get it re-adapted again when fitting it.

a diagnostic scan should reveal any hidden problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

88manta wrote: »
    Might be no harm to take off throttle body and clean it.

You'll need to get it re-adapted again when fitting it.

a diagnostic scan should reveal any hidden problems

They TB can be cleaned on the car with a wire pipe brush thing, a rag and some carb cleaner. Just take off the air box.
    Diagnostic scan would be good alright.

Fumes I'm not sure:confused:. Need to know if it's exhaust or petrol fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

hi,

Thanks for the replies. Vagcom has come up clear with no faults. I will give the throttle body a clean and hope it sorts out the idle speed issue.

I drove the car today and honestly think it is a smell of exhaust fumes. Can't smell anything outside the car at all with the engine running but definitely fumes smell with the fan on when you copme to a stop at lights. Fuel consumption doesnt seem to be affected either. Very strange.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

ra0044 wrote: »
    hi,

Thanks for the replies. Vagcom has come up clear with no faults. I will give the throttle body a clean and hope it sorts out the idle speed issue.

I drove the car today and honestly think it is a smell of exhaust fumes. Can't smell anything outside the car at all with the engine running but definitely fumes smell with the fan on when you copme to a stop at lights. Fuel consumption doesnt seem to be affected either. Very strange.

Thanks again.

You can get carbon pollen/cabin filters that are supposed to remove more emmisions related stuff. Could be worth a go for now but I reckon maybe you need a second opinion on your exhaust. It could be towards the back and blowing up into the engine bay when your stopped.

Advertisement